Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Has anyone gone from a Fortrex to Terrova I-Pilot ? #7473909 04/30/12 03:36 PM
J
Jersey Dan Offline OP
Guido
OP Offline
Guido
J
Visually the quality of the Terrova (shaft, foot pedal, deploy mechanism) are cheaply made compared to the Fortrex.

I really need to hear some feedback from people who ran a Fortrex for a period of time and swapped out to Terrova.

I'm concerned about the shaft holding up to heavy stumps. I know the Fortrex is made for war, but not sure about the Terrova.

I want the I-pilot spot lock bad though.

Just spoke to Minn Kota and they do not ever forsee Ipilot being available for Fortrex.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Has anyone gone from a Fortrex to Terrova I-Pilot ? [Re: Jersey Dan] #7473918 04/30/12 03:39 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
I've been debating it as well.

Buddy of mine works on TM and he says the Ipilot is good. Use a locking device to hold it down while running.

Not sure about hitting stumps though.....might be a good question for me to ask him.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Has anyone gone from a Fortrex to Terrova I-Pilot ? [Re: Jersey Dan] #7473927 04/30/12 03:41 PM
Barrett Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
There has got to be a delay though since its an electronic foot deal.

Re: Has anyone gone from a Fortrex to Terrova I-Pilot ? [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #7473938 04/30/12 03:44 PM
J
Jersey Dan Offline OP
Guido
OP Offline
Guido
J
Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Buddy of mine works on TM and he says the Ipilot is good. Use a locking device to hold it down while running.

Not sure about hitting stumps though.....might be a good question for me to ask him.

Ask him how many broken shafts he has seen?

Re: Has anyone gone from a Fortrex to Terrova I-Pilot ? [Re: Jersey Dan] #7473946 04/30/12 03:47 PM
H
heybaylor Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
maybe stay with the fortrex, and buy a anchor..
used em for years , very little maintenance

heybaylor
Re: Has anyone gone from a Fortrex to Terrova I-Pilot ? [Re: heybaylor] #7473968 04/30/12 03:51 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: heybaylor
maybe stay with the fortrex, and buy a anchor..
used em for years , very little maintenance

Anchors don't adjust for the wind change and go from waypoint to waypoint.....unless you bend yo rear over and pull anchor!

I still use my 'redneck power pole anchor!' Great simple tool!

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Has anyone gone from a Fortrex to Terrova I-Pilot ? [Re: Jersey Dan] #7473983 04/30/12 03:53 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: Jersey Dan

I sent him a text.

I will say this....just about every shattered shaft he sees is bowfishing guys. Man they can TRASH a SHAFT QUICK!

MK is getting eaten alive by those warranty claims!

Minn Kota Terrova vs. Fortrex [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #7474008 04/30/12 03:59 PM
C
CQB Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I have made the switch and I do like the Terrova, the spot lock system.. However, the spot lock does not hold the boat in as small an area as they advertise, it will keep the boat fairly close, but not necessarily in the 15' distance they say-- of course this depends a bit on how hard the wind is blowing. The biggest problem is the mounting/deployment hardware. I have had mine come "unlatched" when running in rough water and now I tie it down with a cord before starting the big motor.. I also have a buddy that has one and his has also deployed while running in rough water.. When this happens and damage is done to the shaft or mounting bracket, Minn Kota will Not Pay for repair.. They say this problem is not covered under warranty. When mine came unstowed, the shaft broke and it costed me $386 to repair. Keep your Fortrex for backup. I have had to swith the Terrova out 3 times due to the problems woth the mounting and lock down hardware.

Re: Has anyone gone from a Fortrex to Terrova I-Pilot ? [Re: Barrett] #7474020 04/30/12 04:01 PM
T Gutierrez Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Barrett
There has got to be a delay though since its an electronic foot deal.

There you go. In conjunction with losing GPS signal and a 20 plus foot roam. Its just not in the cards for now.

[Linked Image]11.01

Re: Minn Kota Terrova vs. Fortrex [Re: Jersey Dan] #7474021 04/30/12 04:01 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I'll give a report in about 2 weeks. I am looking at my new Terrova in the box in my office now! I hope I like this thing.

Re: Has anyone gone from a Fortrex to Terrova I-Pilot ? [Re: Jersey Dan] #7474022 04/30/12 04:01 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B

Per his text -

I-Pilot shaft is thicker.
Power Drive Shaft is identical to everything else

No break away system on the I-Pilot - so you will see more broken shafts.

I hope this helps!

Re: Minn Kota Terrova vs. Fortrex [Re: Jersey Dan] #7474029 04/30/12 04:03 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
CQB you need the RAM Mount for that thing while running....another company makes one that has rubber that allows it to flex and not get jarred so much. I can't think of it's company name....

Re: Has anyone gone from a Fortrex to Terrova I-Pilot ? [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #7474030 04/30/12 04:04 PM
J
Jersey Dan Offline OP
Guido
OP Offline
Guido
J

Per his text -

I-Pilot shaft is thicker.
Power Drive Shaft is identical to everything else

No break away system on the I-Pilot - so you will see more broken shafts.

I hope this helps!

So just like I thought if you are fishing lakes with heavy stumps you are screwed.

Re: Has anyone gone from a Fortrex to Terrova I-Pilot ? [Re: Jersey Dan] #7474057 04/30/12 04:10 PM
Pitdad Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I bought a new Ranger last fall and was pondering this same question. The dealer told me that he installed 3 Terrova's on bass boats in 2011, and all three buyers came back asking to have them changed to Fortrex. Apparently the guys were complaining about responsiveness.

My brother installed a Terrova on a fish&ski. I tried it and hated it, mainly because it's very different to operate than a cable steered trolling motor and I really found it to be slow to respond. This is my brother's first trolling motor. He doesn't have to "unlearn" old habits and is happy with the Terrova.

I had a Fortrex on my old boat and had a great experience. I went with the Fortrex on my new boat and continue the positive experience.

I sure would like that i-pilot feature in the wind, but am not willing to give up the responsiveness.

Hope this helps.

[Linked Image]
Re: Has anyone gone from a Fortrex to Terrova I-Pilot ? [Re: Jersey Dan] #7474099 04/30/12 04:19 PM
Barrett Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
ive heard from people who own them that there is a delay unlike on a cable driven.

No Thanks. Ill trust cables over electronic any day.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide