Forums59
Topics1,040,945
Posts13,990,120
Members144,244
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Winter Creek Crappie - Fishing Guide Reports [Re: TarponFly] #8323801 12/11/12 08:24 PM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
FANTASTIC!

Re: Winter Creek Crappie - Fishing Guide Reports [Re: TarponFly] #8323883 12/11/12 08:50 PM
J
jerk Offline
Angler
Angler
J
cool

jerk waiting for a ...
Re: Winter Creek Crappie - Fishing Guide Reports [Re: TarponFly] #8325764 12/12/12 03:58 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Today was the day to do a little walking and check out a hidden hole. So I met up with WylieCrappieMan (Mike) and Jeff, and went for a walk. As we walked to the waters edge, it was like seeing the gates of Heaven. Fish were everywhere and you could see them swimming around, but the cold front had those guys spooky. So, we went and found a shady bend. First cast, I hook a crappie before I even twitched the jig. Second cast, I land another, third cast, I land another keeper crappie. Then I hear Mike say he hates me. -Cause I had 6 crappie to his none so far within under 10 mins. So two mins later he is where I told him to cast and he hooked up with a crappie casting to the timber I was fishing, THUMP, he hooks up. We were landing fish almost every cast and a couple times. We would all land a fish at the same time with a triple! .... Went like this for 3 hours. And was still going when we left.

Now, on this hidden jem we are going to call "Creek X", has a catch. It's runs though a lot of private property. I have chatted with the main land owner and we will tie the loose ends up tomorrow on the agreement of Mike and I using her property to access Creek X to guide clients. So with that said, clients wanting to go just get some meat and have fun doing it, as with all my trips, this is the place. But you can't go back without Me or Mike around per the Written Agreement. Otherwise the other creeks are still good to go and pumping them out..

So, you must pick from two public access creeks, or "Creek X". The home owner has never let anyone pass on her property before, but being a licensed guide and being tight with the Game Wardens, has made her feel secure as she knows Mike and I will be there sometimes and will watch her surroundings for her. Plus a bag of fish here and there for her to enjoy.

All my fish were on Fin-s-Shad by zoom, tiny fluke in smoke color on a 1/16 oz jig head under a cork 3-4 ft deep. Nothing more than 4 ft. Deep.. Mike was using another jig, and I don't remember the color.

Also Thump Buddies in every color I had were working a bit better today. The fluke was just to big I think. White and Chartrues seemed to be best if I had to pick one.

We landed over 100 crappie today with 3% being dinks. Jeff and I kept 32 and then released everything after that due to I didn't need that much and didn't want to walk with 25 fish.. Let go some 14-15 inch monsters too. -Epic Day.

[Linked Image]

https://CowboyNavy.org ( please sign up if you have a boat )

Contact Number 469-528-0210

Facebook- Carey Thorn Foshing Guide
Re: Winter Creek Crappie - Fishing Guide Reports [Re: TarponFly] #8325867 12/12/12 04:16 AM
L
Lovfldx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Not to steal you guys' thunder, and certainly my stringer is not as big as yours, some of the fish are, but, ah, guys, they are in like flint!

Popular local urban creek! Jig/bobber 3 ft under the float, and also no weight no bobber, straight cast, S L O W retrieve. Water was around 6 ft deep.

1/32nd oz. tube jigs on UNPAINTED jig heads. tube color DID NOT seem to matter!

Rudy

Re: Winter Creek Crappie - Fishing Guide Reports [Re: TarponFly] #8325897 12/12/12 04:23 AM
J
jsinn01 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Great reports, and great catches. Some really good info on this thread.

Re: Winter Creek Crappie - Fishing Guide Reports [Re: TarponFly] #8325954 12/12/12 04:37 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
I usually have a long intro with all the info crammed into the first post, but they get deleted when haters come in and mess the threads up. But hang in there, more vids and reports coming!

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Creek Crappie - Fishing Guide Reports [Re: TarponFly] #8326274 12/12/12 10:53 AM
W
Wylie Crappieman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted By: TarponFly
Today was the day to do a little walking and check out a hidden hole. So I met up with WylieCrappieMan (Mike) and Jeff, and went for a walk. As we walked to the waters edge, it was like seeing the gates of Heaven. Fish were everywhere and you could see them swimming around, but the cold front had those guys spooky. So, we went and found a shady bend. First cast, I hook a crappie before I even twitched the jig. Second cast, I land another, third cast, I land another keeper crappie. Then I hear Mike say he hates me. -Cause I had 6 crappie to his none so far within under 10 mins. So two mins later he is where I told him to cast and he hooked up with a crappie casting to the timber I was fishing, THUMP, he hooks up. We were landing fish almost every cast and a couple times. We would all land a fish at the same time with a triple! .... Went like this for 3 hours. And was still going when we left.

Now, on this hidden jem we are going to call "Creek X", has a catch. It's runs though a lot of private property. I have chatted with the main land owner and we will tie the loose ends up tomorrow on the agreement of Mike and I using her property to access Creek X to guide clients. So with that said, clients wanting to go just get some meat and have fun doing it, as with all my trips, this is the place. But you can't go back without Me or Mike around per the Written Agreement. Otherwise the other creeks are still good to go and pumping them out..

So, you must pick from two public access creeks, or "Creek X". The home owner has never let anyone pass on her property before, but being a licensed guide and being tight with the Game Wardens, has made her feel secure as she knows Mike and I will be there sometimes and will watch her surroundings for her. Plus a bag of fish here and there for her to enjoy.

All my fish were on Fin-s-Shad by zoom, tiny fluke in smoke color on a 1/16 oz jig head under a cork 3-4 ft deep. Nothing more than 4 ft. Deep.. Mike was using another jig, and I don't remember the color.

Also Thump Buddies in every color I had were working a bit better today. The fluke was just to big I think. White and Chartrues seemed to be best if I had to pick one.

We landed over 100 crappie today with 3% being dinks. Jeff and I kept 32 and then released everything after that due to I didn't need that much and didn't want to walk with 25 fish.. Let go some 14-15 inch monsters too. -Epic Day.

I think I used the same Thump Buddy all day. I was one of the custom ones that Lane made for me. That has been a real go to bait. One I don't usually hand out to others. LOL!! I used 4lb test line all day and I think I broke off once. But, I was draggin fish thru brush most of the day with that light line.
The fishing was so good that I would hear Carey or Jeff say something, look over at them and feel a fish pop the snot out of my jig under a slip cork. The action never stopped and I had to get home so when I left Carey and Jeff were still catching.
The color of these fish made me think they never left the creek. They were a perfect match to the hydrilla. Very pretty fish. Not a bad walk, and a great way to put meat in the freezer.

Re: Winter Creek Crappie - Fishing Guide Reports [Re: TarponFly] #8326997 12/12/12 03:12 PM
M
muskratbyte Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I requested a trip on your website - you're just the kind of guide that I like to book with, full of information! The biggest reason I book with guides is to learn how to find and catch a specific species of fish on my own. Thank you for the information filled post!!!! I'm sure my nephew and I will have a blast!

Susan

Re: Winter Creek Crappie - Fishing Guide Reports [Re: muskratbyte] #8327623 12/12/12 05:34 PM
F
FishingCrew817 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
alright man im sick of watchin ya catching crappie from banks ive been hittin every creek i know with no luck can i tag along with ya on the next trip pm me if u can i work third shift so im open in the mornings. pleez craving crappie!

Re: Winter Creek Crappie - Fishing Guide Reports [Re: TarponFly] #8329385 12/13/12 12:40 AM
D
Dixiony Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Thanks for info

Re: Winter Creek Crappie - Fishing Guide Reports [Re: TarponFly] #8334793 12/14/12 04:23 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Report is the same. Still catching them.. Only will get better as the cold weather rolls in. I can't imagine it getting any better, it's already stupid fun.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Creek Crappie - Fishing Guide Reports [Re: TarponFly] #8338643 12/15/12 03:35 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Creek Report and Tips:

Trash Piles are your friends, even though they are a terrible site to see. This, is just something you have live with in the urban city limits. The creeks are not polluted, its just plastic and foam trash floats and gets caught up in the creek systems. Fishing these trash piles or debris piles, is easy and fun. In the trash piles, you want to stick your jig in any small hole your jig will go through inbetween the trash. You want to let the jig hit the bottom and then one crank off the bottom. Then with one hand, grab the line and slowly lift the jig and twitch it here and there and work the whole water column. A lot of time you dont even have to move the jig, just hold it still as you can. Even though you are not moving the jig and you are being as still as possible, the jig is still moving. Your heart beat will do all the moving for you. Hold your hand out like you are holding a rod in your hand right now......... If you did it, you will see your arm moving with your heart beat. This goes for fishing out of a boat too. There really is no need to jig it. The boat is moving and so are you. We do the jigging thing when we get bored I guess. I know we all do that! This trash pile is in 3 ft-4 ft of water and provides shade and cover for the crappie while the sun is up. It also holds lots of baitfish and are easy targets for the crappie.

White Rock Creek starts as a trickle all the way up in Frisco and makes its way through Plano, Richardson, and then into Dallas with a few small trickles of creeks merging into it by the time it starts up again in Dallas. It actually goes through golf courses and residential areas that provide fishing way way up in Richardson and Plano before it touches Dallas. So in some spots way up in the other citys, there are Bass, Crappie, and blue gills and all the other terminal native fish. But, the best place to fish out of the whole creek system, is the lake itself and the creek that dumps into it, White Rock Creek. Most people go to Lawthur Bridge and catch them, but if you would walk in any direction up or down the creek, you will find fish there too. Not just where everyone else is. Yes, they stack up in certian places, but the fish are everywhere in the creek system. If my spot is taken, I just go find a new one. I dont really have a "Spot", the fish are always moving up and down the creek systems at night, so one day your spot might be void of fish, so they might have just moved around to the next bend. Its all about scouting the creek and trial and error. I have 1000's and 1000's of hours, bank scouting the DFW Metroplex over the years, so I have firgure things out obviously. Just because you dont catch anything, does not mean you are in the wrong spot. You might just be fishing wrong or they are just not there, plain and simple. We have caught fish in every stretch of the creek system and every bend and straight away. Some spots have certian fish living in them, like Black Bass, like a certian part of the creek and I can target them if asked, but the crappie are so thick, why would you want to catch a Green Trash Fish? lol.....

The lake is full of Black Bass and they also follow the shad schools into the creeks.

Im sure a lot of you have actually caught them looking for crappie! There are some quality bass in there and a lot of babies.

We had a double today!

But, the bass are mainly a Bi-Catch on these trips. We are looking for CRAPPIE!

Jig and bobber this year is greatness. No need for minnows all the time as you can catch them on jigs just as easy 90% of the days. If the air pressure is a bit high or being wacky, Ill bring minnows, just to make sure, if the jigs are not working. We are getting a ton more hits on the jigs when we cast out and just let it sit there. No motion needed a lot of the times. And, when you are jigging it back to you, small small twitches of the bobber, dont pop it or the crappie will pay more attention to the bobber than the jig. The small twitches will keep you in the strike zone longer. Because if you twitch it to hard the bobber will move 6 inches every twitch instead of 1/4 inch every twitch. The long you stay in the strike zone, the better!

The water is very clear this year, so blend in with your background and dont wear bright colors or they WILL see you standing there, if your fishing 8 ft or shallower. Also, dont be stomping around and throwing your bait bucket up in the air to plop back in the water. Be gentle and quiet while fishing the clear waters around town. Make sure you have a measuring devise. I have a crappie taco I carry with me at all times and a tape measure as back up incase I loose the taco.

Today was steady with a bite every 2-5 mins with a few times we went 15 mins w/o anything. As the rain hit, it shut them down.

Guided Bank Fishing Trips:

$150/ 1-2 people ($75 additional persons) 4 max per trip

4-5 hours

Please click here -----> http://www.texasoklahomafishingguide.com/index.html to "request" a trip. In the comment box, put down 3-4 other days you can go and I will contact you later to confirm a day & time.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Creek Crappie - Fishing Guide Reports [Re: TarponFly] #8338824 12/15/12 04:50 AM
L
Lovfldx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
nice report, Carey, you did leave out one thing. You will also find Sandies this early in the season(for them). I found them in significant numbers in one spot on a creek today, and yes the crappie were there, good ones, as well. But the sandies were aggressive and i honestly believe they were just beating the crappie to the punch as far as nailing the jig! I opted for no bobber today, just a cast, let jig fall to bottom, and a slow steady retrieve. Worked, and color was no issue. Unlike the crappie, the rain did NOT slow down the sandie bite. But i left because the rain makes those creek banks super slick and treacherous. 1/32 nd. oz jig with an UNPAINTED jig head.

No camera with me today, and i released everything anyway, and virtually every one of them was a keeper.

Rudy

Re: Winter Creek Crappie - Fishing Guide Reports [Re: Lovfldx] #8338981 12/15/12 06:20 AM
"
"Old School" Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
"
Great reports guys! flehan

Re: Winter Creek Crappie - Fishing Guide Reports [Re: TarponFly] #8339040 12/15/12 07:43 AM
I
icanbne1 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
I
Carey, any chance you have an opening this weekend?

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." Matthew 4:19
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide