Print Thread
Performance Question #754642 03/05/05 09:48 PM
S
Suddzies Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Just got my new boat and I love it. I got the Kingfisher by Mainstream from Acadamy. I added a Hummingbird Fishfinder 535 which works great. Been out in the boat twice and really like the stability and size. I only wish the boat was faster. My question is, has anyone tried adding something to the hull to reduce the drag through the water. I was thinking of either car wax or RainX. These things are supposed to help water sheet of your car or windshield so would'nt they help with the drag of a boat also. I also thought it odd that my kayaks hull is not smooth like the sides. It has small bumps on the botton that I thought about sanding down smooth, but then I also think the manufacturer put them there for a reason. Anyone know why? My problem with adding a chemical to the hull is that it may contaminate my fishing area. I need something that wont wear off or is naturally biodegradealbe. Any thought?

Re: Performance Question #754643 03/08/05 12:09 AM
T
TEXASFISHON Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
my unpro. $0.02 is that most rub on or paint on products will not make enough of a difference to notice. waterski manufactures found that roughing up the bottom of their ski's gave them better performance than making them smooth, but the skiis being pulled behind a skiboat not paddled by hand. that said silicon wax works well on power boats but i don't know if it is safe on pvc.

SHUT-UP AND FISH
Re: Performance Question #754644 03/09/05 02:41 AM
F
fishr3 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Welcome to the world of kayaking. No two kayaks are alike. They are fast & slow, wide & narrow, light & heavy, gliders & gurgglers, sit-on-top & sit-inside. When you fish a little and paddle a lot you'll tend to notice speed and efficiency or lack there of. If you paddle a little and fish a lot you'll notice the stability and comfort. I've been researching info on refurbishing a very worn and scratched kayak hull, and most of the advice I read said don't attempt any type of hull modification unless it has a hole worn thru, and then have an experienced professional do the repair.
From what I can see about the Kingfisher, it is designed to be a stable fishing platform, and has sacrificed speed to achieve good stability. I doubt that you will be able to achieve a noticeable improvement in speed by making the hull more slick. You might try scupper plugs.

Re: Performance Question #754645 03/12/05 05:23 AM
P
Prowler 13 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
If you want more speed, add a trolling motor. I saw one on the net that weighed 4 lbs and was ideal for a canoe or kayak.
I personally am in the process of mounting a Minnkota 35 I have had in my attic for over a decade to my kayak. I am going to cut the height down by about have and mount it right behind me on a brace I will be putting outriggers on. (my kayak is less stable than the Kingfisher)
A small sealed battery like the ones used for mobility scooters and power wheelchairs is small and will run it a long time when using it on a kayak.

Jerry Pritchett
Re: Performance Question #754646 03/12/05 09:46 PM
B
Barnacle Bill Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Fish is right. You can't get more speed out of the yak by putting wax on it, or if you do, it won't be a noticeable amount. There are several rigging pictures at www.texaskayakfisherman.com and other tips and also at www.costalkayakangler.com. Phil, the webmaster of CKA also has a radio show on 610 am from 5:30 - 6:00 am on Fridays.
If you add a trolling motor, don't forget that you have to register your boat with TPWD.
The Kingfisher is a very stable yak and can't be beat for the price.
Academy bought several different makes and models of yaks, Mainstream, Heritage, Ocean Kayak, etc to see which ones sell the best and then they are going to make a larger order of only one or two makes and models.

Re: Performance Question #754647 03/13/05 06:09 AM
S
striker Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
I have a Kingfish myself. The stability is awesome however with stability (in width) you will sacrifice speed. You won't, in my opinion, find any ways to make it faster...well, I guess you could paddle harder. laugh laugh Good luck!

www.shadyoaks.org
*Find the Lord before you need Him...*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide