Forums59
Topics1,039,905
Posts13,971,968
Members144,222
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Assuming O.H Ivie dries up in the next year or two. [Re: Jersey Dan] #7643230 06/14/12 02:16 AM
P
psylow Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
It will rain again. Rain in west Texas is feast or famine. The trick is to catch as much water as you can during the flash floods and try to make it last during the dry times. Does any one know how long it actually took Ivie to fill up when the dam was first constructed?

I agree that water infrastructure projects will be a hot topic in west Texas as well in many other parts of the country in the near future. As the population increases many natural resources will continue to be stretched and I have no doubt there will be many new innovative measures to combat these issues.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Assuming O.H Ivie dries up in the next year or two. [Re: Jersey Dan] #7643282 06/14/12 02:27 AM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I think Ivie filled up in about a week. I know Hubbard Creek filled up in a few days. They still had some equipment in it when it filled up. They later got it out.
It will rain again and fill most of the lakes up. I just wish it would hurry up and do it!

Re: Assuming O.H Ivie dries up in the next year or two. [Re: TTU_fisherman] #7643337 06/14/12 02:35 AM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: TTU_fisherman
Originally Posted By: JDamage
The City of Odessa approved buying Frack water yesterday. That is salt water that is extremely abundant in the Permian Basin. Once, a long long time ago, there was a sea that was in the permian basin called the Permian Sea. That is the reason there is so much oil out in West Texas.

Odessa is going to build a de-salination plant in Monahans and pipe the potable water to Odessa. I believe I read that there is 170 year water supply using the salt water.

When other cities do what Odessa is doing in West Texas, it will take some strain off of the lakes, but from what I understand, most lakes lose more water to wind and evaporation than they do from cities pulling off of them.

Also keep in mind the eath goes in cycles and the drought won't last forever. It will rain again.

Things like this are kind of funny because while they buy water, the oil companies around them are pumping it straight back into the ground at a million gallons a well to squeeze oil out of the rocks. Unreal. Not to mention the farmers that are starting to grow corn in areas that are way to dry for it because thats right... big gov will pay them to grow corn.

Who had to bring this up and ruin my day... lol.

Curtis, are you aware of the cali deal? just curious.

Re: Assuming O.H Ivie dries up in the next year or two. [Re: Jersey Dan] #7643344 06/14/12 02:37 AM
C
Cheesehead Wes Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
I understand that a pipeline will be expensive....but.....How much money does the governent pay every year when the Mississippi floods. What is a better use of our money? Fence along the border......or a secure water supply....Either way it is gunna get ugly!!! We need a hurricane....or 5

Re: Assuming O.H Ivie dries up in the next year or two. [Re: Jersey Dan] #7643359 06/14/12 02:42 AM
S
STEVE B Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
lets not assume that it will go dry.. i dont like seeing it less than 15% but i like to think we wont lose it alltogether.. a few tropical storms and maybe she will survive.. got a good rain here in odessa here last night and last year we went months and i wondered if it would ever rain again.. getting better here but need more and need it in the right place for runoff..

team BY -GOD. [Linked Image]
Re: Assuming O.H Ivie dries up in the next year or two. [Re: Jersey Dan] #7644285 06/14/12 01:15 PM
-
-Shawn- Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
-
Ok, what is really going on is a 10 year Droght. outside of 2007 everything west of I35 has been in a Drought since 1998.

Look at Hubbard Creek, Pre 2007 it was 3 foot lower than it is now and filed up in ONE month. since then it has slowly dropped with only minor shortlived raises in water storage.

If Ivie Cut Downstream releases to Buchanan four years ago it would be sitting in fairly good shape.

Re: Assuming O.H Ivie dries up in the next year or two. [Re: Tyler] #7644481 06/14/12 02:03 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
T
Originally Posted By: Tyler
...Texas needs a comprehensive water plan asap.
We've had one since 1997. How quickly it is being implemented and how well its working may be debatable.

In June 1997, Governor George W. Bush signed into law Senate Bill 1 (SB 1), comprehensive water legislation enacted by the 75th Texas Legislature. This comprehensive water legislation was an outgrowth of increased awareness of the vulnerability of Texas to drought and to the limits of existing water supplies to meet increasing demands as population grows. The state's population is expected to increase from its current level of about 24 million people to slightly more than 46 million people by the year 2060.

With passage of SB 1, the Legislature put in place a "bottom up" water planning process designed to ensure that the water needs of all Texans are met as Texas enters the 21st century. SB 1 allows individuals representing 11 interest groups to serve as members of Regional Water Planning Groups (RWPG) to prepare regional water plans for their respective areas. These plans will map out how to conserve water supplies, meet future water supply needs and respond to future droughts in the planning areas.

"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Re: Assuming O.H Ivie dries up in the next year or two. [Re: -Shawn-] #7644561 06/14/12 02:23 PM
T
T54 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Originally Posted By: -Shawn-

If Ivie Cut Downstream releases to Buchanan four years ago it would be sitting in fairly good shape.

And then we would be having this same conversation about Buch and Travis

Re: Assuming O.H Ivie dries up in the next year or two. [Re: Douglas J] #7734810 07/07/12 05:23 PM
09Skeeter21i Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Ben_Dover
Possible Win/Win situation. Since unemployment and governmental waste are already at a staggering rate in our country , why not combine the two??

Create a modern day program like the CCC that was created in 1933 to build pipelines and waterways for drought relief. There are people who want to work and will work. I am sure those running our government can find a few billion that we already waste at home and abroad to fund the projects.

Just take roughly 2-8% a year of what we send to the rest of the world to help our owwn citizens with jobs and water issues here on our own soil..

I am for this but we know it will never happen. The government makes it too easy for people to live for free without having to work.

Re: Assuming O.H Ivie dries up in the next year or two. [Re: JDamage] #7734821 07/07/12 05:27 PM
09Skeeter21i Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: JDamage
The City of Odessa approved buying Frack water yesterday. That is salt water that is extremely abundant in the Permian Basin. Once, a long long time ago, there was a sea that was in the permian basin called the Permian Sea. That is the reason there is so much oil out in West Texas.

Odessa is going to build a de-salination plant in Monahans and pipe the potable water to Odessa. I believe I read that there is 170 year water supply using the salt water.

When other cities do what Odessa is doing in West Texas, it will take some strain off of the lakes, but from what I understand, most lakes lose more water to wind and evaporation than they do from cities pulling off of them.

Also keep in mind the eath goes in cycles and the drought won't last forever. It will rain again.

This can be done but it costs big money. Turning salt water into fresh water is something that I have been a part of for a while, cost is killing the project.

Re: Assuming O.H Ivie dries up in the next year or two. [Re: Chad Miller] #7734940 07/07/12 06:09 PM
O
Outdoor Therapy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted By: Chad Miller
If T. Boone Pickens sank a ton of money into water rights, I think we can see the writing on the wall. He didnt get rich by being stupid.

Correct. I've been to his ranch in Pampa, Texas and I think it is up to 40,000 acres. He drilled into large aquifers and has several very large lakes of fresh water, Mesa Vista water. Pickens told me that his plan was to pipeline water to San Antonio, but I've since heard that he sold the water rights and is no longer involved.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.- Thomas A Edison

Re: Assuming O.H Ivie dries up in the next year or two. [Re: Jersey Dan] #7734966 07/07/12 06:18 PM
C
cantcatch5 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
A population cap isn't needed at this time... We aren't drinking all is our water we are wasting a LOT of it.

Jason

Re: Assuming O.H Ivie dries up in the next year or two. [Re: 9094] #7735279 07/07/12 08:17 PM
C
catslayer Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: 9094
I think Ivie filled up in about a week. I know Hubbard Creek filled up in a few days. They still had some equipment in it when it filled up. They later got it out.
It will rain again and fill most of the lakes up. I just wish it would hurry up and do it!

Yeah hurricane water plays a big role in pushn water to west Texas.

Somebody asked what lifespan of Texas lake, we were taught in our range classes the "average" lake lifespan is exspected to be 100 years but I think that was state wide.

Guys don't forget that inches wise last year was one of the worst years on record. Worse than the dust bowl, we talked about it a lot in agg classes at a&m this last year. We are as bad as its been... There are a lot of reasons to do with management that we lose a lot of water that hits our land, the loss of native grasslands because of mesquite and cedar incroachment makes a huge difference

"I'll never mess with bee's or wasp anymore, and I'll never gig another beaver..." Words from a man who learned things the hard way
Re: Assuming O.H Ivie dries up in the next year or two. [Re: Jersey Dan] #7735287 07/07/12 08:22 PM
E
elm creek Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Originally Posted By: Jersey Dan

Assuming O.H Ivie dries up in the next year or two

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH cry

Re: Assuming O.H Ivie dries up in the next year or two. [Re: Jersey Dan] #7735311 07/07/12 08:32 PM
C
catslayer Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Lol i know the ivieites are keeping close watch

"I'll never mess with bee's or wasp anymore, and I'll never gig another beaver..." Words from a man who learned things the hard way
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide