Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Lake Somerville Whitebass chasers! #8444977 01/12/13 03:23 PM
H
hook-line&sinker Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
H

Based on past history the rain we received in the Lake Somerville watershed Tuesday & Wednesday January 8th and 9th will reach the lake and provide depth enough for the whitebass and crappie to move into the creeks and further upstream. A normal year will have the whitebass moving upstream in February, spawning in March, and back in the lake by early April.
It has been my observation over the years that the whitebass spawning run starts early in the Yegua compared to lakes and rivers further north and west. Often during wet years, when the creek will flood in the fall or winter the whitebass and crappie will be in the creek by December and in good numbers too. This is a special time when it happens because few outdoorsmen other then me go fishing at that time being preoccupied with other activities like hunting. It seldom plays out like that and I can't recall the last time it happened but I'm ever hopeful for those conditions to reoccur.
My guess is that crappie are the first to move but I rarely target whitebass before February especially when kayak fishing the lower end of the creek nearest the lake. The first three miles of the Yegua up from the lake can be loaded with new arrivals waiting on another rise of flood water and/or warmer, longer days before continuing upstream to spawn.
Generally the younger whitebass males will not stage very long in the lower end but the females will hold in deeper water until they are closer to spawning.
One thing to keep in mind is whitebass prefer and need moving water to successfully spawn. This is important to know because it can help determine where the fish will be holding pre-spawn and be headed eventually during the actual spawn. The lake level determines how far up the creek the whitebass have to go before finding moving water to spawn.
When at the normal pool level of 238ft the lake effectively backs up all the way to Newmans Bottom at the low water crossing 1/4 mile down from the parking lot. For the early part of the spawning season the big sow females will hold below that point while the males rush on ahead going upstream sometimes well beyond Dimebox to where there is good flow. How far the fish go and how long they stay in the creek fluctuates with the water level of the lake and creeks.
One of the nicest features about Lake Somerville and the creeks (Cedar, Nails & Yegua), is that the best fishing of these three creeks is in the State Park or WMA's making for great public access. And if you pay to get into the State Park and are fishing from the bank within the park boundaries you do not need a fishing license! WHAT A DEAL! Now I can take my "out of state" and cheapskate relatives fishing!
see: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/programs/familyfish/

UPDATE!
I just completed a trip (Friday afternoon) around the lake to check out the creeks. Jerdelle, Cedar, Nails and Birch all have some water running in them but not a lot. Not to worry as the lake nears pool level there should be enough depth at the lower end of each creek to bring up the fish. More rain will make these smaller creeks better for whitebass otherwise crappie will be the fish to catch.
The Yegua is looking good, running muddy and up a few feet. I hiked up to the ridge in the state park overlooking the upper end of the lake and confluence of Yegua and Nails creek. I found that there is plenty of water for the fish to move into either creek. The lake continues to rise and is currently @ 236.19 (4:30PM 11jan2013) More rain is in the forecast and the stage is set for a very good spring fishing season.

>)));> Wishin' I was Fishin' <;(((<

“Personnel is the most vital and important aspect of any industry.
If you’re just going to grind them up, it’s not going to end well for anybody.”
SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Lake Somerville Whitebass chasers! [Re: hook-line&sinker] #8445054 01/12/13 03:49 PM
A
AggieBB Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
When does the WB action get hot on the main lake? I've never fished the creeks (cant get back there in my bass boat).

Re: Lake Somerville Whitebass chasers! [Re: hook-line&sinker] #8445675 01/12/13 07:22 PM
H
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
H
That is a question better left to those that fish the main lake more then I do. From what I've read on the TFF and others the whitebass fishing in the main lake is best from May to December with schooling activity peaking in June and July. Trolling for Hybrids takes place all year but I know little about that method having never done it...

Last edited by hook-line&sinker; 01/12/13 07:22 PM.

SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Lake Somerville Whitebass chasers! [Re: hook-line&sinker] #8448794 01/13/13 07:31 PM
L
lotuslover Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Hello hook-line&sinker. Nice to hear update from you. Thank you!

I cannot wait for the WB season.

Can you give some direction and advice how to Kayak from Birch State Park to the mouth of Yegua creek? How long it take to get there? Is there a better place to launch kayak

Thanks a bunch.

Re: Lake Somerville Whitebass chasers! [Re: lotuslover] #8449020 01/13/13 08:32 PM
H
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
H
Originally Posted By: lotuslover
Hello hook-line&sinker. Nice to hear update from you. Thank you!

I cannot wait for the WB season.

Can you give some direction and advice how to Kayak from Birch State Park to the mouth of Yegua creek? How long it take to get there? Is there a better place to launch kayak

Thanks a bunch.

The Yegua & Nails creek is a long way from the Birch Creek Unit of Lake Somerville State Park & Trailway but it's only a short paddle from the Nails Creek Unit boat ramp.

SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Lake Somerville Whitebass chasers! [Re: hook-line&sinker] #8452188 01/14/13 04:27 PM
H
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
H
The lake is currently 1.66 feet low so everything is in place for a banner year fishing the creeks @ Lake Somerville!

Last edited by hook-line&sinker; 01/15/13 05:44 PM.

SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Lake Somerville Whitebass chasers! [Re: hook-line&sinker] #8455887 01/15/13 06:39 AM
C
Catfish-hunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Always enjoy your reports and videos. I'm getting the itch again. Might run into you this year.

Re: Lake Somerville Whitebass chasers! [Re: hook-line&sinker] #8457419 01/15/13 05:45 PM
H
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
H
I hope to go yakin yegua Thursday or Friday...

SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Lake Somerville Whitebass chasers! [Re: hook-line&sinker] #8469354 01/18/13 03:33 AM
H
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
H
Flood it and they will come!

Yegua creek whitebass caught January 17,2013. The creek is LOADED with them already!

SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Lake Somerville Whitebass chasers! [Re: hook-line&sinker] #8469822 01/18/13 06:27 AM
O
Ozark88 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Great catch. Hoping to hit the lake soon for a stringer of WB. What did you snag em on if you don't mind me asking? Also enjoyed the videos. Keep em coming.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Thoreau
Re: Lake Somerville Whitebass chasers! [Re: hook-line&sinker] #8470579 01/18/13 04:08 PM
H
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
H
White crappie jigs mostly but a few hit a gold/yellow roostertail.

SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Lake Somerville Whitebass chasers! [Re: hook-line&sinker] #8470697 01/18/13 04:36 PM
Y
YoungAngler Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
never been to that creek before, does it have banking access?

To fish or not to fish... That is no question to be asking. FISH!
Re: Lake Somerville Whitebass chasers! [Re: hook-line&sinker] #8471759 01/18/13 09:52 PM
H
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
H
Nearly 20 miles of the lower yegua creek above the lake is in the state park and WMA. Plenty of bank fishing opportunity for the $4.00 per day fee of the state park. The WMA access is free but you must wear hunter orange when accessing the area because of year-round hog hunting.

SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Lake Somerville Whitebass chasers! [Re: hook-line&sinker] #8472235 01/18/13 11:34 PM
T
Tom Baty Offline
Angler
Angler
T
You're making me miss College Station, hl&s! I spent a lot of time on the Yegua this past semester. Unfortunately, graduation and work have thrown me into the metromess.

More stories at Texas Wild
Re: Lake Somerville Whitebass chasers! [Re: hook-line&sinker] #8473798 01/19/13 03:56 AM
H
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
H
Me and the boys will be headed up the creek Saturday morning from the Nails Creek Park boat ramp.

SCOTT REINARDY

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide