Print Thread
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Re: Noodling Q&A [Re: Hands Only!] #7649370 06/15/12 02:23 PM
B
Bullet20XrD Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Went solo last night and ended up with one channel cat. Had a few chances at some more, but noodling by yourself can be a challenge. It was fun though, got me out of the house for a few hours.

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Noodling Q&A [Re: Hands Only!] #7649591 06/15/12 03:11 PM
S
Str8 Fishin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
HandsOnly; Have you noodled in Benbrook Lake?

Re: Noodling Q&A [Re: Hands Only!] #7649802 06/15/12 04:02 PM
B
Bfrenzy Offline
Angler
Angler
B
We went for a few hours yesterday and found several holes but they seem to go way back....how do you catch those fish with your hands? I also noticed that I can only stick my arm in a few feet...do you leave those holes alone and find a more shallower hole? None of the holes are big enough to swim in so Im just curious how yall catch those fish....We also found holes small enough for 10 and 20lbers but even those holes seem to go way back...you can feel the nest with your hands but seems the fish are hiding further back....Another question is when you do get bit whats the most common reaction from the fish? Do they twist on you and go crazy or are they calm....I know they all have different personalities but Im sure theres gotta be a most common reaction....I've handled big cats before and it seems they could twist and snap your arm easily....thanks again for all the info....you are very helpful....Im just ready to get the first bite over with so I can grow a pair lol

Re: Noodling Q&A [Re: Hands Only!] #7650309 06/15/12 05:57 PM
B
Bullet20XrD Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Holes that go far up into the bank are difficult. Most of the time, the male will set up and guard the front entrance of the hole. Many times, on shallow holes, you can acutally see the fish's head at the mouth of the hole if you approach quietly. The trick is to stick your hand in first, not a stick because most of the time a flattie will only give you one shot at biting something and then run to the back of a hole once he figures out what's going on. If there is an entrance and an exit, you can get your partner to stick his hand in the other hole and eventually the fish is going to try and escape out of one of the openings, at which point, either you or your buddy is going to get him. We've worked on fish for 30 minutes before we've gotten them into a good position. Some holes are just too far back and you're not going to get a fish out of there and you just have to move on. I try to look for holes that aren't as open and have an entrance or just an entrance and an exit. You can also dig the hole out wider and deeper to where you can fit in. I'm sure Jason has some tricks I haven't figured out yet and he'll post some of those up.

They're going to twist when you get your hand in their mouth, so be ready. If you can get your hand through their mouth and through their gillplate they can't twist much. Once you get them out of the hole, secure the rest of fish with your legs.

Hope that answers your questions. It's harder than they make it look on TV :-)

Re: Noodling Q&A [Re: Hands Only!] #7650766 06/15/12 07:39 PM
S
Sandbasstard Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Noodled for the first time today...didn't stay too long. Had a fish in a hole under an old boat ramp but never got him out. He was mad, every time my hand went in I got bit, but all I could get was my whole arm in there. Every time I got bit he would grab my fingers to about the first knuckle or a smidge past, real fast. Finaly tried to get the stick in there to maybe reposition him and I didn't have my side of the hole covered well enough and he escaped out between my legs. I guess thats where I went wrong. Also might have made a mistake by puting the stick in there first... If you leave em alone after you've messed with em a bunch, will they repostition themselves closer to the entrance? Oh well, next time we'll get him... I had a blast though!!

Re: Noodling Q&A [Re: Hands Only!] #7650788 06/15/12 07:47 PM
B
Bfrenzy Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Thanks Bullet!!

Re: Noodling Q&A [Re: Sandbasstard] #7650820 06/15/12 07:53 PM
B
Bullet20XrD Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Sandbasstard
Noodled for the first time today...didn't stay too long. Had a fish in a hole under an old boat ramp but never got him out. He was mad, every time my hand went in I got bit, but all I could get was my whole arm in there. Every time I got bit he would grab my fingers to about the first knuckle or a smidge past, real fast. Finaly tried to get the stick in there to maybe reposition him and I didn't have my side of the hole covered well enough and he escaped out between my legs. I guess thats where I went wrong. Also might have made a mistake by puting the stick in there first... If you leave em alone after you've messed with em a bunch, will they repostition themselves closer to the entrance? Oh well, next time we'll get him... I had a blast though!!

Sounds like you had a small channel cat or blue, those will keep biting at you real quick like that. Flatheads or larger blues will give you a little more time to get ahold of them. Any fish you find is fun though. I went by myself last night and had quite a battle with a channel cat in a hole. It was alot of fun and you learn something from every fish. The small ones are hard to keep in the holes if you're a skinny guy like me. It is fun though!

Re: Noodling Q&A [Re: Str8 Fishin] #7651390 06/15/12 09:51 PM
H
Hands Only! Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
H
No sir.

When and if they do get my guns...they will most definitely be hot and empty.

Vera's PB=45.17
Jasons PB=76.94
Re: Noodling Q&A [Re: Sandbasstard] #7651427 06/15/12 09:58 PM
H
Hands Only! Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
H
Sounds to me like you had a small blue or channel. When they swallow to the elbow, your on to something. The main reason for the stick is to make sure that fish are using the hole. Once you find that fish are using it, don't go back in with it. Fish that can't bite me on the whole hand I wont waste time on. Yes they will reposition, but you may have to leave and come back later. After the gig is up though, its best to move on to the next fish.
Originally Posted By: Sandbasstard

Vera's PB=45.17
Jasons PB=76.94
Re: Noodling Q&A [Re: Bullet20XrD] #7651444 06/15/12 10:03 PM
H
Hands Only! Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
H
Bullet, you pretty much covered it. The only thing I would add is to go in fast. Seems that I get more reaction strikes this way. The other would be to wear wacky colored gloves. I wear red or chartreuse batting gloves. Ive went as far as dying them colors at times to see what works the best. Believe it or not, and no I'm not gay, pink is the go to color when I really need to get a stubborn one to bite.
Originally Posted By: Bullet20XrD
Holes that go far up into the bank are difficult. Most of the time, the male will set up and guard the front entrance of the hole. Many times, on shallow holes, you can acutally see the fish's head at the mouth of the hole if you approach quietly. The trick is to stick your hand in first, not a stick because most of the time a flattie will only give you one shot at biting something and then run to the back of a hole once he figures out what's going on. If there is an entrance and an exit, you can get your partner to stick his hand in the other hole and eventually the fish is going to try and escape out of one of the openings, at which point, either you or your buddy is going to get him. We've worked on fish for 30 minutes before we've gotten them into a good position. Some holes are just too far back and you're not going to get a fish out of there and you just have to move on. I try to look for holes that aren't as open and have an entrance or just an entrance and an exit. You can also dig the hole out wider and deeper to where you can fit in. I'm sure Jason has some tricks I haven't figured out yet and he'll post some of those up.

They're going to twist when you get your hand in their mouth, so be ready. If you can get your hand through their mouth and through their gillplate they can't twist much. Once you get them out of the hole, secure the rest of fish with your legs.

Hope that answers your questions. It's harder than they make it look on TV :-)

Vera's PB=45.17
Jasons PB=76.94
Re: Noodling Q&A [Re: Hands Only!] #7651907 06/15/12 11:38 PM
S
Sandbasstard Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Thank you Hands Only and Bullet...it looks like I'll be in the market for some pink gloves banana

Re: Noodling Q&A [Re: Hands Only!] #7652751 06/16/12 03:08 AM
B
Bullet20XrD Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Im not going that far just yet lol. I'm going to have to see jason prove the pink glove thing first hand!

Re: Noodling Q&A [Re: Bullet20XrD] #7652843 06/16/12 03:33 AM
H
Hands Only! Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
H
It's no bull bullet! I have 2 pair of hot pink right hand gloves in my boat right now. I know it sound wild, but neon green and yellow work well too.
Im not going that far just yet lol. I'm going to have to see jason prove the pink glove thing first hand!

Vera's PB=45.17
Jasons PB=76.94
Re: Noodling Q&A [Re: Hands Only!] #7653705 06/16/12 02:08 PM
B
Bullet20XrD Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Making sure that wasnt some noodler's newb joke so yoi could spot all the new guys LMAO!!!

Re: Noodling Q&A [Re: Bullet20XrD] #7653789 06/16/12 02:48 PM
B
BankAFish Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Went solo last night and ended up with one channel cat.

Recipe for disaster. For soooo many reasons. Glad you're ok.

Recent Notables: 40lb Flathead, 30lb Carp, 25lb Buffalo.
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide