Forums59
Topics1,039,238
Posts13,961,366
Members144,196
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Keeping track of line sizes? [Re: The Fishing Physicist] #8323098 12/11/12 05:10 PM
TIM CLINE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: The Fishing Physicist
Just get the label material for the Brother label maker. Use a fine point permanent marker to write on this material.

I write down the date I re-spooled the reel (baitcaster) or spool (spinning) as A–L for the month (A = January, B = February,... L = December). A–Z plus A–E with a dot over these letters, and the last two digits of the year. A–Z for days 1 through 26 and the dotted letters for days 27–31. All of these letters are uppercase

Next is the pound test in which is just one or two numerals. 8 for eight pound test, 14 for fourteen pound test, etc.

Finally, I have company which is done in the first lower case letters.

Examples: u = Sunline, g = Seaguar, v = Silverthread, M = Mason, T = Trilene, P = Power Pro, D = Daiwi, n = Stren, and so forth. Note that if I use the first letter it is upper case as the first letters of these brands capitalized due to the brand names being proper nouns. For those brands that I use a letter other than the first letter of the brand name I use a lower case letter to designate these brands.

With the type of line from a particular company with a second lower case letter.

Examples: Seaguar InvizX = sx, Sunline Sniper = up, Sunline Shooter = uh. Note that I use p in prefrence to n for Sniper because a p is less likely to be mistaken for an h, and vice-versa.

So if I have say 12 pound test P-Line CX Premium on a reel, and I put this line on the reel on October 18, 2011, I would maker the label as: Jr11-p12. The J being for October, the r being for the 18th, the - for P-Line, and the p being for CX Premium. For CXX extra strong P-Line I use an x.

The up side of this method is that it is very compact. The down side is that it’s not as transparent to others as more conventional methods, and sometimes it takes a bit for me to remember how this code works.

After making up the label I adhere it to the inside of the spool bell on spinning reels, and onto the bottom of the reel seat mount on baitcasting reels.

TFP

Wow, I must be doing something wrong all I use is Izor and I do not write anything anywhere. If I cannot remember what I put on my rod its been on too long!!!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Keeping track of line sizes? [Re: bassdreamer] #8323110 12/11/12 05:13 PM
S
seanw1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
If you have rod gloves you can try this. I get a big safety pin and put duct tape on it, I then put the date I put on the line, size, and type. Then I just thread that safety pin through the openings on the rod glove. Easy on and off when I want to change the tape!

Re: Keeping track of line sizes? [Re: bassdreamer] #8323135 12/11/12 05:19 PM
J
JDWchampion Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I stick with only a few line sizes so its fairly simple. one or two in flouro and one or two in braid

Re: Keeping track of line sizes? [Re: bassdreamer] #8323171 12/11/12 05:29 PM
P
Puma Jim Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
there is a product called reel stx or sticks that I have been using for years. It is a bunch of circle tabs that you peel and put on side of the reel for the type of line you have. Great product.

Re: Keeping track of line sizes? [Re: Trickster] #8323284 12/11/12 06:03 PM
210amatuerangler Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Trickster
I just know.

+1

Originally Posted By: Scott N
You know the old saying

If it floats, flys, or f___s it is always cheaper to rent!

You have to decide which is more important.
Re: Keeping track of line sizes? [Re: bassdreamer] #8323597 12/11/12 07:21 PM
reeltexan Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity

I use 6, 10, 12, 14, 17 and 20 in mono.
Depending on the reel and the rod action, I know which is paired with which.

Simple is better.

"..The pleasantist angling is to see the fish
Cut with her golden oars the silver stream,
And greedily devour the treacherous bait.
Bill Shakespeare

[Linked Image]
Re: Keeping track of line sizes? [Re: BThomas] #8324089 12/11/12 09:45 PM
B
Bassen Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: 95-Ranger
Just get the label material for the Brother label maker. Use a fine point permanent marker to write on this material.

I write down the date I re-spooled the reel (baitcaster) or spool (spinning) as AL for the month (A = January, B = February,... L = December). AZ plus AE with a dot over these letters, and the last two digits of the year. AZ for days 1 through 26 and the dotted letters for days 2731. All of these letters are uppercase

Next is the pound test in which is just one or two numerals. 8 for eight pound test, 14 for fourteen pound test, etc.

Examples: u = Sunline, g = Seaguar, v = Silverthread, M = Mason, T = Trilene, P = Power Pro, D = Daiwi, n = Stren, and so forth. Note that if I use the first letter it is upper case as the first letters of these brands capitalized due to the brand names being proper nouns. For those brands that I use a letter other than the first letter of the brand name I use a lower case letter to designate these brands.

With the type of line from a particular company with a second lower case letter.

Examples: Seaguar InvizX = sx, Sunline Sniper = up, Sunline Shooter = uh. Note that I use p in prefrence to n for Sniper because a p is less likely to be mistaken for an h, and vice-versa.

So if I have say 12 pound test P-Line CX Premium on a reel, and I put this line on the reel on October 18, 2011, I would maker the label as: Jr11-p12. The J being for October, the r being for the 18th, the - for P-Line, and the p being for CX Premium. For CXX extra strong P-Line I use an x.

The up side of this method is that it is very compact. The down side is that its not as transparent to others as more conventional methods, and sometimes it takes a bit for me to remember how this code works.

After making up the label I adhere it to the inside of the spool bell on spinning reels, and onto the bottom of the reel seat mount on baitcasting reels.

TFP

Put the pipe down and step away.
rolfmao frkazoid

Re: Keeping track of line sizes? [Re: bassdreamer] #8325389 12/12/12 02:42 AM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Digital calipers?

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Keeping track of line sizes? [Re: bassdreamer] #8325517 12/12/12 03:15 AM
F
Fishspanker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
I look at the reel and say "yep that's 20# Big Game."

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Re: Keeping track of line sizes? [Re: bassdreamer] #8325790 12/12/12 04:02 AM
afrifle Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Number or letter each reel with a sharpie and write it down on an index card. On the card keep track of what rod, line date etc. Doesn't wash off like a sticker. Easy to review the lineup card and swap out reels or combos as needed this way.

Re: Keeping track of line sizes? [Re: The Fishing Physicist] #8325890 12/12/12 04:22 AM
C
CENTEX Toad Hunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C

I write down the date I re-spooled the reel (baitcaster) or spool (spinning) as AL for the month (A = January, B = February,... L = December). AZ plus AE with a dot over these letters, and the last two digits of the year. AZ for days 1 through 26 and the dotted letters for days 2731. All of these letters are uppercase

The up side of this method is that it is very compact. The down side is that its not as transparent to others as more conventional methods, and sometimes it takes a bit for me to remember how this code works.

TFP

Are you freak'n kidd'n me? WOW! I can see your system working for me...just as soon as I find my secret decoder ring. LOL. Seriously, whatever works for you. Everyone has a system.

"If you've quit learn'n, you might'as well quit fish'n cuz yer not catch'n as many fish as ya should be!"
Re: Keeping track of line sizes? [Re: bassdreamer] #8325924 12/12/12 04:30 AM
90 5.0 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Stren used to come with little stickers in the box with what lb test it was, I really miss those

Re: Keeping track of line sizes? [Re: JG ZX250] #8326005 12/12/12 04:48 AM
S
Stax Offline
Backseater
Backseater
S
Originally Posted By: JG ZX250
Originally Posted By: JiggyTime
Sharpie does the trick.

Yep, i use a sharpie and right line size and either a M for mono or an F for fluoro. I put it on the butt of the rod.

"If it swims I'll catch it and if its wild I'll hunt it!!!"
Re: Keeping track of line sizes? [Re: CENTEX Toad Hunter] #8326250 12/12/12 09:10 AM
The Fishing Physicist Offline
YOLO
YOLO
Originally Posted By: CENTEX Toad Hunter

TFP

Are you freak'n kidd'n me? WOW! I can see your system working for me...just as soon as I find my secret decoder ring. LOL. Seriously, whatever works for you. Everyone has a system.

Admittedly its my system, and it reflects my approach to the organization of my tackle. I place a premium on the compactness of the info. on line labels. As I created this system it makes perfect sense to me, thus I have no difficulty in remembering how the system works.

TFP

Above all else hold these two things in the greatest of circumspection; government and self.

YOLO=Schiefspiegler
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide