Re: TIMBER OR BRUSH ???/ [Re: jdw1] #8192048 11/05/12 03:28 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: jdw1
What size is that tank? If you dechlorinate the water will they always survive?

the tank is 55 gallons and I use a product called PRIME .you can get it at most places that sell fish supplies. just add it to tap water, and VIOLA.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: TIMBER OR BRUSH ???/ [Re: leanin post] #8193236 11/05/12 08:38 PM
Beltonbanger� Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Is that fish concidered part of your daily bag limit? Then again....is it 10in. What are the regs on all that stuff? I wanted to keep one but wondered if I could?

The "no bull" fish taxidermist!!!!!

Visit me on Facebook!!!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fin-and-Bones-Taxidermy/337236589711827?ref=stream
Re: TIMBER OR BRUSH ???/ [Re: leanin post] #8193683 11/05/12 10:40 PM
L
lakedawg Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
that's great! you a piece of work. love the passion...

pm sent

Bob-R Hand Tied Crappie Jigs
"Field Tested Since 1978"

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bob-R-Crappie-Jigs/157676360942108?v=photos & click on the photo titled "Bob-R Hand tied Crappie Jigs" for more colors

Re: TIMBER OR BRUSH ???/ [Re: Beltonbanger�] #8193712 11/05/12 10:48 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: Beltonbanger
Is that fish concidered part of your daily bag limit? Then again....is it 10in. What are the regs on all that stuff? I wanted to keep one but wondered if I could?

Wow you sure worry abt alot of stuff, it is actually 11 inches, and part of a very important scientific experiment. If he croaks I shall eat him. so I will make sure and just keep 24 every day in case he croaks.. lol

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: TIMBER OR BRUSH ???/ [Re: leanin post] #8193747 11/05/12 10:59 PM
Laner Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Hey Steve, when he gets to three pounds, would you mind giving me a call? I'd like to say I caught a three pounder.

Check Out The New Website!!!

TCU Alumni class of 2009

Owner/Operator Ft. Worth's Premiere Guide Service: www.ftworthfishing.com
817-266-9811

Re: TIMBER OR BRUSH ???/ [Re: leanin post] #8193749 11/05/12 10:59 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Hey BANG Bang, have you ever been to Cabellas and seen thier fish in thier tank,, they have Bass and crappie, maybe we need to go check thier fishing liscense.. haha

Re: TIMBER OR BRUSH ???/ [Re: Laner] #8193752 11/05/12 11:00 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: Guide Lane Palmer
Hey Steve, when he gets to three pounds, would you mind giving me a call? I'd like to say I caught a three pounder.

heck Lane for a dozen thump buddies you can bring your rod and reel to the casa, and really catch him.. lol

Last edited by leanin post; 11/05/12 11:01 PM.

Re: TIMBER OR BRUSH ???/ [Re: leanin post] #8193800 11/05/12 11:18 PM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

I'm second in line to reel it in...Let me know what day is best for feeding...Oh and I do have a fishing license just so you know...

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: TIMBER OR BRUSH ???/ [Re: leanin post] #8199070 11/07/12 04:04 AM
Laner Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I'll be there. What color do you want?

Check Out The New Website!!!

TCU Alumni class of 2009

Owner/Operator Ft. Worth's Premiere Guide Service: www.ftworthfishing.com
817-266-9811

Re: TIMBER OR BRUSH ???/ [Re: leanin post] #8199928 11/07/12 12:40 PM
OkieBob Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Lane, would that be 'shootin fish in a barrel'? Just askin

I'M SOONER BORN, SOONER BRED AND WHEN I DIE I'LL BE SOONER DEAD!
Chickasaw proud.
[Linked Image]CallMatthew@972-754-1698 http://jigumjigs.com

MEMBER WALLY MARSHALL'S MR CRAPPIE PROSTAFF
MEMBER JIGUM JIGS PROSTAFF
Re: TIMBER OR BRUSH ???/ [Re: leanin post] #8235112 11/16/12 01:50 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
last night around 9.30, the crappie got really hungry and started stalking the 7 minnows that are in the tank right now.. He would open his mouth really wide, and close it, then start zeroing in on them. This went on for abt a half hour, with the minnows swimming in a tight pod , from one side of the tank to the other, trying not to be the one closest to the crappie. The crappie followed them around looking for a shot, but never took one. Then I turned the light out in the aquarium, and almost instantly I heard a commotion in the tank, and turned the light back on.
The crappie had eaten a minnow, as I could see the fine scales of the missing minnow, flickering in the tank near the crappie.
Watching how the crappie is feeding really shows how much of a reaction bite type fish the crappie is. He took that split second that the light went off in the tank, to nail a disoriented minnow. I have noticed also, that when I go get a fresh bag of minnows, and pour them into the tank, he will usually get one as the minnows are going in. (reactionary bite).
Last night the crappie ate 2 minnows total. This morning the minnows remaining are swimming carefree right near the crappie like they know he is not in feeding mode anymore.

Re: TIMBER OR BRUSH ???/ [Re: leanin post] #8235521 11/16/12 03:42 PM
H
Huntin & Fishin Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
H
Caution! I had a 10 pound bass in my tank, watching her feed was a sight. It is a suction that occurs and not a bite. The crawdads would get all postured up in defense, pincher ready for action, flair of the gills and it was gone! I came home one evening to a flooded house, chasing her prey around the tank she knocked the filter pump hose loose and out of the tank! With a 110 + gallons on the floor that covered three rooms. My wife was not happy with me to say the least.

Re: TIMBER OR BRUSH ???/ [Re: Huntin & Fishin] #8235638 11/16/12 04:09 PM
Bobcat1 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Huntin & Fishin
Caution! I had a 10 pound bass in my tank, watching her feed was a sight. It is a suction that occurs and not a bite. The crawdads would get all postured up in defense, pincher ready for action, flair of the gills and it was gone! I came home one evening to a flooded house, chasing her prey around the tank she knocked the filter pump hose loose and out of the tank! With a 110 + gallons on the floor that covered three rooms. My wife was not happy with me to say the least.
rolfmao wife rolfmao

Bobby Barnett

Re: TIMBER OR BRUSH ???/ [Re: leanin post] #8307477 12/07/12 03:16 AM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Ive noticed another thing that happens when the crappie eats a minnow, somehow the scales get stripped off the minnow and sparkle around the tank, usually upward. Im would imagine when other crappie see the sparkly minnow scales floating around the water, they realize other fish are feeding. I will start using some of the sparkle type crappie nibbles in the silver color from now on since that should closely imitate whats going on .
Also the small piece of pecan wood that I put in the tank has some algea growing on it now and the minnows in the tank frequently hang around it to eat algea off of it. when they do the crappie is close by looking for a shot.
This might explain why old timber on lakes does not hold fish lots of times, because theres nothing left in the wood to attract the algea to grow on, like fresh wood does. No algea, no minnows,, no minnows no crappie. So why is it that you can fish 50 standing timber trees, and not catch one fish, then get to a specific tree, and its loaded, ? maybe some fresh timber is down below that got wedged in the old underbranches? most good timber is at the edge of the treeline so this theory would make sense, because thats where drifting brush or fresh fallen trees would travel along. You rarerely catch fish deep into timber lines, usually just at the ends, and larger timbers near the edge that lean over or have large under branches. Just throwing some theories out there, as to the whys of things..

Last edited by leanin post; 12/07/12 03:31 AM.

Re: TIMBER OR BRUSH ???/ [Re: leanin post] #8404122 01/02/13 07:41 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
for the most part it seems like the crappie eats around 2 to three minnows every other day, when theres lots of minnows to choose from. . I wanted to see if this held true after a bit of a dry spell. So when the last of the three dozen minnows I had put in the tank ran out, I waited 3 days, before getting more minnows,. yesterday I put 13 medium sized minnows in the tank, and this morning there are 5 left. Looking at how small a crappies stomach is, its evident that 8 medium sized minnows would not fit, so they must have a heck of a fast burning little furnace, and can process and store food quickly. this crappie is growing quickly and starting to get a thick back.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide