Print Thread
Another trolling motor / sonar set-up question #7511859 05/10/12 03:30 AM
C
Chuck Sheridan Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Guys I am about to purchase a new sonar for the trolling motor. I am having a hard time trying to figure out if I really want to go full on just yet with this or if I can. I know I can get the Lowrance with down imaging Elite 5 with an adaptor for the trolling motor. But what I am wanting to know is can you get side scan capabilities from a trolling motor setup.. I'm really wanting to add a good unit up front. I dont need the map/gps up front since I have the console unit. It is an 06 model lowrance LMC334 model (I believe). I also have a riptide trolling motor up front. If anyone has a riptide with a transducer on it I would like to see how it was installed if possible... I have a feeling if I go with just Down imaging I will wish later that I had the Side Imaging tho... Let me know what yall think or any experiences.

Chuck Sheridan
Re: Another trolling motor / sonar set-up question [Re: Chuck Sheridan] #7511950 05/10/12 03:51 AM
C
Chuck Sheridan Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
f I am looking at things right the only way to get SI with lowrance is a transducer at the back of the boat. But I see that hummingbird has a system you can get mounted on the trolling motor.. Man they have too much stuff to choose from....

Chuck Sheridan
Re: Another trolling motor / sonar set-up question [Re: Chuck Sheridan] #7512173 05/10/12 08:30 AM
L
lakesteak123 Offline
Angler
Angler
L
You can get a transducer saver mount for a humminbird si i know for a fact! But the way side imaging works "with its razor thin sonar beams" every time you turned the trolling motor 15-20 you would get a jacked up reading on your screen. If you went mostly strait you would be just fine but if you were using it in the timber and dodging stumps all day your screen would be mostly a blur.

If it were my boat i would have my si transducer on the back of the boat and network it to the front or just have down imaging and 2d transducer up front. Just my.02

it's the crapy days that make the good days that much better!!!
Re: Another trolling motor / sonar set-up question [Re: Chuck Sheridan] #7512198 05/10/12 09:48 AM
OkieBob Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I'm looking at a similar situation. I want down imaging on my tm with the xducer on the tm. From what I have found the Elite 5xDI from Lowrance gives me DI but, no sonar...DI only. You can get one at Bass Pro for $400 (no gps either). Or you can get the Elite 5 with sonar and gps for $650.
HB 597 ci HD DI combo is also 650 or without gps for 550. Latest Bass Pro nor Cabelas catalogs show the HB unit that compares with Lowrance but, I know there is one which has DI and sonar for $400.
The $400 units both have 5" screens. The Elite does not have sonar, does not need or have split screen. The HB does have sonar and does offer split screen. Both are color and both are also available in grayscale (monochrome) I believe.
Yesterday went to both BPS and the Garland store does not carry the non gps units. The Grapevine store does not have one on display but, the sales guy checked and said they have two in stock. That is the Lowrance unit. The HB unit is not on display or in stock so you'll have to order it online and I haven't checked availability online yet.
I have the HDS on my console with SI and am happy with it. I too want a bow mount with the xducer mounted on my tm. Don't need gps on the bow.
There is a used unit on here the guy is asking $625 complete and it is the 788 with all bells and whistles.
You are right, there is a lot to choose from. And regardless of which unit you want, remember you'll have to add about $50 for the kit to mount the xducer on the tm.
Hope that helps.

I'M SOONER BORN, SOONER BRED AND WHEN I DIE I'LL BE SOONER DEAD!
Chickasaw proud.
[Linked Image]CallMatthew@972-754-1698 http://jigumjigs.com

MEMBER WALLY MARSHALL'S MR CRAPPIE PROSTAFF
MEMBER JIGUM JIGS PROSTAFF
Re: Another trolling motor / sonar set-up question [Re: Chuck Sheridan] #7512206 05/10/12 09:54 AM
OkieBob Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Chuck, I should have added that to my knowledge, the only way you can get SI is with the HDS 5 and I don't know if you could figure out a way to mount the xducer on the tm. Same would be true of the HB as far as I know.
My idea is to have the DI on the bow to speed up marking brushpiles and determining if there are crappie on them in numbers worth stopping for or moving on to the next pile.
And yes, I have a lot of faith in DI.

I'M SOONER BORN, SOONER BRED AND WHEN I DIE I'LL BE SOONER DEAD!
Chickasaw proud.
[Linked Image]CallMatthew@972-754-1698 http://jigumjigs.com

MEMBER WALLY MARSHALL'S MR CRAPPIE PROSTAFF
MEMBER JIGUM JIGS PROSTAFF
Re: Another trolling motor / sonar set-up question [Re: lakesteak123] #7512253 05/10/12 11:13 AM
T
TreeBass Offline
Lt. Dan
Lt. Dan
T
Originally Posted By: lakesteak123
You can get a transducer saver mount for a humminbird si i know for a fact! But the way side imaging works "with its razor thin sonar beams" every time you turned the trolling motor 15-20 you would get a jacked up reading on your screen. If you went mostly strait you would be just fine but if you were using it in the timber and dodging stumps all day your screen would be mostly a blur.

If it were my boat i would have my si transducer on the back of the boat and network it to the front or just have down imaging and 2d transducer up front. Just my.02

this is what I was thinking when I made my choice ^^

I'm going wtih an HB 788 HD DI up front, and the HB 898cSI on the console.

good luck with your decision

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others

Sure-Life Products
Dobyns Rods
Holding The Line Guide Service
www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Another trolling motor / sonar set-up question [Re: TreeBass] #7512261 05/10/12 11:24 AM
DaveB Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: TreeBass
Originally Posted By: lakesteak123

this is what I was thinking when I made my choice ^^

I'm going wtih an HB 788 HD DI up front, and the HB 898cSI on the console.

good luck with your decision

thumb thumb

Keep on fishing.

Re: Another trolling motor / sonar set-up question [Re: DaveB] #7512412 05/10/12 12:44 PM
C
Creamlevel Creek Kennels Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
With the HB Units, they will fit on the TM with no problem. But I was not happy with the performance (Images) of the HB SI. The Lowrance Units require 2 transducers to get everything GPS/Sonar, then a different transducer for SI/DI. You can put the SS-1 Transducer or the HDS Transducer on the (My) TM. But not both, or I haven't figured out how. The SS-1 transducer is 5" long and requires ALL the room I have on my TM, so with not being able to get both transducers on the TM, you are with out the SI/DI or GPS/Sonar/Temp basically everything that the Fish Finder brings.

When I had my HB-1198 and HB-898 I had SI/DI on the front, with no problems. But I really didn't use the SI at all, but the DI was every important. Unless you can get a minimum of 7" between the fin and the blades of the prop on your TM, the best that I have figured, Lowrance will not work and give you everything. The SS-2 is about 2"-3" longer than the SS-1.

I am looking at buying a 5" DI Unit during the summer. I think I can get BOTH of these Transducers on my TM.

Maybe someone has figure out how to get both Transducers on trolling motor. Would be interested in hearing that.

keith

Re: Another trolling motor / sonar set-up question [Re: Chuck Sheridan] #7516482 05/11/12 09:17 AM
L
lakesteak123 Offline
Angler
Angler
L
I have and 898si combo on my console and a lowrance color gps/sonar on my tm. The company called transducer saver makes a bracket that fits over the humminbird transducer. You only have to have one transducer to work a humminbird with si/Di/2d. Now with a lowrance you have two transducers to rig up to make that happen. There is a whole gear section on this forum dedicated to sonar questions check down there for more info.

it's the crapy days that make the good days that much better!!!
Re: Another trolling motor / sonar set-up question [Re: lakesteak123] #7516504 05/11/12 10:26 AM
Bobcat1 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I know Humminbird will work up on the front. I love having side imaging on the trolling motor. Sure if you turn the head to quickly the image blurs but most of the time I am on the trolling motor I'm not racing anyone. Most movements are slow. It becomes a great tool once you learn to use it.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Another trolling motor / sonar set-up question [Re: Creamlevel Creek Kennels] #7517270 05/11/12 03:34 PM
J
jsplinter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Creamlevel Creek Kennels
With the HB Units, they will fit on the TM with no problem. But I was not happy with the performance (Images) of the HB SI. The Lowrance Units require 2 transducers to get everything GPS/Sonar, then a different transducer for SI/DI. You can put the SS-1 Transducer or the HDS Transducer on the (My) TM. But not both, or I haven't figured out how. The SS-1 transducer is 5" long and requires ALL the room I have on my TM, so with not being able to get both transducers on the TM, you are with out the SI/DI or GPS/Sonar/Temp basically everything that the Fish Finder brings.

When I had my HB-1198 and HB-898 I had SI/DI on the front, with no problems. But I really didn't use the SI at all, but the DI was every important. Unless you can get a minimum of 7" between the fin and the blades of the prop on your TM, the best that I have figured, Lowrance will not work and give you everything. The SS-2 is about 2"-3" longer than the SS-1.

I am looking at buying a 5" DI Unit during the summer. I think I can get BOTH of these Transducers on my TM.

Maybe someone has figure out how to get both Transducers on trolling motor. Would be interested in hearing that.

keith

Keith,
I am going to see if I can use the adaptor cable for my HDS5 on the bow to match it up with the universal transducer in my terrova then mount a LSS on the trololing motor. this probably wont happen for a while but may be a solution to your problem of getting both transducers on the trolling motor.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide