Forums59
Topics1,039,905
Posts13,971,968
Members144,222
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Interesting (and humorous) take on the cost of being a pro [Re: Brandon Dillard] #8012966 09/19/12 03:09 PM
Kay Dyson Offline
HOT Mess!!!
HOT Mess!!!
I love fishing... But no thanks...

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Interesting (and humorous) take on the cost of being a pro [Re: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)] #8013217 09/19/12 04:16 PM
TexasMo Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
competitive fishing is an EXPENSIVE sport/hobby. Without supplemental income.. most folks fail..

been there.. tried to live it.. but not worth losing my day job over it..
cause I suck at fishing..lol

Rip some Lips ya'll.
Re: Interesting (and humorous) take on the cost of being a pro [Re: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)] #8013373 09/19/12 05:09 PM
T
TX Basser Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
The only people making money from pro tournament fishing are BASS and FLW owners and operators.

Take a look at the payout amounts for either organization in the top tier tournaments. Both payout more than they take in from entry fees. Sponsors is where the money comes from.

There would be more money around the sport if there was a way to make it a spectator sport. As soon as they can figure that out then the participants will be able to make a living fishing only.

Triton TR-19 with Mercury 175EFI
USN Retired
Re: Interesting (and humorous) take on the cost of being a pro [Re: TX Basser] #8013396 09/19/12 05:15 PM
C
cbob Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: TX Basser
The only people making money from pro tournament fishing are BASS and FLW owners and operators.

Take a look at the payout amounts for either organization in the top tier tournaments. Both payout more than they take in from entry fees. Sponsors is where the money comes from.

There would be more money around the sport if there was a way to make it a spectator sport. As soon as they can figure that out then the participants will be able to make a living fishing only.

you're very right, but there is no way to charge people at public ramps where the events are being held. Maybe if they were held on private lakes...lol

I sure miss the stump dodging on Lake Fork...But I'm coming back soon to catchOVER the slot! 👍🏾
Re: Interesting (and humorous) take on the cost of being a pro [Re: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)] #8013454 09/19/12 05:37 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Those numbers are a little inflated

Re: Interesting (and humorous) take on the cost of being a pro [Re: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)] #8013595 09/19/12 06:09 PM
H
H.Town_paddler Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
Good read. I'll just say if you make $41k and pay 25% in taxes then you need a new accountant.

Last edited by N.Tex_paddler; 09/19/12 06:10 PM.
Re: Interesting (and humorous) take on the cost of being a pro [Re: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)] #8013604 09/19/12 06:12 PM
lamoon78 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Skeet4life
Those numbers are a little inflated
Dont think so dude I have checked into to doing some semi pro type trails and entries alone is stupid then travel,motels,practice,gas and all the others it adds up quick and I can just imagine those type tournys and what them guys pay. I would say if you aint in the top 15 in the Elites you aint makein no easy livin.

Re: Interesting (and humorous) take on the cost of being a pro [Re: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)] #8013620 09/19/12 06:16 PM
T
TX Basser Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
It really isn't a matter of charging the fans to watch. More of getting them to attend so the sponsors get more exposure. Then they would pay more to the anglers for showing their products. Every tournament should be more like the classic and Forest Wood Cup events.

Triton TR-19 with Mercury 175EFI
USN Retired
Re: Interesting (and humorous) take on the cost of being a pro [Re: TX Basser] #8013650 09/19/12 06:24 PM
H
H.Town_paddler Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: TX Basser
It really isn't a matter of charging the fans to watch. More of getting them to attend so the sponsors get more exposure. Then they would pay more to the anglers for showing their products. Every tournament should be more like the classic and Forest Wood Cup events.

Agree. I hope that with the collegiate series taking off and the start up of high school teams it will make a difference in overall participation in the sport. 10 years ago when I was in high school I would have never thought of having a school bass club. Now they seem to be popping up at a lot of high schools which is great. Get more fans and the sponsors will follow.

Re: Interesting (and humorous) take on the cost of being a pro [Re: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)] #8014027 09/19/12 07:57 PM
T
TxAdam Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Humorous for sure. A little unnerving to me, however, for several reasons.

I know a few of the Elite guys and can say, without a doubt, that the money side of things is secondary to them fulfilling a dream and doing what they love. The "big" money is welcomed, but represents itself as a measure of success more than it does a line item on a P&L.

I would also venture to guess that a good number of successful tour-level pro's also have another source of income. This is the case for all but one of the Elite angler's I know.

I don't know this Hale White guy and this is the first time I've ever seen his website. I have to wonder why he goes out of his way to single out B.A.S.S. and Jerry McKinnis, though. Does he have some sort of axe to grind? Jerry has only owned B.A.S.S. for a very short time and seems to be cleaning up a lot of internal messes (is that a word?) created by ESPN.

He really props up FLW in this blog as the overwhelmingly obvious choice for the "smart" angler wishing to be a tournament professional. At the time he penned this piece, perhaps, that may have been true.

However, read his latest entry about the recently released reductions in 2013 FLW payouts. Did he denounce their actions and demand better treatment for his fellow WalMart anglers? No, he chalked it up to necessary actions to protect their finances and ensure their survival.

Does that seem like a double standard to you?

I was also a little put off by another one of his blogs (that was referred to/linked from this one) by his negative remarks about "two-bit amateurs" and their colorful shirts "adorned with mock sponsor logos" as a slap in the face to real pros.

Doing a little research, Mr. White has fished a grand total of 15 FLW events and has $7,046 in career earnings. Hardly any sort of career to speak of. Ironically, his personal Facebook page is adorned with pictures of him wearing a sponsor laden jersey and matching stickers in the back window of his truck.

For the record, I have no problem with folks wearing jerseys, sporting stickers on their trucks and boats and generally showing their support for the brands they use and love. I have to wonder why this guy goes out of his way to bash on them, bash on the Elite Series and then post pictures of him doing the exact same thing while barely earning enough money in 15 events to cover his fuel bill.

His byline on all of his articles states that he is a "tournament angler and fitness enthusiast". Maybe I should delete this before he pounds me into submission and drowns me in that FLW weigh-in aquarium!

Last edited by TxAdam; 09/19/12 08:01 PM.
Re: Interesting (and humorous) take on the cost of being a pro [Re: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)] #8014052 09/19/12 08:03 PM
R
Rottenshot Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
Pro fishing is just like Pro Rodeo. If you want to compete at the pro level, it's going to cost you your time and money 24/7, 365 days a year. If you want to have fun and fish against the best sticks in North Texas, come to the Bridgeport Thursday Night Workingman Tournament. Entries at 5 to 6 PM, take off at 5:45 PM., weigh in at 9:15 PM. $25.00 per team or individual, includes BB. State regulations for Bridgeport. Winner runs the scales for the next week. Pays 1:9. BB is winner take all.

Re: Interesting (and humorous) take on the cost of being a pro [Re: Rottenshot] #8014107 09/19/12 08:16 PM
H
HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein) Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
H
Originally Posted By: Rottenshot
....and fish against the best sticks in North Texas, come to the Bridgeport .....

Tim Cline fishes that tourney??

โ€œWhatโ€™s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.โ€
Re: Interesting (and humorous) take on the cost of being a pro [Re: TxAdam] #8014289 09/19/12 08:57 PM
C
CoastalBent Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: TxAdam
Humorous for sure. A little unnerving to me, however, for several reasons.

I know a few of the Elite guys and can say, without a doubt, that the money side of things is secondary to them fulfilling a dream and doing what they love. The "big" money is welcomed, but represents itself as a measure of success more than it does a line item on a P&L.

I would also venture to guess that a good number of successful tour-level pro's also have another source of income. This is the case for all but one of the Elite angler's I know.

I don't know this Hale White guy and this is the first time I've ever seen his website. I have to wonder why he goes out of his way to single out B.A.S.S. and Jerry McKinnis, though. Does he have some sort of axe to grind? Jerry has only owned B.A.S.S. for a very short time and seems to be cleaning up a lot of internal messes (is that a word?) created by ESPN.

He really props up FLW in this blog as the overwhelmingly obvious choice for the "smart" angler wishing to be a tournament professional. At the time he penned this piece, perhaps, that may have been true.

However, read his latest entry about the recently released reductions in 2013 FLW payouts. Did he denounce their actions and demand better treatment for his fellow WalMart anglers? No, he chalked it up to necessary actions to protect their finances and ensure their survival.

Does that seem like a double standard to you?

I was also a little put off by another one of his blogs (that was referred to/linked from this one) by his negative remarks about "two-bit amateurs" and their colorful shirts "adorned with mock sponsor logos" as a slap in the face to real pros.

Doing a little research, Mr. White has fished a grand total of 15 FLW events and has $7,046 in career earnings. Hardly any sort of career to speak of. Ironically, his personal Facebook page is adorned with pictures of him wearing a sponsor laden jersey and matching stickers in the back window of his truck.

For the record, I have no problem with folks wearing jerseys, sporting stickers on their trucks and boats and generally showing their support for the brands they use and love. I have to wonder why this guy goes out of his way to bash on them, bash on the Elite Series and then post pictures of him doing the exact same thing while barely earning enough money in 15 events to cover his fuel bill.

His byline on all of his articles states that he is a "tournament angler and fitness enthusiast". Maybe I should delete this before he pounds me into submission and drowns me in that FLW weigh-in aquarium!

Re: Interesting (and humorous) take on the cost of being a pro [Re: Rottenshot] #8014307 09/19/12 09:01 PM
horton5303 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Rottenshot
Pro fishing is just like Pro Rodeo. If you want to compete at the pro level, it's going to cost you your time and money 24/7, 365 days a year. If you want to have fun and fish against the best sticks in North Texas, come to the Bridgeport Thursday Night Workingman Tournament. Entries at 5 to 6 PM, take off at 5:45 PM., weigh in at 9:15 PM. $25.00 per team or individual, includes BB. State regulations for Bridgeport. Winner runs the scales for the next week. Pays 1:9. BB is winner take all.

Hey now. I don't fish that...But i am the best!

NOT!

DriftAway Charters Fishing Trips. South Padre Island, Texas. Bay fishing at it's finest! Call 956-505-9500 to book your trip. https://southpadrefishingtrips.com/
Re: Interesting (and humorous) take on the cost of being a pro [Re: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)] #8014311 09/19/12 09:02 PM
horton5303 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
But with the help of these forums.. Ya never know!

DriftAway Charters Fishing Trips. South Padre Island, Texas. Bay fishing at it's finest! Call 956-505-9500 to book your trip. https://southpadrefishingtrips.com/
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide