Page 1 of 2 1 2
Notable Fly Shops #8338480 12/15/12 02:51 AM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
When Im traveling, I tend visit every fly shop I that can, even when Im not fishing on that trip. (Surely, Im not the only one around here that likes to visit fly shops. smile ) The other thread about online fly shops started me thinking about a couple of good shops that I visited this year and some other memorable fly shops Ive dealt with.

Here are some of the fly shops that Ive been impressed with during my fly fishing years.

So, what does it take to get on this list:
1. Not much really, and it is all subjective. smile
2. Only shops that I have actually purchased something from are on the list.
3. Large chain style shops were not included.
4. Shops that are more clothing store than fly shop didnt make the list.

In no particular order, here are some of my favorite fly shops.

Outstanding Inventory and Overall Cool Large Shop - California Fly shop; near San Francisco, CA. I visited this fly shop last month during a business trip to the area. I started looking around and the guy working said Its kind of slow today, do you want go cast some rods? The shop was off to a good start. laugh This is big shop with an incredible fly and rod selection. Their flies were displayed in the traditional open top trays, but they were bigger and the total length of the display is supposed to be over 60 feet long with flies on both sides. They had fly patterns that I had never seen before, covering everything from salt, to trout, to steelhead, to warmwater. The rod selection was the biggest that I have ever seen with all the major brands plus a couple of brands that I had never heard of. Overall, this was an impressive shop setup.

Biggest Surprise - Living Waters; Round Rock, TX. I visited this one this summer while in the area for a wedding. The shop location is a little odd, from the outside it doesnt look promising, but it is worth visiting. Walking into the shop I noticed a couple of things, other than a few T-shirts, there was no clothing, and there was table in the corner with a bucket full of vises. A bucket of vises usually means a shop has group fly tying sessions. Talking with Matt, sure enough the shop does offer tying, casting, fishing, and other activities regularly. I was very impressed with their selection of fly tying materials, they had some things that I havent been able to find around here. Very helpful and friendly staff that was full of information on fly tying and fishing the local area.

Most Enthusiastic Owner - Juneau Flyfishing Goods; Juneau, Alaska. I dont really know if theyre still open or not, I visited this shop back in 1999. It was in a small space, not much bigger than my office at work. But what I remember is the enthusiasm of the owner. I think anyone that walked into his shop was going to be converted to fly fishing.

Most Helpful through the Years - Three Rivers; Broken Bow, OK. Linda and Jessie have been helping me become a better fly fisher for years. If I ever needed something, they would get it and have it waiting for me the next time I was in the area. This was especially useful a few years ago before so many internet fly shops were available.

Favorite Local Shop and Great Staff - Tailwaters Fly Shop; Dallas, TX. I like this shop and it would probably rate as my most favorite. They have a great staff that has always been very knowledgeable and helpful. They bring in top notch speakers/guests. I have received casting help from Lefty Kreh on two separate occasions thanks to Tailwaters. I like this shop.

Most Female Friendly - River Run Outfitters Branson, Missouri. I think my daughter was 13 the first time we walked in this shop. How a shop will react to a teenage girls questions can vary significantly. This shop has always stood out as one most welcoming and helpful to both my daughter and my wife.

Strong Youth Support and Best T-shirts - Bighorn Fly Shop, Ft Smith, Montana. You dont get to this shop by accident. It is located at the end of dead-end road in the middle of an Indian reservation in Montana. But that road just happens to lead to the Bighorn River. The Bighorn is one incredible trout fishery. This is a cool shop for several reasons. They have a lot of inventory and some of the best fly fishing t-shirts Ive seen. But what really puts them on this list is their support of the Bighorn Youth Adventure. The local guides, resorts, and this shop sponsor a group of teenagers every summer to a week of guided fly fishing and fly tying on the Bighorn for free. Four days in different guides drift boats for free is a once in a lifetime opportunity for these kids. You just have to love a fly shop that puts that much effort into helping kids to be interested in fly fishing.

Clearance Section Madison River Fly Shop; Ennis, Montana. OK, Ive never actually visited this shop, but they have my favorite clearance sections on the internet. smile

Fly Tying Material Selection Golden Rule Fly Shop, ??. I dont know if this one even has an actual fly shop, but they are at many of the larger fly fishing events. They have an amazing selection of fly tying materials in colors that I never see anywhere else. They basically setup folding tables and then pile stuff on them. Half the fun is digging through the piles.

Anyone else have a place to add to the list?

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Notable Fly Shops [Re: RexW] #8338546 12/15/12 03:07 AM
F
Fish Chaser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Blue Ribbon Fly Shop in Mountain Home, Ark. Unfortunately I hear that they are going out of business.

Re: Notable Fly Shops [Re: RexW] #8339059 12/15/12 08:16 AM
B
Brimbum Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
OK I am going to add just a few. I guess my all time favorite is Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellwstone. Craig and Jackie do a great job for their customers and have for many years. I just love the wide selection of tying materials including huge patches of elk and deer hair and the best selection for tying soft hackles I have ever seen. I just love the fact that some of the flies in the bins and tied only on a size 17 hook.

Charlie's Fly Box in Arvada, Colorado. This suburb of Denver also has a great selection of tying materials. I don't seem to ever be able to leave without buying some new stuff from Whiting that I didn't even know they were growing for us.

When driving in the other direction you gotta stop by Little River Outfitters in Townsend. Tenn.

I could add to this list when I am awake and it is not in the middle of the night.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

Have fun with this stuff.

Brimbum

Texas Perchfighters
Royal Coachman Society
Classic Atlantic Bream Fly Society-Executive Vice President

Re: Notable Fly Shops [Re: RexW] #8339208 12/15/12 12:51 PM
S
seaaggie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I really like Ifly the anglers edge here in houston...incredibly knowledgeable, and very friendly staff...hardly ever are out of the stuff i need when i go in

I am a part time custom rod builder, Rods By Chris. I specialize in fly rods, but just down right enjoy building custom fishing rods. I see each as a piece of art.

rodsbychris@gmail.com
Re: Notable Fly Shops [Re: RexW] #8354222 12/19/12 04:51 PM
B
Brighton Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
If you are ever in Salt Lake City hands down the best guys ever are Fish Tech on Highland drive. They do it all though, not just fly fishing but they cater to every type of fisherman. I worked there on and Off for 4 years. I worked with Lance Egan for 3 of them. Talk about a fisherman that guy is unreal. Came in first in the World Champs this year for Team USA

Re: Notable Fly Shops [Re: RexW] #8388387 12/29/12 04:59 AM
L
LC BASS Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
1. Anglers Edge - Houston
2. Duranglers - Durango, CO
3. The Bozeman Angler - Bozeman, MT
4. Saltwater Angler - Key West, Fl

All very helpful and knowledgeable. Enjoyed the stores and guides.

Re: Notable Fly Shops [Re: RexW] #8389061 12/29/12 03:49 PM
D
David Cole Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Rex,

Some great shops you listed...

I have been in the Madison River Fishing Company in Ennis, Mt. Packed with stuff..and they have a good 3 day fly fishing class in the summer, where there is 3 days of fishing around the Madison River area, with some of the best shore lunches to be found...as you mentioned, they have great sales on high end merchandise in the off season...

Tailwaters has a good selection of high end merchandise and does throw some great parties. I've also heard they offer good sponsored trips...But, for the beginner, there are better places to get started with entry level equipment or to take an entry level class (since I'm rather biased here, I won't mention my candidate..LOL).

Three Rivers is great for local intelligence on the Lower Mountain Fork..

In the Austin area, there is Sportsmen's Finest, on Bee Cave Road, which has a nice selection of most everything you'd need and some knowledgeable folks working there.

David
Trout Unlimited Life Time Member
Lake O.H. Ivie Fly Fishing Body of Water Record Holder for Blue Catfish (2.21) and Largemouth Bass (1.62)
Re: Notable Fly Shops [Re: RexW] #8389204 12/29/12 04:51 PM
B
biggerD Offline
Angler
Angler
B
The new owner of the fly shop in the park at beavers bend was a real nice guy and very helpful

Re: Notable Fly Shops [Re: RexW] #8389440 12/29/12 06:23 PM
LoneStarCarper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
The Northern Angler in Traverse City Mi is a great place.
I will second the saltwater angler in key west

State Certified Piscatologist

Re: Notable Fly Shops [Re: RexW] #8390814 12/30/12 02:12 AM
T
texasflycaster Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
I'm not getting any indication that Blue Ribbon Fly Shop in Mountain Home, AR, is going out of business? Their site looks pretty current, and I don't see any signs of problems. Great store - stocked deep with fly tying materials. http://www.blueribbonflyfish.com/

Re: Notable Fly Shops [Re: RexW] #8395051 12/31/12 03:55 AM
V
vhs07 Offline
Angler
Angler
V
My favorite has to be
Swan point landing in rockport

Re: Notable Fly Shops [Re: RexW] #8395947 12/31/12 12:43 PM
B
beto1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I agree with vhso7.
If your are needing anything for saltwater fly fishing they have it.
They have the BEST slection of fly tying material in Texas.
They carry Orvis,Sage,TFO, and Hardy Rods. Orvis,Tibor, Hatch and Lamson reels.
Ther personel service is the best. See Dave Hayward, manager and his sidekick Chance.
If you need a special fly tied they will ty for you.

Re: Notable Fly Shops [Re: texasflycaster] #8395980 12/31/12 01:11 PM
F
Fish Chaser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: texasflycaster
I'm not getting any indication that Blue Ribbon Fly Shop in Mountain Home, AR, is going out of business? Their site looks pretty current, and I don't see any signs of problems. Great store - stocked deep with fly tying materials. http://www.blueribbonflyfish.com/

On the flyfishingarkansas.com site earlier this year there was talk about the shop closing down. I hope it stays open because it is a great place for supplies and info about the local waters.

Re: Notable Fly Shops [Re: RexW] #8408105 01/03/13 05:02 PM
W
winchester44 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
1. Rainbow Grocery in South Fork, CO

Nothing fancy just the essentials: beans, beer and a ridiculous fly selection. Must stop if you are fishing the Rio Grande or Wolf Creek

Grandfather shopped there in the 50's
Purchased my first fly rod there in
the mid-90's when the adults got tired
of me breaking theirs. Most flies were $0.99
last time I was there! Gotta love the name too!

http://www.rainbowgroceryandsportinggoods.com/

Worthless trivia: you will recognize the cabins from the excellent film: National Lampoons Family Vacation starring Chevy Chase.

2. Tres Pescados Fly Shop- San Pedro Ambergris Caye Belize
A good place to start a DIY bone fish trip in San Pedro. Owned by an ex pat who can give multiple guide recommendations and a wealth of sage advice before hitting the flats. I just picked up a few leaders and felt like I was robbing him.

Also, El Pescador is a fly fishing resort that will also deliver a turnkey flyfishing vacation. Have not fished with them, but have dropped in and it looked great. Friends have said it's great. I was told recently that some of the most experienced local guides seem to have run afoul of the lady that owns it.

http://www.belizefly.com/index.php

3. Backwoods- Fort Worth, TX
Been shopping there since they were a small outdoor shop farther up Camp Bowie. They had about 10 square feet for fly gear with a few Sage rods and a handful of accessories. The current fishing manager Stephen Woodcock is as passionate an angler as they com. He has half the 2nd floor dedicated to fly-fishing and puts on great clinics.

http://www.backwoods.com/stores/fort-worth/

Last edited by winchester44; 01/03/13 05:08 PM.
Re: Notable Fly Shops [Re: winchester44] #8408953 01/03/13 08:24 PM
B
bigjhoov Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Duranglers in Durango was a little to slick to me. I prefer someone a little more nitty gritty, like The San Juan Angler, also in Durango.

Originally Posted By: winchester44
1. Rainbow Grocery in South Fork, CO

Nothing fancy just the essentials: beans, beer and a ridiculous fly selection. Must stop if you are fishing the Rio Grande or Wolf Creek

Grandfather shopped there in the 50's
Purchased my first fly rod there in
the mid-90's when the adults got tired
of me breaking theirs. Most flies were $0.99
last time I was there! Gotta love the name too!

http://www.rainbowgroceryandsportinggoods.com/

Worthless trivia: you will recognize the cabins from the excellent film: National Lampoons Family Vacation starring Chevy Chase.

Another vote for this place. They've got everything you need, and just a little more.

Originally Posted By: winchester44
3. Backwoods- Fort Worth, TX
Been shopping there since they were a small outdoor shop farther up Camp Bowie. They had about 10 square feet for fly gear with a few Sage rods and a handful of accessories. The current fishing manager Stephen Woodcock is as passionate an angler as they com. He has half the 2nd floor dedicated to fly-fishing and puts on great clinics.

http://www.backwoods.com/stores/fort-worth/

While I'm sure his intentions are well, I get the heebeegeebees just thinking about talking to him. Pictures up all over the shop of himself, geez.

Last edited by bigjhoov; 01/03/13 08:33 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide