Print Thread
Better hook setting #8887288 05/01/13 11:04 PM
Z
Zackthefisherman Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Z
I have a bad habit of reeling in line then setting the hook. I think it is because I feel the bass swimming with the bait so I think it is already hooked so I start reeling then the line goes slack. Or I set the hook to early and I never hook it. It seems i only have this problem in my kayak but when im on a boat or on the bank im just fine maybe because siting down has somthing to do with it. Last weekend on Dunlap I would of had a good day but I missed a lot of fish and I usually do every trip and I'm getting tired of it. I think My friend is starting to think I'm just feeling the bottom or some structure or thinking I'm making it up but I know the difference and I know when it's a fish. One other thing when a bass tangles you up in brush what do y'all do because last weekend on Dunlap I had a good fish on and I felt it fighting but it never jumped but then it got tangled in brush so after a while of trying to get it free I just let it go slack and when I reeled the lure just came out like nothing so it had to be a fish. So if y'all have any advice for either I would appreciate it. Thanks

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Better hook setting [Re: Zackthefisherman] #8887549 05/02/13 12:15 AM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Sitting close to the water is your problem. After getting old and having to sit down to fish I had to switch over to braid. You want miss any with braid.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Better hook setting [Re: Zackthefisherman] #8887756 05/02/13 01:03 AM
W
wacobassin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
braid and a long rod...might be harder to cast but you will have much more hook setting power than with a shorter one....i used to know some guys that fished outta canoes that fished with only two rods one was a spinnin rod for all the finesse type baits and search baits then they had "big bertha" a 8 ft long cane pole with a fly reel....they ran a bolt through that pole which equals no drag then they spooled it with 80lb braid...they would paddle right over submerged trees and hand feed line to desired depth and doodle sock...man if they entered a bass tournament you mine as well go home.

Re: Better hook setting [Re: Zackthefisherman] #8888289 05/02/13 03:38 AM
Z
Zackthefisherman Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Z
Thanks for the help and I have been using power pro witch I love but I only have 6'6 rods so I guess the next rod I buy will be longer.

Re: Better hook setting [Re: Zackthefisherman] #8888438 05/02/13 04:35 AM
Stephen Fatherree Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: Zackthefisherman
I have a bad habit of reeling in line then setting the hook. I think it is because I feel the bass swimming with the bait so I think it is already hooked so I start reeling then the line goes slack. Or I set the hook to early and I never hook it. It seems i only have this problem in my kayak but when im on a boat or on the bank im just fine maybe because siting down has somthing to do with it. Last weekend on Dunlap I would of had a good day but I missed a lot of fish and I usually do every trip and I'm getting tired of it. I think My friend is starting to think I'm just feeling the bottom or some structure or thinking I'm making it up but I know the difference and I know when it's a fish. One other thing when a bass tangles you up in brush what do y'all do because last weekend on Dunlap I had a good fish on and I felt it fighting but it never jumped but then it got tangled in brush so after a while of trying to get it free I just let it go slack and when I reeled the lure just came out like nothing so it had to be a fish. So if y'all have any advice for either I would appreciate it. Thanks

I bet it's because you are sitting down and cannot jerk as hard. Try using braided line or tightening your drag. When you think you may have a fish, I recommend reeling the tight to the fish while holding your rod still. When you feel the fish for a second or two and know he is on there, take the remaining slack out of your line very quickly while dropping your rod tip a bit toward the water. Next jerk hard and fast, keep the fish coming toward the boat, especially in thick cover. In open water you can be a bit easier with the fish. A lot of times bass will hang onto lures for a while, and you can reel them in a few feet or to the surface before they open their mouths and get away. I hope this helps.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide