Print Thread
H-Bird or Lowrance? #7596603 06/01/12 06:15 PM
C
Chuck Sheridan Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Alright guys I am prepared to buy me a new unit. I am totally confused on which brand I want to drop the money on. I am really leaning to the HDS 8 but not convinced yet. I would like any and all opinions due to experience and ease of use... Thanks guys I cant wait to order one and get it set up on the boat.. Please keep in mind install restrictions with the transducers etc cause I do not have a jack plate etc... Aluminum boat with pods on the back. im thinking I could mount the xducer to the bottom of one of the pods....

Chuck Sheridan
Re: H-Bird or Lowrance? [Re: Chuck Sheridan] #7596773 06/01/12 06:57 PM
K
Ken Gaby Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
K
My 2cents: Lowrance has a better SI pic but HB is very good, DI on both is about equal, HB easier to use, HB one transducer, Lowrance has two and one is a big one.
As far as mounting the transducer: if your pod is several inches above the boat bottom, that might be a good place. However, I wouldn't put it there. I don't want any transducer mounted even with the bottom or below it. It will get broken off eventually. I have a Bass Cat and mounted the transducer on the step above the boat bottom. I'm not interested in reading the depth while I'm on plane or anything else for that matter. By the time you see it on the screen, you've already run over it or way past it. And you need to be looking ahead where you're going and not at the screen.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: H-Bird or Lowrance? [Re: Chuck Sheridan] #7597413 06/01/12 09:58 PM
F
fishing_ken Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Ford vs Chevy. I use a hb and have read plenty on both. Hb seems easier to use and install. 1 transducer does the trick. I've been on a boat with a lowrance and it looked and performed great.. the choice is yours. What seems to be most important is screen size. Do yourself a favor and buy the biggest you can afford! Last but not least, transducer placement is very important.

Re: H-Bird or Lowrance? [Re: Chuck Sheridan] #7598168 06/02/12 02:32 AM
SLABXPRESS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I agree with fishing_ken. Get the BIGGEST screen possible!
I just bought a new Lowrance HDS-8 Gen-2 w/ LSS-2. I absolutely LOVE it!
I hear people say the Lowrance are complicated, but I've had no trouble and learn something new every time out.
I know people with both brands and they like both.
apples / oranges
If you're on a budget, I'd say HB. If not, I'd go Lowrance.
My 2 cents...

Re: H-Bird or Lowrance? [Re: Chuck Sheridan] #7598518 06/02/12 04:41 AM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
havent had a high end lowrance, so I cant say anything abt them, but I have 2 898s humminbirds a nd am very happy with them, and I know customer service is excellent, also, the 798 s on up have 2 yrs warranties. with humminbird select.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: H-Bird or Lowrance? [Re: leanin post] #7598784 06/02/12 11:17 AM
C
Creamlevel Creek Kennels Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I've owned both. HB 1198 & HB-898. HB are easier to operate and understand. And do a good job at what they do. Great GPS, and quicker aquiring than Lowrance. Sonars are equal with Lowrance.

But the difference for me was with the images that you saw on the Side Scan & Down Scan. Lowrance requires 2 transducer to create the SI/DI, but the real difference to me was that Lowrance has 4 crystals creating the SI/DI, where HB has 3 crystals. The SI/DI images are noticeably better on the Lowrance.

It is all according to what you are buying the unit for. If it is about SI/DI, then Lowrance gives you a better view of what you are looking at in the SI/DI mode. Customer Service means something, but I was not willing to consider that over the viewing of my units. I wanted the best possible images I could get, and thats what I ended up with. Both are quality Units, but it is all a matter of what you are wanting and looking for to which unit to buy. I SOLD my HB-1198 & HB-898, and bought the HDS-10 & HDS-7, and have been happen ever since.

keith

Re: H-Bird or Lowrance? [Re: Chuck Sheridan] #7598798 06/02/12 11:29 AM
OkieBob Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Keith is right. I have an HDS8 on my console and a HB798 on the bow. If DI or SI is what you spend a lot of money on then Lowrance is the way to go. I can compare them basically side by side and the image is remarkedly better on the Lowrance.
I'm not pro anything, just telling it like I see it. Not that HB is bad, just that Lowrance is better at that one thing.
I do hate the slow update rate on the Lowrance GPS and HB is much better. Plus, as stated by others, HB is easier to use.
I suspect HB sacrifices image resolution for update speed, both units could use higher end, faster processors and I'd guess that is something that will happen in future generations for both companies.

I'M SOONER BORN, SOONER BRED AND WHEN I DIE I'LL BE SOONER DEAD!
Chickasaw proud.
[Linked Image]CallMatthew@972-754-1698 http://jigumjigs.com

MEMBER WALLY MARSHALL'S MR CRAPPIE PROSTAFF
MEMBER JIGUM JIGS PROSTAFF
Re: H-Bird or Lowrance? [Re: Chuck Sheridan] #7598931 06/02/12 01:13 PM
SLABXPRESS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
An additional consideration...
The new Lowrance Gen-2 is WAY faster than the original HDS units. GPS acquisition is exceptionally fast. The updating is almost constant. No pauses between updates, just steady change on the screen.

Re: H-Bird or Lowrance? [Re: Chuck Sheridan] #7598982 06/02/12 01:56 PM
D
Dutch1947 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
What Slabxpress said is a biggie when your trying to go back to a way point. No more driving in circles trying to find that tree.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide