Print Thread
Tube Fishing 101 #750325 09/26/02 03:54 PM
I
imacomin Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
I
Nice new topic we have here. I don't have any experience with tube fishing, and since we have a new topic, yall should discuss the basics of tube fishing, starting from scratch. This way, someone who has zero knowledge of tube fishing (or maybe even fishing at all) can read through this topic and get all the tips, tactics, do's and don't's, pros and cons of tube fishing, and even all the good stories they could ever want.

[This message has been edited by i_catch_tree_bass (edited 09-26-2002).]

Re: Tube Fishing 101 #750326 09/26/02 04:22 PM
David Lee Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Do you tube fishers ever have problems with snakes. That is about the only thing that keeps me from getting into tube fishing. I do not like snakes. And the few people I have fished with and seen snakes while we are out have noticed. The only good snake to me is either dead or about 50 yards away.

------------------
David

Originally Posted By: FattyMcButterpants
Yes I did admit defeat. Good job back to back champion
Re: Tube Fishing 101 #750327 09/26/02 04:29 PM
K.D. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
David,

I'm in the process of building a new thread regarding snakes. This was one of my main concerns when I first started tubing. For me personally, I felt education was the key. Once I could identify the real threat (moccasins) from the non-threatening snakes, I'd be in a little better shape. Once I realized how small the threat is, I overcame the fear.

This new thread will include some links I've found that have some great info.

Kelly Denham

Re: Tube Fishing 101 #750328 09/26/02 06:24 PM
S
Steve-O Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Here's list of starter tips:
-Bass pro shop has a good selection of tubes. I bought the $50 one and have not had a problems with it. I know 4 of us that have this model.
-buy the flipper style flippers. Not the back of the ankle ones. These don't work as well. These are $20.
-When you first fill the tube, make sure the hole lines up with the canvas cover.
-Fill the tube plumb full. You don't want it sagging in the middle.
-Take the inflation tube with you. You may need to put a bit more air in the tube while on the water.
-I'm told a 20" truck tire makes a nice replacement tube. You have to stick the air nozzle out front though.
-Take everything you will need with you. It's a long way to shore sometimes. go through your tackle box and take a little of everything (hooks, line, swivels, bait). Put this in smaller containers that will fit in the pockets.
-Take a piece of rope in case you need to tie off to a tree or bridge pier.
-I like to paddle upwind along a bank and let the wind blow me back along the bank. This way I can fish the whole bank and not scare the little fishies.

------------------
Tight lines,
Steve-O

You know WWIII has started when the French surrender!
Re: Tube Fishing 101 #750329 09/26/02 10:09 PM
S
SnakePool Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Do you sit in the tube with your feet in front or do your feet dangle from the middle of it?

------------------
Jesse Garcia
SnakePool Reptiles and Design

Re: Tube Fishing 101 #750330 09/27/02 12:44 AM
K.D. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
David,

You sit upright in the seat, with your feet directly below you as if you were in a chair. To move you can either put them in front of you and kick like you were snorkling upside down, or move them under you in a backwards pedal movement like a bicycle. The use of fins will greatly increase your speed and mobility. If you're in a completely round tube and do the scuba movement, your thighs may hit the bottom of the tube and this causes some people problems. Also, you generally will always move backwards unless you've got special fins that will move you forwards, but these are small and don't allow you much speed. Like anything, there's a give and take involved...LOL

Kelly

Re: Tube Fishing 101 #750331 09/27/02 01:22 AM
W
WhopaCatchr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
I also like to take 2 inch pvc pipe and cut to length (about 1 foot) then drill two holes in each end. Use a bungee cord to connect to the holes and around the tube. These make cheap rod holders and can be easely removed if needed. I also wear bootie neoprine waders and wear wet suite boots you can also buy special neoprine boots to fit over the waders. I like to keep all my lures in plastic boxes so not to put a hole in the tube. If your tube has the backrest you can keep extra clothing or supplies in there in place of the bladder. I have been tube fishing for years and have never had any problems with snakes, just always be carefull when entering the water and be aware of over hanging trees. Snakes love to sun on the limbs and may fall on you. If you are going on an extended trip make sure you have a spare inner tube in case you get a flat. I'm sure as this site progresses much more info will be presented.

Re: Tube Fishing 101 #750332 09/27/02 01:45 AM
K.D. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
That last post made me think of my rod holder. I did a search for it on Bass Pro Shops online but couldn't find it. They are $9.95 at Bass Pro, but here's a photo. http://www.campbellsprotackle.com/store/product.asp?ID=806

I ran a web-strap thru each outside tube, then a bungee cord horizontally over and under the tube across the back. This is mounted directly behind me on my tube and the straps run on each side of the pillow top cushion. It works great!

I posted on another thread already about mounting my fishfinder.

Personally, I don't throw treble hooked baits in my tube, as I don't want a blow out, but I'm working on rigging armor that will wrap the tube and stay within the outter shell. I'm going to use 50Mil plastic sheeting that's used in commercial roofing. Also, this will add protection should you hit a submerged branch or stump in your tube.

Kelly Denham

not trying to hog this new board, but I'm VERY MOTIVATED about tubing!

Re: Tube Fishing 101 #750333 09/27/02 02:00 AM
S
Steve-O Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Rod holders:

My tube has two velcro straps in front of each armrest that is made to hold your rods. I will put catfish bait on one rode and strap in here while fishing for bass/crappie with the other. I figure that velcro strap can hold anything till I get to it. Plus the low location interfere with casting.

You know WWIII has started when the French surrender!
Re: Tube Fishing 101 #750334 09/27/02 02:50 AM
J
Jersey Striper Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I copied the rod holder that Kelly made and think that is works great. As for the one in the front, my tube has them as well but when I put on there I feel that is is the way(probably my fat gut but the rod always seems to come off of there.)

Well I sure am glad that we have a topi just for tubing. I am very new to tubing but am eally loving it so far.

I keep seeing post about people using a floating net rather that a stringer for there catch but can't seem to find one. Anyone know where to find one.

I am interested in getting to together with other tubers to fish with. I live in Denton and like to go ro Ray Roberts and Lewisville but would be up to anywhere is time and schedule allow.

Gary

Re: Tube Fishing 101 #750335 09/27/02 03:27 AM
K.D. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Gary,

I've done tons of searches on the internet for everything I could thing of relating to tubing. Here's what I've found relating to making your own livewell. Basically, you use one of those floaties that you see kids using and a laundry bag that's woven like a net.
http://pub30.bravenet.com/photocenter/view.php?img=20008&usernum=2529951283
http://pub30.bravenet.com/photocenter/view.php?img=19999&usernum=2529951283

Here's another that's got a more solid type laundry bag in it.
http://pub30.bravenet.com/photocenter/view.php?img=27344&usernum=2529951283

Those West Coast tubers have thought of everything! See the Halibut in the second link I listed!

Kelly

[This message has been edited by Kelly Denham (edited 09-26-2002).]

Re: Tube Fishing 101 #750336 09/27/02 03:04 PM
M
Mo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
I have not been in a tube in the last few
years, but I used to fish them a lot. I will
throw out a couple of things, maybe it will
help someone.
A tube will slow you down and that is a
good thing. Fish all available cover very
slowly. Running and gunning is not an option. Make several casts to a target, Sometimes the 4th or 5th cast will bring
a strike.
Consider taking along an ultralight outfit.
Many days the bass would just not cooperare,
and the ultralight would save the day. ( And
you haven't lived untill you have a 5 lb bass
on 4lb test jumping around your tube.)
I would also recomend a PFD. If you did lose air suddenly, you could be in big trouble. The new inflatable with the CO2
canisters would be cheap life insurance.
If you have a healthy heart, Throw a
black jitterburg on moonless nights. If you
hear plop ,plop, plop , plop--slurp-- Set the
hook and hold on.
MO

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide