Texas Fishing Forum

Dobyns

Posted By: papamark

Dobyns - 04/30/13 11:33 AM

Well I picked up another SS766 yestarday, that makes 3 dobyns now. Kinda likin em now
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Dobyns - 04/30/13 11:49 AM

You done with mine yet?

grin

Re: Dobyns - 04/30/13 11:50 AM

lol, I was wondering where I got that one, I like it for CR
Posted By: Zach Starling

Re: Dobyns - 04/30/13 12:14 PM

Get some champs. I love mine
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Dobyns - 04/30/13 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: papamark
Well I picked up another SS766 yestarday, that makes 3 dobyns now. Kinda likin em now

I got hooked on them end of last year and it is just ugly now, like guns you put them in rod locker and they multiply.
Posted By: Monte Coon

Re: Dobyns - 04/30/13 03:03 PM

I used Loomis GLX rods for years and switched to Dobyns last year they are great rods for sure...
Posted By: jseago

Re: Dobyns - 04/30/13 03:06 PM

Great rods. I have several of the 73Xs with the 735 being the most versitile and my personal favorite!
Posted By: Masterboater26

Re: Dobyns - 04/30/13 03:17 PM

I took 3 to realize you like them? i used a buddy of mines for a day, and was hooked i just cant make myself spend that much on a rod.
Posted By: RngrMac

Re: Dobyns - 04/30/13 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Monte Coon
I used Loomis GLX rods for years and switched to Dobyns last year they are great rods for sure...

+1
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Dobyns - 04/30/13 04:11 PM

If they made them here in the US I'd probably have a couple.
Posted By: senko 10lb

Re: Dobyns - 04/30/13 05:14 PM

I switched over to all dobyns 1 savvy 3 champs and 1 dx can't go wrong
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Dobyns - 04/30/13 09:03 PM

my favorite rod.
Posted By: Pitch n Flip

Re: Dobyns - 04/30/13 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: rxkid2001
If they made them here in the US I'd probably have a couple.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Dobyns - 04/30/13 09:09 PM

...and Toyota Tundras are made in Texas while many Ford F150's are made in Mexico...
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Dobyns - 04/30/13 09:13 PM

dont feed into it. that argument is ignorant, because hardly anything is made in the US anymore. and most products that state they are, are pieced together with outsourced parts from other countries. period.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Dobyns - 04/30/13 09:16 PM

Period?
Posted By: fizzpot

Re: Dobyns - 04/30/13 09:20 PM

There are plenty of rods that are built in the US. Rods are built overseas because it is cheaper to build a blank over there.

USA made blanks and USA assemlbed rods exist.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Dobyns - 04/30/13 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Masterboater26
I took 3 to realize you like them? i used a buddy of mines for a day, and was hooked i just cant make myself spend that much on a rod.

How expensive are they?
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Dobyns - 04/30/13 10:02 PM

If u want made in U.S.A go with Falcon or Kistler
Posted By: Stax®

Re: Dobyns - 04/30/13 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson
You done with mine yet?

grin

So PM this now explains the...Where did this rod come from comment on Saturady!?!?! rolfmao

Re: Dobyns - 04/30/13 10:20 PM

Okie

The one I got is about $170 but worth every penny, and Stax, Yeppers
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Dobyns - 04/30/13 11:29 PM

I recently got a DX-784-CML it was $339.00. I to was reluctant to spend that kinda of money on a rod that is made in China and Korea. It performs very well and I would buy another Dobyn's Rod if I wanted to. I say want cuz I really don't need anymore rods. Just by looking at the craftsmanship it is not equal to one of the finer made American rods such as G. Loomis, St. Croix, Falcon etc. Of course this is just my opinion.
Posted By: GrantJ

Re: Dobyns - 05/01/13 12:18 AM

4 DX's
6 Champions
2 Savvys

Would take something big to make me switch. The ML Jig rod is my favorite and I was lucky enough to pick it up off this forum for $180. Greatest deal ever.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Dobyns - 05/01/13 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By: ko bass attack 27
I recently got a DX-784-CML it was $339.00. I to was reluctant to spend that kinda of money on a rod that is made in China and Korea. It performs very well and I would buy another Dobyn's Rod if I wanted to. I say want cuz I really don't need anymore rods. Just by looking at the craftsmanship it is not equal to one of the finer made American rods such as G. Loomis, St. Croix, Falcon etc. Of course this is just my opinion.

So what craftsmanship points are not up to par with those you mentioned? Be specific cause I am very curious to see what you can point out.
Posted By: jseago

Re: Dobyns - 05/01/13 12:58 AM

What American made reels are you putting on these rods
Posted By: 210amatuerangler

Re: Dobyns - 05/01/13 01:04 AM

I still don't understand the hype behind these rods. They're at best, decent, in correlation to price point in my opinion. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Posted By: Crash8005

Re: Dobyns - 05/01/13 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By: 210amatuerangler
I still don't understand the hype behind these rods. They're at best, decent, in correlation to price point in my opinion. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Have to agree 100%. I have/have had 3 Extremes, 4 Champions and 2 Savvys. They are all great rods but not worth the $ that they are asking for them. I can get a Cara for $100 bucks cheaper than an Extreme and it is just as good of a rod. Of the 9 that I had I only have 3 left.
Posted By: DAVOBASS

Re: Dobyns - 05/01/13 02:39 AM

I know the addiction, started with the Savvy series, good rod...then came the Champ 735..great rod, and then the Extreme 784ML and 795....bad to the bone !

Pair with Shimano Chronarch reel and its as good as it gets...

Dobyn's is ALL I will ever fish with, period.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Dobyns - 05/01/13 03:28 AM

The main thing I saw was the eyes were not as well trimmed on the Dobyns. I didn't say that I was opposed to buying products made over seas JSeago, as mentioned earlier in the thread the reason products are made over seas is to reduce producton costs. Rarely are these cost savings passed on to the the consumer and a copromise of quality is an end result. The reel I have on my Dobyns 784 is a Shimano Core 100mg. Performance wise it works fine. Just me but I like Blonde haired blue eyed women not oriental but again they are both women.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Dobyns - 05/01/13 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: R.M.
dont feed into it. that argument is ignorant, because hardly anything is made in the US anymore. and most products that state they are, are pieced together with outsourced parts from other countries. period.

St Croix(except their low end stuff) and Loomis make their blanks here. Thats the most important part. We keep buying the chinese junk so more and more are made over there. I do my best not to feed the beast.
Posted By: Feljum Shwarper

Re: Dobyns - 05/01/13 02:04 PM

Ardent
Posted By: bsouth401

Re: Dobyns - 05/01/13 03:27 PM

There is a lot of thought care and attention that goes into making a great bass fishing rod. There is more than just sourcing out parts from the cheapest suppliers and components from Asia or wherever. There is no doubt that there are some rod companies that do that. Let’s talk about Gary Dobyns and his rods. Gary Dobyns is a Bass Fisherman and a very accomplished one at that. Gary has definitely put his time in perfecting and honing his skills. In this progression he has learned what makes a great rod for a given technique. I won’t argue with you that there are a lot of good rods on the market today. There is. There is also a lot of junk out there too. There is however, some great rods on the market and in my humble opinion Dobyns rods meet and exceed my criteria for a great production rod. Gary is a serious Bass Fisherman and he makes rods for serious Bass Fishermen. I’m not saying if you don’t have a rod locker full of Dobyns rods you’re not a serious bass fisherman. In the end, buy what you want and can afford. I’m just a poor working man that only gets to fish weekends, vacations and holidays. My time spent on the water is precious to me so when I’m there I want to make the best of it. I’ve bought cheap [censored] before and it invariably causes me heartache down the road. I have confidence in my Dobyns rods and I have confidence in Gary, Richard and everyone else in the Dobyns family and company. When I have a question or issue, I like to be able to call and talk to someone on the other end that knows what he is talking about and actually has some skin in the game. I get that with Dobyns. They actually stand firmly behind their products. Not so much with the other companies I have dealt with. Gary Dobyns, Mike Long, Randy McAbee and others actually fish with these rods and have perfected the lengths, weights, actions and balance. Pake and I have Savvys, Coalition Weapons, Champions and Champion Extremes and for me they are all worth every penny. I don’t have every rod they make, but I haven’t found a dud yet. Sorry for the long rambling read, but I have confidence and feel strongly that whatever Dobyns Rod you buy whether it be from the Savvy Series Champion or Champion Extreme you are getting value.
Brian South
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Dobyns - 05/01/13 05:15 PM

I am pretty much all Loomis but I have an extreme shaky head rod that is bad arse.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Dobyns - 05/01/13 11:27 PM

I love my three. A 734, 736 and an 805. Love em but wish they were way less. Wouldn't feel like such a bad habit!
Posted By: GrantJ

Re: Dobyns - 05/01/13 11:59 PM

A preference for Dobyn's Rods does not diminish the great variety of high quality rods out there. People have their favorites because we are blessed enough to have so many companies that make so many quality rods and reels.

I have owned Abu Garcia, Shimano, G Loomis, Falcon, Dobyns, St. Croix and I can honestly there was not a terrible rod in the bunch. Dobyn's just happens to make rods that I prefer balance, service and quality wise.

When going across a certain price point, it comes down to comfort and preference IMO. Guys on this board can out fish me with a spin cast and a shakespeare rod. If they prefer to, so be it.
Posted By: Jigaholic

Re: Dobyns - 05/02/13 12:57 AM

Best feel , great warranty.... unmatched balance.... why not a dobyns?
Posted By: fizzpot

Re: Dobyns - 05/02/13 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: rxkid2001
Originally Posted By: R.M.

St Croix(except their low end stuff) and Loomis make their blanks here. Thats the most important part. We keep buying the chinese junk so more and more are made over there. I do my best not to feed the beast.

G. Loomis no. North Fork Composites. Yes.

Gary Loomis has no current affiliation with G. Loomis.
Posted By: JD/76708

Re: Dobyns - 05/02/13 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: bsouth401
There is a lot of thought care and attention that goes into making a great bass fishing rod. There is more than just sourcing out parts from the cheapest suppliers and components from Asia or wherever. There is no doubt that there are some rod companies that do that. Let’s talk about Gary Dobyns and his rods. Gary Dobyns is a Bass Fisherman and a very accomplished one at that. Gary has definitely put his time in perfecting and honing his skills. In this progression he has learned what makes a great rod for a given technique. I won’t argue with you thato there are a lot of good rods on the market today. There is. There is also a lot of junk out there too. There is however, some great rods on the market and in my humble opinion Dobyns rods meet and exceed my criteria for a great production rod. Gary is a serious Bass Fisherman and he makes rods for serious Bass Fishermen. I’m not saying if you don’t have a rod locker full of Dobyns rods you’re not a serious bass fisherman. In the end, buy what you want and can afford. I’m just a poor working man that only gets to fish weekends, vacations and holidays. My time spent on the water is precious to me so when I’m there I want to make the best of it. I’ve bought cheap [censored] before and it invariably causes me heartache down the road. I have confidence in my Dobyns rods and I have confidence in Gary, Richard and everyone else in the Dobyns family and company. When I have a question or issue, I like to be able to call and talk to someone on the other end that knows what he is talking about and actually has some skin in the game. I get that with Dobyns. They actually stand firmly behind their products. Not so much with the other companies I have dealt with. Gary Dobyns, Mike Long, Randy McAbee and others actually fish with these rods and have perfected the lengths, weights, actions and balance. Pake and I have Savvys, Coalition Weapons, Champions and Champion Extremes and for me they are all worth every penny. I don’t have every rod they make, but I haven’t found a dud yet. Sorry for the long rambling read, but I have confidence and feel strongly that whatever Dobyns Rod you buy whether it be from the Savvy Series Champion or Champion Extreme you are getting value.
Brian South

I like......a man speaking from his heart......I have yet to purchase one of their rods.....but I want to.......a few specific individuals have enhanced this desire....

Not a whole lot of stuff is made here in the States anymore, I can see the other side of the argument/discussion as well....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum