Print Thread
Help needed re: Sabine R for Bassmaster Mag #8273150 11/27/12 09:55 PM
J
Jay Kumar Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
hey guys (and gals), putting together a piece on the 2013 Elite schedule for Bassmaster magazine. We're using BassGold.com to crunch pattern data and come with patterns that should work, but the Sabine does not seem to be a popular place for bass derbies -- I've covered tourneys for many years, never one there. I'm assuming some Sabine bassers are on here, would appreciate some GENERAL info -- not looking for any secrets! Qs are:

1. Is the Sabine tidal in the Orange, TX area or is it a lock/dam fishery? Or maybe L&D up north and tidal below? Asking about the area covered by the assumed max runs these guys will make, and right now I don't have info on any off-limits areas.

2. What water body is similar to the Sabine River for March bass fishing. For ex, I assume the Elites will be there during the spawn, which means this should be a backwater deal like the Red River or....? (That may be dead wrong, just an example of an apples to apples/pears comparison.)

3. If it will be a backwater (or other) pattern, what's the predominant cover -- cypress, veg, etc?

4. Dang it I had another question but am having an Ace Frehley moment. Will put it below if/when it comes to me.

Very much appreciate any help here.

Don't think I'll be able to give TFF props in the mag, but should be able to on Bassmaster.com around the time of the tourney.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Help needed re: Sabine R for Bassmaster Mag [Re: Jay Kumar] #8273220 11/27/12 10:20 PM
Traybird Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I would think it will fish more like the atchafalaya basin. It is tidal and brackish. There are no locks only salt water barriers depending on what river you run up in to. All the gates will be open for the anglers. The anglers can run as far as they want they just cannot run into the gulf of Mexico. Cypress and grass will be the predominate cover. I sent you a PM also.

Re: Help needed re: Sabine R for Bassmaster Mag [Re: Jay Kumar] #8273290 11/27/12 10:41 PM
Bigron119 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
With no limits on where they can travel it will be limitless the type of fishing they will be able to do. Lake fishing in Lake Calcisieu in Louisiana to river fishing in Texas and even the Intercoastal Canal. Here is a link from an old topic discussing this. Maybe you can get some ideas or PM contact some of the people more familiar with the fishery.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/7941600/1

Last edited by Bigron119; 11/27/12 10:44 PM.
Re: Help needed re: Sabine R for Bassmaster Mag [Re: Jay Kumar] #8274455 11/28/12 03:20 AM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
I dont know the whole area but if they fish taylors it will be backwaters and vegitation if any is there with some cypress in spots. Same with hildebrant. Below the salt water barrier on the neches it will be cypress trees way back in the slews and bayous. North of the barrier is muddy but will be the same. Really depends on rain too. It can muddy all the river stuff and kill the bite.

Re: Help needed re: Sabine R for Bassmaster Mag [Re: Jay Kumar] #8274784 11/28/12 05:31 AM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
It really depends on what direction you head. North, south, east, or west all present a different type of situation. I know a lot about the neches but it looks and fishes different than the sabine. It could easily be an event where a guy has an area all to himself for 4 days and never see a boat. Its endless how far someone can run if they wanted to.

Last edited by Jaret Latta; 11/28/12 05:32 AM.
Re: Help needed re: Sabine R for Bassmaster Mag [Re: Jay Kumar] #8275347 11/28/12 02:34 PM
J
Jimfishes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Sabine is a tidal river with no locks and the primary cover is cypress knees, cypress trees, grassy shorelines and points. Like most river systems, timing the tidal movement up and down the many miles of river will be key. There are a lot of marsh cuts/drains that flow into the river along with man-made old logging cuts on the Texas side just north of the Interstate 10 bridge. There are several bayous that branch off the river and they offer an abundant amount of vegetation, cypress, and small marsh drains to fish. March will certainly offer some prime spawn fishing for the Elites with the obvious challenge of finding the larger bass. Anyone can fish this river with small lures and usually catch 15-50 bass in an 8 hour day if they don't mind burning fuel. I used to fish this river with the same lures I used on Toledo Bend & Sam Rayburn and had limited success. But when I started downsizing my lures and line about 15 yrs ago, it completely changed things for me. Catching fish in March is not going to be an issue for the Elites, but finding the larger ones will be the challenge. I will be in the boat with an Elite angler as a Marshal and can't wait. I'm going to learn from the best on a river I've fished since 1974.

Re: Help needed re: Sabine R for Bassmaster Mag [Re: Jay Kumar] #8275423 11/28/12 02:54 PM
L
LukeMcFarlane Offline
Angler
Angler
L
I 2nd what traybird said.

Re: Help needed re: Sabine R for Bassmaster Mag [Re: Jay Kumar] #8275596 11/28/12 03:43 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Im predicting most guys wont even be on the sabine, just too many other options.

Re: Help needed re: Sabine R for Bassmaster Mag [Re: Jimfishes] #8276317 11/28/12 07:02 PM
slshaneus Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted By: Boat4life
Sabine is a tidal river with no locks and the primary cover is cypress knees, cypress trees, grassy shorelines and points. Like most river systems, timing the tidal movement up and down the many miles of river will be key. There are a lot of marsh cuts/drains that flow into the river along with man-made old logging cuts on the Texas side just north of the Interstate 10 bridge. There are several bayous that branch off the river and they offer an abundant amount of vegetation, cypress, and small marsh drains to fish. March will certainly offer some prime spawn fishing for the Elites with the obvious challenge of finding the larger bass. Anyone can fish this river with small lures and usually catch 15-50 bass in an 8 hour day if they don't mind burning fuel. I used to fish this river with the same lures I used on Toledo Bend & Sam Rayburn and had limited success. But when I started downsizing my lures and line about 15 yrs ago, it completely changed things for me. Catching fish in March is not going to be an issue for the Elites, but finding the larger ones will be the challenge. I will be in the boat with an Elite angler as a Marshal and can't wait. I'm going to learn from the best on a river I've fished since 1974.

i agree, i will also be a marshall at the tournament, looking forward to see if these guys find some of the same spots i fish, but theres no telling whether their going to louisiana, taylors, or north. hope they take it slow up river till they run it a few times, watch out for the immovable metal objects.....curious to see if anyone fishes in the 30+ feet of water in some spots of the river

Last edited by slshaneus; 11/28/12 07:03 PM.
Re: Help needed re: Sabine R for Bassmaster Mag [Re: Jarrett Latta] #8276623 11/28/12 08:24 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Im predicting most guys wont even be on the sabine, just too many other options.
I agree with that. I also think the top people will be fishing the same few areas. Unless some one takes that run to the north part of the neches which wont leave much fishing time. Its going to be a real interesting tourney for sure. I like it when they can run 100 miles one way and spread the feild out.

Re: Help needed re: Sabine R for Bassmaster Mag [Re: the skipper] #8276673 11/28/12 08:39 PM
Jay Kendrick Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: the skipper
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
I agree with that. I also think the top people will be fishing the same few areas. Unless some one takes that run to the north part of the neches which wont leave much fishing time. Its going to be a real interesting tourney for sure. I like it when they can run 100 miles one way and spread the feild out.

+1. I might drag the boat down there and be an observer for this oone. Not too far from school.

Re: Help needed re: Sabine R for Bassmaster Mag [Re: Jay Kumar] #8279184 11/29/12 02:50 PM
J
Jimfishes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Any more Sabine River fishermen?

Re: Help needed re: Sabine R for Bassmaster Mag [Re: Jay Kumar] #8284208 11/30/12 08:15 PM
J
Jay Kumar Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Thought I posted a response here, don't know what happened to it....

First, thanks much, including the guys who offered to have a convo, I'll take you up on that for sure. Second, here's what I think you're saying followed by some Qs:

> Tidal, like the Atch Basin
> Spawn
> Backwaters, cuts/canals
> Wood and veg

Qs:

1. Does it fish like the Louisiana/MS Delta too?

2. Will any fish be pre- or post-spawn? Thinking of Skeet Reese winning on the Red R fishing a coming/going spot.

3. Any backwaters known as being way better than others (like "Joe's hole" or whatever) or is it hit or miss depending on the conditions?

4. I'm assuming tubes/craws and maybe cranks are the deal?

Any help appreciated....

Re: Help needed re: Sabine R for Bassmaster Mag [Re: Jay Kumar] #8284242 11/30/12 08:28 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
I think crankbaits and spinnerbaits/chatterbaits will be primary baits followed by flipping.

Re: Help needed re: Sabine R for Bassmaster Mag [Re: Jay Kumar] #8285011 12/01/12 12:11 AM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
You could compare parts to the delta down south. Up the rivers theres way less vegitation, more wood. Depending on how cold the winter is they could be both stages of spawn which is what im thinking they will be. I dont think i know enough about the LA water and northern water to say whats best, but the neches and taylors bayou and hildebrant bayou are places that hold limits with oppritunity for a kicker. Cranks, spinnerbaits, and flipping baits should be the deal. If the water warms enough a frog could work its way in there but thats a big IF.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide