Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: Jordan Massey] #7544386 05/18/12 03:03 PM
Der Vorsteher Online Shocked
TFF Guru
Online Shocked
TFF Guru
I may be going through that this weekend. I am fishing a tournament and taking a guy i work with. he fishes but mostly for catfish and stuff. he was in amarillo at academy and calls me and sayd i just bought this thing called an alabama rig. i am going to fish it all weekend.

it may be a long tournament.

Team Wolfs
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: Jordan Massey] #7544450 05/18/12 03:18 PM
96speed Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
That's hilarious.

Most people who exclaim, "Oh I love to fish!" really mean that they like to pond fish with a bobber or fish at a catfish farm. However, I've had other funny experiences with fishing partners...

One said he really wanted to chip in for gas for a 200mile roundtrip to the lake and handed me a $5 bill.

This happened to a friend of mine: He was partnered up with another buddy and swiped his credit card at the pump for him to put some gas in the boat. He went in to go to the bathroom/water/etc and came back out to find the guy completely filled up his boat (about 35-40gallons of gas). Ouch. It should be noted that this particular guy (boat owner) is not a run'n'gun kinda of guy. He likes to pitch at stumps all day long.

Last edited by 96speed; 05/18/12 03:20 PM.

Female drivers = No survivors
Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: Jordan Massey] #7544455 05/18/12 03:19 PM
T
texasbass1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
These stories are why I have the partner I have, she may not be the most experienced angler but she is ready to go rain or shine and she is getting better with the net.

I do take some guys out for the day because they want to go fishing but I usually don't have to high of expectation. Just out for fun and when they are done we leave.

Pat Leach
USAF MSgt Retired
92 Procraft 180 Pro
24 Mercury 150 Pro XS 4 Stroke
Minn Kota Ulterra 80
Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: Jordan Massey] #7544584 05/18/12 03:42 PM
BMCD Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Dang these are nothing. Mine starts with a 3 day trip, and a statement 20 minutes into driving. "I forgot my anti depressants, but I probably don't need them". Why i did not turn around... haunts me to this day. I invited him to stay with us at our room, only 2 beds. Without even asking he takes the bed, I have to sleep on the floor for 3 days.... and i paid for the room. Its cold, I need heat, he wants AC. The battle over the Window unit goes on all 3 days. Non stop talking about how good he is. Questioning my choices on the lake, I choose to not initiate a conversation with him 1 day into it. I learn about things I did not need to know about him.

He constantly fell down on the back deck, I offered to try and help. he did not need my help, and let me know it in a demeaning tone. Literally he fell down 20 times. One time i got my line wrapped on some brush, i swing the boat to get mine line unwrapped he comes up front and tried to pull the bait off the branch before we get close enough. I told him not to do it. I got the "Son, I have been fishing a lot longer then you... I know what I am doing."

Tournament day I decide to fish a creek, we have nothing until 12:00, he caught the first fish. And I heard "that's how you catch them". I preceded to catch 4 fish, he boats another.

Tells others that he had to show me how to fish. after a 180 gas bill and motel fees... He offers me $25. Told me I did not need to run that much to catch fish. I told him that was not enough, 5 weeks later i get a check in the mail for $40.

It was a quiet ride home, and a lesson learned.... also one of the last times I have invited a person I did not know into the boat.

I have been stiffed, had the guy that slept on the boat. Had the guy that wanted to go home early after a 180 mile trip. I have been handed $10 after a 2 day trip. Had a guy tell me I did not know how to fish, and he would have done better if he had a boat. But the story above was my worst experience.

Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: Jordan Massey] #7544641 05/18/12 03:52 PM
karaider00 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O the stories we could all tell. My worst was driving half way across the state to a lake and took a friend and his dad wanted to come. I was 16 at the time and obviously poor. So we took my boat and truck and i paid for gas figuring we would split it. I get there and he hands me a $10 like that would cover it. IT makes me laugh now but we have all been through it. It is good to get new guys into the sport but it can be hell dealing with them but somebody had to take us for the first time too.

Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: Jordan Massey] #7544658 05/18/12 03:55 PM
R
redskeet100 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I took a buddy out once, all he could say all day is "we must not be in the right spot, there are no other boats around." Of course he eventually had one on about 6 lb, it gets off and that was all I heard about the rest of the day. Needless to say he has not been invited back!!

Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: Jordan Massey] #7544672 05/18/12 03:57 PM
R
Razorback Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
I took an employee/friend on a three day fishing and camping trip to Arkansas almost 20 years ago. He was hung over from partying the night before we left so he slept all the way up there. Once we got there he never set foot in the boat. He stayed up drinking almost all night and slept during the day. I basically spent three days fishing by myself.

He kept complaining about how tired he was because he couldn't sleep. It was too hot. I told him most people who go camping/fishing sleep at night and fish during the day.

I would come in after the morning bite and cook breakfast for myself. He had just crawled in the tent so he missed it. When he would finally get up at about 1 p.m. he would ask, "You got any of that bacon left?"

One night a severe thunderstorm moved into the area. I woke up to the crash of thunder to see him sitting at the campfire hammered drunk. He said, "Dude, we're under a severe thunderstorm warning. There have been tornadoes in the area." I asked him if it ever occurred to him to wake me up since my boat was tied to the bank, with boulders all around it, right beside our camp. I got in the boat in 30-40 mph wind gusts and drove it around a point into a cove...with no help from him.

Did I mention he also slept all the way home?

That was our last fishing trip together.

Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: Jordan Massey] #7544922 05/18/12 04:42 PM
P
pinesaddict Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
My partner is late, spills worm dye on my carpet, gets sleepy, hits the cowling with worm weights and the list goes on. But I wouldn't trade him. LOL

Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: TheCraftsman] #7544954 05/18/12 04:52 PM
S
ssj3goten Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: TheCraftsman
Originally Posted By: tamale
Sure am glad that when I went bass fishing with my friend the first time, years and years ago, that he didnt think like some of you when I showed up with my 1 rod and tackle box.

Now, I've got more rods than I have a place for, won tourney's with fields over 100+ teams, and on my 4th bass boat.

Awesome. I am always glad to hear the stories of "new" anglers coming into the sport.

I know it is anoying to head out on the water with someone who has now clue. But sometimes you need to take that day to teach rather than trying to catch fish yourself. I often find more pleasure in putting someone who doesn't know how to fish, whether they think they do or not, on the fish than catching fish myself. Use it as an opportunity, don't let it drag your day down!

The key is the person stating they are new to fishing and wanting to learn vs a person who says they know how to fish and can't. I would go into each with a different midset on where to fish, what to bring, how to to fish.

Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: Jordan Massey] #7544955 05/18/12 04:52 PM
J
jwatts77 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
My favorites are the people who you invite and at the pick-up location, meeting place, or time for them to show, their NO WHERE to be found!!! Call them and they answer the phone obviously just woke up from a dead sleep!! Then they say I don't think I'm going!! Had this happen more times then I care to say!

Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: BMCD] #7544996 05/18/12 05:01 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted By: BMCD
Dang these are nothing. Mine starts with a 3 day trip, and a statement 20 minutes into driving. "I forgot my anti depressants, but I probably don't need them". Why i did not turn around... haunts me to this day. I invited him to stay with us at our room, only 2 beds. Without even asking he takes the bed, I have to sleep on the floor for 3 days.... and i paid for the room. Its cold, I need heat, he wants AC. The battle over the Window unit goes on all 3 days. Non stop talking about how good he is. Questioning my choices on the lake, I choose to not initiate a conversation with him 1 day into it. I learn about things I did not need to know about him.

He constantly fell down on the back deck, I offered to try and help. he did not need my help, and let me know it in a demeaning tone. Literally he fell down 20 times. One time i got my line wrapped on some brush, i swing the boat to get mine line unwrapped he comes up front and tried to pull the bait off the branch before we get close enough. I told him not to do it. I got the "Son, I have been fishing a lot longer then you... I know what I am doing."

Tournament day I decide to fish a creek, we have nothing until 12:00, he caught the first fish. And I heard "that's how you catch them". I preceded to catch 4 fish, he boats another.

Tells others that he had to show me how to fish. after a 180 gas bill and motel fees... He offers me $25. Told me I did not need to run that much to catch fish. I told him that was not enough, 5 weeks later i get a check in the mail for $40.

It was a quiet ride home, and a lesson learned.... also one of the last times I have invited a person I did not know into the boat.

I have been stiffed, had the guy that slept on the boat. Had the guy that wanted to go home early after a 180 mile trip. I have been handed $10 after a 2 day trip. Had a guy tell me I did not know how to fish, and he would have done better if he had a boat. But the story above was my worst experience.
eeks Wow...

No complaints about my 2 fishing partners. One is my dad, who taught me everything I know. Other is a guy I work with. He's a better fisherman than me but teaches me a lot and we usually fish out of his boat (because he lives on the lake and my boat is an hour away) and I'll try to help with gas and/or food for the day.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: Jordan Massey] #7545064 05/18/12 05:11 PM
J
jadler Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Been on this site now for only a week but I love hearing all of these stories. I was almost in tears for some of them and will need to save this topic!

Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: Jordan Massey] #7545076 05/18/12 05:13 PM
B
Bass_Girl Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I think I would rather fish by myself than have to listen to someone whine and complain the whole time. Fishing is suppose to be fun and relaxing... not that. Sorry! I would def find a new fishing partner and never invite that one back!

Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: ssj3goten] #7545079 05/18/12 05:14 PM
T
TheCraftsman Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Originally Posted By: ssj3goten
Originally Posted By: TheCraftsman
Originally Posted By: tamale
Sure am glad that when I went bass fishing with my friend the first time, years and years ago, that he didnt think like some of you when I showed up with my 1 rod and tackle box.

Now, I've got more rods than I have a place for, won tourney's with fields over 100+ teams, and on my 4th bass boat.

Awesome. I am always glad to hear the stories of "new" anglers coming into the sport.

I know it is anoying to head out on the water with someone who has now clue. But sometimes you need to take that day to teach rather than trying to catch fish yourself. I often find more pleasure in putting someone who doesn't know how to fish, whether they think they do or not, on the fish than catching fish myself. Use it as an opportunity, don't let it drag your day down!

The key is the person stating they are new to fishing and wanting to learn vs a person who says they know how to fish and can't. I would go into each with a different mindset on where to fish, what to bring, how to to fish.

Your right, but I prepare the same way every time no matter what. And whenever i am fishing with someone new, no matter what they tell me, I don't go in with expectations of serious hard-core fishing. I expect to spend the day catering to them. Heck if i bring someone along with me, I plan on catering to them no matter what, because they are my guest. I never expect them to pay for gas or anything, I would have spent the same amount in gas whether or not they went. If they offer, I refuse to accept the money, but if they insist then I take it and thank them no matter what they paid.

www.phkellner.com
www.fishtattoo.com
Jackson Kayak | Bending Branches | P. H. Kellner - Quality Custom Fishing
www.facebook.com/pages/Pat-Kellner/305551956122332
Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: Jordan Massey] #7545117 05/18/12 05:23 PM
L
Lone Star Lunker Hunter Offline
Angler
Angler
L
You and me in same boat dude i went with someone one time, find out he can't work a trailer, boat, depthfinder, or fish. Turns out i was there for tutorials wtf

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide