Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Dobyns [Re: jseago] #8885362 05/01/13 02:04 PM
F
Feljum Shwarper Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Ardent

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Dobyns [Re: papamark] #8885702 05/01/13 03:27 PM
bsouth401 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
There is a lot of thought care and attention that goes into making a great bass fishing rod. There is more than just sourcing out parts from the cheapest suppliers and components from Asia or wherever. There is no doubt that there are some rod companies that do that. Lets talk about Gary Dobyns and his rods. Gary Dobyns is a Bass Fisherman and a very accomplished one at that. Gary has definitely put his time in perfecting and honing his skills. In this progression he has learned what makes a great rod for a given technique. I wont argue with you that there are a lot of good rods on the market today. There is. There is also a lot of junk out there too. There is however, some great rods on the market and in my humble opinion Dobyns rods meet and exceed my criteria for a great production rod. Gary is a serious Bass Fisherman and he makes rods for serious Bass Fishermen. Im not saying if you dont have a rod locker full of Dobyns rods youre not a serious bass fisherman. In the end, buy what you want and can afford. Im just a poor working man that only gets to fish weekends, vacations and holidays. My time spent on the water is precious to me so when Im there I want to make the best of it. Ive bought cheap [censored] before and it invariably causes me heartache down the road. I have confidence in my Dobyns rods and I have confidence in Gary, Richard and everyone else in the Dobyns family and company. When I have a question or issue, I like to be able to call and talk to someone on the other end that knows what he is talking about and actually has some skin in the game. I get that with Dobyns. They actually stand firmly behind their products. Not so much with the other companies I have dealt with. Gary Dobyns, Mike Long, Randy McAbee and others actually fish with these rods and have perfected the lengths, weights, actions and balance. Pake and I have Savvys, Coalition Weapons, Champions and Champion Extremes and for me they are all worth every penny. I dont have every rod they make, but I havent found a dud yet. Sorry for the long rambling read, but I have confidence and feel strongly that whatever Dobyns Rod you buy whether it be from the Savvy Series Champion or Champion Extreme you are getting value.
Brian South

Brian, Pake and Porter South
www.dobynsrods.com
www.santonelures.com
Re: Dobyns [Re: bsouth401] #8886056 05/01/13 05:15 PM
Happykamper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I am pretty much all Loomis but I have an extreme shaky head rod that is bad arse.

[Linked Image]
Re: Dobyns [Re: papamark] #8887375 05/01/13 11:27 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I love my three. A 734, 736 and an 805. Love em but wish they were way less. Wouldn't feel like such a bad habit!

Re: Dobyns [Re: papamark] #8887492 05/01/13 11:59 PM
G
GrantJ Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
A preference for Dobyn's Rods does not diminish the great variety of high quality rods out there. People have their favorites because we are blessed enough to have so many companies that make so many quality rods and reels.

I have owned Abu Garcia, Shimano, G Loomis, Falcon, Dobyns, St. Croix and I can honestly there was not a terrible rod in the bunch. Dobyn's just happens to make rods that I prefer balance, service and quality wise.

When going across a certain price point, it comes down to comfort and preference IMO. Guys on this board can out fish me with a spin cast and a shakespeare rod. If they prefer to, so be it.

Yield not to misfortunes but advance ever more boldly against them
Re: Dobyns [Re: papamark] #8887729 05/02/13 12:57 AM
J
Jigaholic Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Best feel , great warranty.... unmatched balance.... why not a dobyns?

Re: Dobyns [Re: rxkid2001] #8888049 05/02/13 02:23 AM
F
fizzpot Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Originally Posted By: rxkid2001
Originally Posted By: R.M.
dont feed into it. that argument is ignorant, because hardly anything is made in the US anymore. and most products that state they are, are pieced together with outsourced parts from other countries. period.

St Croix(except their low end stuff) and Loomis make their blanks here. Thats the most important part. We keep buying the chinese junk so more and more are made over there. I do my best not to feed the beast.

G. Loomis no. North Fork Composites. Yes.

Gary Loomis has no current affiliation with G. Loomis.

Re: Dobyns [Re: bsouth401] #8888127 05/02/13 02:44 AM
J
JD/76708 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: bsouth401
There is a lot of thought care and attention that goes into making a great bass fishing rod. There is more than just sourcing out parts from the cheapest suppliers and components from Asia or wherever. There is no doubt that there are some rod companies that do that. Lets talk about Gary Dobyns and his rods. Gary Dobyns is a Bass Fisherman and a very accomplished one at that. Gary has definitely put his time in perfecting and honing his skills. In this progression he has learned what makes a great rod for a given technique. I wont argue with you thato there are a lot of good rods on the market today. There is. There is also a lot of junk out there too. There is however, some great rods on the market and in my humble opinion Dobyns rods meet and exceed my criteria for a great production rod. Gary is a serious Bass Fisherman and he makes rods for serious Bass Fishermen. Im not saying if you dont have a rod locker full of Dobyns rods youre not a serious bass fisherman. In the end, buy what you want and can afford. Im just a poor working man that only gets to fish weekends, vacations and holidays. My time spent on the water is precious to me so when Im there I want to make the best of it. Ive bought cheap [censored] before and it invariably causes me heartache down the road. I have confidence in my Dobyns rods and I have confidence in Gary, Richard and everyone else in the Dobyns family and company. When I have a question or issue, I like to be able to call and talk to someone on the other end that knows what he is talking about and actually has some skin in the game. I get that with Dobyns. They actually stand firmly behind their products. Not so much with the other companies I have dealt with. Gary Dobyns, Mike Long, Randy McAbee and others actually fish with these rods and have perfected the lengths, weights, actions and balance. Pake and I have Savvys, Coalition Weapons, Champions and Champion Extremes and for me they are all worth every penny. I dont have every rod they make, but I havent found a dud yet. Sorry for the long rambling read, but I have confidence and feel strongly that whatever Dobyns Rod you buy whether it be from the Savvy Series Champion or Champion Extreme you are getting value.
Brian South

I like......a man speaking from his heart......I have yet to purchase one of their rods.....but I want to.......a few specific individuals have enhanced this desire....

Not a whole lot of stuff is made here in the States anymore, I can see the other side of the argument/discussion as well....

[img]http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums/z451...ser_media_share[/img]
We all stumble and make mistakes. When you stumble, do you want your brother to help knock you down or to help set you back on your feet?
JD
PB: 8.4 (Lake Fork)
Psalms 83:18 (Our God has a name)
Matthew 24:14, 44
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide