Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Worried about Snakes? #750337 09/26/02 05:01 PM
K.D. Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
First off, let me say I'm not a professional nor do I have any formal education regarding snakes. When I started tubing, I asked everyone I could find about the threat of snakes. I heard everything from "Become one with the snakes" to "They won't bother you if you don't bother them." After doing some research I came to find that more people in Texas die from lightning strikes than from snakebites. For more info on those statistics from 1978 to present see this link: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/expltx/jrnat/bitestats.htm We've all heard you have a bigger chance of winning the lottery than being hit by lightning, so it only reasons that I have a bigger chance of winning the lottery than I do of being bitten by a snake! Makes the threat seem pretty insignificant doesn't it?

Now, regarding the infamous Water Moccasin, who by the way is the only poisonous snake in the water in this area. The copperhead may be close to water, but the moccasin can be in it. I found some good info at this site: http://www.markw.com/fangs.htm This article even has tips on what to do if you do get bit. Basically, if you're within an hour drive of a hospital, the odds of the bite doing major damage are pretty small.

The next thing to do was to learn to identify what I was seeing. Was it poisonous or not? I didn't want to have to get too close to ANY snake to find out, so I learned to identify the markings. These sites will help with that. Don't be overwhelmed by the number of snakes they list. Learn the basics between a watersnake and a water moccasin and you should be OK. A copperhead is pretty easy to identify once you've seen a photo, so the big deal is the moccasin. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/expltx/jrnat/safesnake.htm
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/expltx/jrnat/snakefaq.htm

With the info I learned from these pages and others like it, I realized the odds of getting bit are pretty small. Basically, leave the snake alone, and it'll leave you alone. Don't try to handle them. The watersnakes I've encountered will go the other direction pretty quickly once they see you. I fish one small lake that I've seen a water snake EVERY time I've fished it, but they always go the other direction once they see me. Unless they are short and fat (like you're forearm) and very dark solid color, they're ok. The water snakes are a light brown tan color with a darker stripe running thru them. These snakes are not poisonous and are not generally agressive either. Of course, I still give them all a wide berth, and generall just slowly move away from the area when I see any snake. The lake is big enough for the both of us if I give them enough respect and space!

I hope this removes some of the fear of snakes and educates you a little about what to do should you encounter one. The info really helped me to get out there and get to tubing!

Kelly Denham

[This message has been edited by Kelly Denham (edited 09-26-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Kelly Denham (edited 09-26-2002).]

Re: Worried about Snakes? #750338 09/26/02 06:41 PM
S
Steve-O Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
I figure we make enough commotion that the snakes will realize we are not something they want to float on. Besides, your rod is a pretty effective weapon, methinks.

However, Snapping Turtles and Alligators are another thing. So, stay out of water with alligators (duh!). And don't use a stringer. Use a fish basket. Snapping turtles will be attracted to fishing line.

You know WWIII has started when the French surrender!
Re: Worried about Snakes? #750339 09/26/02 10:07 PM
S
SnakePool Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Here is a link to the Snakes of Texas... http://www.zo.utexas.edu/research/txherps/snakes/

------------------
Jesse Garcia
SnakePool Reptiles and Design

Re: Worried about Snakes? #750340 09/27/02 02:34 AM
E
Eddie Haskell Offline
Angler
Angler
E
Anytime you want see a copperhead or the occasional rattler in the water, come on up to Bridgeport and fish way up Jasper Creek for spawning crappie. I've never had any problem with them, but I do keep my distance. As long as I can see the snake, I'm not too concerned, but I sure have a fear of one coming up behind me.

Re: Worried about Snakes? #750341 09/30/02 11:53 PM
Fly Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
My rational= "Good morning Mr. Snake, how are you, enjoying the Sun over there on your weed bed? Caught any good frogs lately? How's Mrs Snake? And your baby Snakes? Well, you just enjoy the day and don't mind me......but if you come over here I may get bitten, but YOU"RE GONNA BE A &*#@$ng BELT!!!

He leadeth me beside still waters.

Re: Worried about Snakes? #750342 09/30/02 11:56 PM
Fly Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Got so involved with that snake I posted it twice...long story short, I leave snakes so alone they think they're orphans>

[This message has been edited by Fly (edited 09-30-2002).]

He leadeth me beside still waters.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide