Forums59
Topics1,039,868
Posts13,971,445
Members144,222
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What do u expect out of a fishing guide? [Re: I love fishing] #8881909 04/30/13 05:13 PM
F
Fishin_Ren Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Originally Posted By: I love fishing
I had a guide that rescheduled my next trip for free since we didn't catch any fish. Greay service there and we didn't ask for it. Next trip we caught 1 sandie. Lol. The guide was driving and hunting to get us on fish. I saw the frustration on his face. After all day with no luck we called a day. We paid him anyway because he tried so hard. This was at Lake Tawakoni last summer. Fish on and be safe.

Two guided trips at T'wak and you only caught one sandbass? That guide had done the impossibility at T'wak! flehan Talking about bad luck, or string of bad luck, you seemed to have them all...

The pursuit (where are the fish), rigs design and setup, scouting, the awesome feeling of casting your rigs 100+ yards out, the total focus on the fish and the elements, the outdoors... the total exhaustion at the end of your fishing day,... the cooler full of fish to bring home... Yeah, I'm going to miss bank fishing!
Re: What do u expect out of a fishing guide? [Re: haleisback] #8881928 04/30/13 05:16 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: haleisback
Originally Posted By: JacksonBean
Originally Posted By: Bluwave Mike
Its called' fishing 'not 'catching'. If the guide worked HARD to try to put you on fish thats about he can do or you can expect. Most will cut you a brake next time thats just good business. Or nock some of the trip you were on. Guides have expenses like boat payment,fuel, oil, etc..

Sorry about your bad trip!! Its happens sometimes.

Exactly Mike. We get here on the forum and here about the phenomenal trips over and over again. People don't do too much talking about the bad trips.

In other types of fishing (saltwater, largemouth, etc.), bad days happen and that's just tough luck. That would be awesome if the guide agreed to give you a discounted trip but you shouldn't count on it. Their expenses are what they are.

Hopefully you learned some techniques to broaden your skill set. That's usually why I book a trip.

Sorry for the bad luck. I guarantee you they weren't happy about your day either.

If you spend $300+ on a TV and it doesn't work you should get your money back or your TV replaced for no cost,its the same thing with fishing guides.
Boat payments are not everyday and gas/oil don't cost hundreds of dollars,if you can't give your customers the product there paying for you shouldn't take there money.

Now that's just funny...... You are comparing a guided fishing trip to purchasing a TV and the guarantees that go along with that?

Wow......

[Linked Image]
Re: What do u expect out of a fishing guide? [Re: Bluwave Mike] #8881976 04/30/13 05:26 PM
B
Buffs 1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: Bluwave Mike
Its called' fishing 'not 'catching'. If the guide worked HARD to try to put you on fish thats about he can do or you can expect. Most will cut you a brake next time thats just good business. Or nock some of the trip you were on. Guides have expenses like boat payment,fuel, oil, etc..

Sorry about your bad trip!! Its happens sometimes.

This about sums it up. IF the guide worked hard at it, then thats all you can ask for, and you should pay in full. But, if the fishing was really that terrible, its just bad business not to offer a discount or discount on a future trip. People go back to guides who put them on fish.

Fishing was invented so man wouldn't get bored between turkey and dove.
Re: What do u expect out of a fishing guide? [Re: haleisback] #8881989 04/30/13 05:29 PM
F
Fishin_Ren Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Originally Posted By: haleisback

If you spend $300+ on a TV and it doesn't work you should get your money back or your TV replaced for no cost,its the same thing with fishing guides.
Boat payments are not everyday and gas/oil don't cost hundreds of dollars,if you can't give your customers the product there paying for you shouldn't take there money.

clap I know exactly what you need,...
1. a stocked fish tank, you pay by the pound of fish you catch, no fish no pay... grin
2. fishing video game, guaranteed you catching... woot
3. super market, for meat that is... food

rolfmao

Last edited by Fishin_Ren_lol; 04/30/13 05:37 PM.

The pursuit (where are the fish), rigs design and setup, scouting, the awesome feeling of casting your rigs 100+ yards out, the total focus on the fish and the elements, the outdoors... the total exhaustion at the end of your fishing day,... the cooler full of fish to bring home... Yeah, I'm going to miss bank fishing!
Re: What do u expect out of a fishing guide? [Re: DubTexas] #8882206 04/30/13 06:15 PM
B
BaffinBay Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
1. I don't think hiring a guide is akin to purchasing an appliance.

2. It costs me over $300-$700 to fill up my big boat (90-185 gallons). Gas can be expensive. This is why you have fishing buddies.

3. Guides and friends of guides are going to side with the guide. People who have a bad guided trip will not.

4. A guide who continually treats people unfairly will not be in business very long.

Re: What do u expect out of a fishing guide? [Re: DubTexas] #8882232 04/30/13 06:21 PM
medic911 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Ok I have read both sides here. Being a new guide, what is the line in the sand as far as a bad trip vs good trip? If we fishing for hybrids and limit is 5, I have 2 guys in the boat. That's a 10 fish limit right? So at what point under that do you consider it to be a bad trip? 3? 5? 8?. I have my own thought on this just want to hear yalls.

Re: What do u expect out of a fishing guide? [Re: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish] #8882243 04/30/13 06:24 PM
S
strawdg Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted By: tgravley aka stinkbait tom
So, if I am understanding alot of these posts. The guide should just eat the time, effort and expense of your trip if its a tough day of fishing and you shouldn't have to pay anything for your day on the lake?

Maybe a bit of an exaggeration from what many are saying BUT Tom makes a very good point here.

Just because a person is a guide they have to answer to the same whims of nature as the rest of us, sometimes fish just don,t bite... crying

Add to that the fact that there may be six people in the boat.... All expecting to "limit out" and it is even worse on a bad day....

Yes there are slob guides just as there are slobs everywhere..... but fish quantity just may be expecting a little much at times..... bang

Straw

Re: What do u expect out of a fishing guide? [Re: DubTexas] #8882277 04/30/13 06:33 PM
T
texomaspecial Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
A good guide should say well its tough right now, I cant promise anything. I would be happy to reschedule with you.

Can I get a hot tub
Re: What do u expect out of a fishing guide? [Re: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish] #8882720 04/30/13 08:21 PM
R
redchevy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
So, if I am understanding alot of these posts. The guide should just eat the time, effort and expense of your trip if its a tough day of fishing and you shouldn't have to pay anything for your day on the lake?

If I pay for a guide, Im not looking for a day on the lake, Im looking to catch fish.

Re: What do u expect out of a fishing guide? [Re: medic911] #8883085 04/30/13 09:57 PM
N
nvc_fshrmn Offline
Angler
Angler
N
Originally Posted By: medic911
Ok I have read both sides here. Being a new guide, what is the line in the sand as far as a bad trip vs good trip? If we fishing for hybrids and limit is 5, I have 2 guys in the boat. That's a 10 fish limit right? So at what point under that do you consider it to be a bad trip? 3? 5? 8?. I have my own thought on this just want to hear yalls.

Fishing 1 or 2 locations and not making an attempt to hunt for the fish = bad guide

Not changing lures to plastics or up/down sizing a lure = bad guide

A guide a shows up late or not at all = bad guide

No guide can guarantee fish but if my guide is not working to find fish and put them in the boat then he does not deserve repeat service.

Last edited by nvc_fshrmn; 04/30/13 09:59 PM.

Re: What do u expect out of a fishing guide? [Re: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish] #8883107 04/30/13 10:03 PM
N
nvc_fshrmn Offline
Angler
Angler
N

If you were a guide would you want this publicity

Yeah I booked a trip with Capt XYZ. We paid $500 and caught 3 fish.

Re: What do u expect out of a fishing guide? [Re: Fishin_Ren] #8883128 04/30/13 10:09 PM
I
I love fishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I
Originally Posted By: Fishin_Ren_lol
Originally Posted By: I love fishing
I had a guide that rescheduled my next trip for free since we didn't catch any fish. Greay service there and we didn't ask for it. Next trip we caught 1 sandie. Lol. The guide was driving and hunting to get us on fish. I saw the frustration on his face. After all day with no luck we called a day. We paid him anyway because he tried so hard. This was at Lake Tawakoni last summer. Fish on and be safe.

Two guided trips at T'wak and you only caught one sandbass? That guide had done the impossibility at T'wak! flehan Talking about bad luck, or string of bad luck, you seemed to have them all...

I don't expect to fill my cooler when I go out with the guide. Catching fish is great don't get me wrong. I just had bad luck all around. It was a bummer especially Tawakoni is great lake. Wish me better luck next time.

Re: What do u expect out of a fishing guide? [Re: DubTexas] #8883192 04/30/13 10:27 PM
S
sandjohnny Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
I always work something out when a bad trip happens.Been hearing a lot from other guides on this post could be two sides to this story. Sometimes you cannot fix it no matter what which I never have experienced.
Johnny

http://www.johnnysguideservice.com 8174441286 or 8175976598
Creator of OLE UGLY SLABS johnlu1313@gmail.com
[Linked Image]
OLE UGLY SLABS GO TO www.johnnysguideservice.com
Fish with the Guy who invented the OLE UGLY slab
Re: What do u expect out of a fishing guide? [Re: Paul Rogers] #8883266 04/30/13 10:55 PM
Fishboy Frank Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: The Bombay
There u go terry! U done said it now!!! rolfmao nuts

Terry said I could come along too... He didn't really say that- I was inviting myself. We'll do it legit though come the auction after the upcoming tourney...BTW Looking forward to helping him pick that "new" boat up!

Last edited by Fishboy Frank; 04/30/13 10:58 PM.
Re: What do u expect out of a fishing guide? [Re: DubTexas] #8883282 04/30/13 10:59 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
I'm in the customer service business and understand what it takes to make people happy, you have to read the people you're working with. I can see both sides to this story. I think (nvc_fshrmn) said it right if they are trying but it's not working out you have to be understanding.
I've been on 3 fishing trip with guides. 1 on lake texoma caught lots of fish but the guide was a little pushy at first but when he could see my brother, dad, and I new what we were doing he chilled out and it was fun. 2 Mexico, FML that sucked. 3.Galveston we didn't do as good as we hopped but still did okay the guide was cool, he let us do our own thing. We stayed out about 2 hours past what we should have so I cleaned all the fish while my borth and him cleaned the boat and we still gave him a tip. The number one thing is building rapport with your clients.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide