Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
braid vs mono #8880911 04/30/13 01:11 PM
Happykamper Online Content OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
we were fishing yesterday and I had noticed that the water had cleared quite a bit from what it had been, my buddy was catching 3 to 1 over me and he is not that good, I was using exactly the same jig, finally I noticed that I could easily see my braid in the water, I switched over to flouro and game on, had to put a whoopin on by buddy. I did not know that crappie would get line shy.

[Linked Image]
Re: braid vs mono [Re: Happykamper] #8880934 04/30/13 01:16 PM
P
piscatur non solum piscator Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
I just started using braid, and I HATE it. But I'm slowly coming around and will keep using it on the longer 6 1/2' rod. Buggy whip still has mono and I don't plan on using braid on it anytime soon. Haven't noticed the line shy thing but it could be a factor. Keep ketchn whichever line you use!

Re: braid vs mono [Re: Happykamper] #8881002 04/30/13 01:35 PM
D
Dutch1947 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Last February we were catching Crappie in 35-40 feet of water and I Loved the Power Pro braid I was using. Because of the line shy issue, I always use a leader. I like the Suffix Siege 8 or 10 lb. in Smoke Green.

For the summer fishing in shallower water, I agree with Piscatur. I Hate Braid. It is much more trouble than it is worth, so I stripped all my braid off and replaced it with Suffix Siege Fluorescent Tangerine 8lb. test, and the previously mentioned leader.

You bet Crappie can be line shy. A lot depends on water clarity, and the rest depends on how smart the fish is. Guy Skinner loves to catch BIG CRAPPIE and he told me a long time ago that BIG CRAPPIE don't get BIG by being stupid. I like to catch BIG CRAPPIE too, and since you just never know when a BIG CRAPPIE starts looking at your jig, I don't like like to take the chance he will turn up his nose because he can see my line.

Re: braid vs mono [Re: Happykamper] #8881824 04/30/13 04:53 PM
J
j.steve Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
jigs may be a total different animal but whn fishing minnows they have never been line shy with me.
a Pack's Pole comes with about 50# dacron and hen I fished with a guide on RC, I brought that rig and caught more than he did using flouro and we were fishing shallow using minnows.
I have used it on brushpiles 15' deep and never reel in line ( I put reel on pole), just lift up and swing in. You can do that with a 11' pole, unlike a buggywhip, LOL.

2 Thessalonians 1:6-10
In these verses, there are dire consequences for NOT obeying the gospel. What the world claims as "saved" isn't gonna cut it! Learn what it is, in an eye opening true story, "Muscle and a Shovel", by Michael Shank.
Re: braid vs mono [Re: Dutch1947] #8881975 04/30/13 05:26 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Dutch1947
Last February we were catching Crappie in 35-40 feet of water and I Loved the Power Pro braid I was using. Because of the line shy issue, I always use a leader. I like the Suffix Siege 8 or 10 lb. in Smoke Green.

For the summer fishing in shallower water, I agree with Piscatur. I Hate Braid. It is much more trouble than it is worth, so I stripped all my braid off and replaced it with Suffix Siege Fluorescent Tangerine 8lb. test, and the previously mentioned leader.

You bet Crappie can be line shy. A lot depends on water clarity, and the rest depends on how smart the fish is. Guy Skinner loves to catch BIG CRAPPIE and he told me a long time ago that BIG CRAPPIE don't get BIG by being stupid. I like to catch BIG CRAPPIE too, and since you just never know when a BIG CRAPPIE starts looking at your jig, I don't like like to take the chance he will turn up his nose because he can see my line.

Any fish can become Line Shy, especially trout, walleye, and crappie...and Guy is right...to catch big crappie you have to only be smarter than the big crappie to catch them...

Caught a couple of line shy 2 pounders yesterday...on 20 lb braid...of course, they were paying more attention to my bait than they were the line...also, a two pounder is not uncommon on the lake I was fishing...finally, the water was stained and not clear....

When the shallow bite is on ALL I will use is braid....although as stated below, I am testing with a leader...

Learning to fish braid correctly is a time consuming deal...I hated the stuff when I started using it...later on (a couple of years) once I discovered its strengths far exceed its shortcomings, I began to appreciate it more...There are instances were a leader are good/mandatory....

I put a leader of 8lb Vanish (best stuff there is for the gin clear waters of Canada, where you can see fish swimming 25 to 35ft deep) on a Johnny come lately brand of braid that won't catch a dumb crappie and one on my usual stuff. I have been fishing one of them right beside my braid every time I go out for about 2 months now...sort of testing the validity of the claims and learning the ropes on this issue. So far (my testing is far from complete) it seems, there are a few instances when the leader works better than straight braid, most times the braid seems outperform the leader. I am trying to determine which setups are better suited in specific instances...so that I can be a better fisherman in all situations, and accordingly offer sound advice to those that ask.

I even went and got some of that Wally Marshall 8 lb mono and tried it for leader material (for a short while)...While I don't know for for sure, It seems to me that it is berkley big game in 8 lb test in a floro color. If anyone on the forum knows for sure who makes that Wally Marshall, please let me know...I am interested...

Any way, that is my two cents worth...

Re: braid vs mono [Re: j.steve] #8881983 04/30/13 05:28 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: j.steve
jigs may be a total different animal but whn fishing minnows they have never been line shy with me.
a Pack's Pole comes with about 50# dacron and hen I fished with a guide on RC, I brought that rig and caught more than he did using flouro and we were fishing shallow using minnows.
I have used it on brushpiles 15' deep and never reel in line ( I put reel on pole), just lift up and swing in. You can do that with a 11' pole, unlike a buggywhip, LOL.

I need to get a new long pole...stepped on the end of the first joint on ugly a couple of weeks ago...and was gonna look for a new one...so what do you think of that Packs pole?

Re: braid vs mono [Re: Happykamper] #8882665 04/30/13 08:07 PM
J
j.steve Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
have had em for about 5 years now. they have there place for sure. do I use em deep? Not often, mainly to fish stick ups shallow and with minows under bobber and not get boat close. they are in no way shape or form, light, but you can balanc em easy.
I have three and I taped undrspin close faced reels to them Tennessee style.

Last edited by j.steve; 04/30/13 08:11 PM.

2 Thessalonians 1:6-10
In these verses, there are dire consequences for NOT obeying the gospel. What the world claims as "saved" isn't gonna cut it! Learn what it is, in an eye opening true story, "Muscle and a Shovel", by Michael Shank.
Re: braid vs mono [Re: j.steve] #8882688 04/30/13 08:13 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Thanks.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide