Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Update on Boat Fire #74698 10/01/03 11:16 PM
CapnJoe Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I met the insurance adjusters at my boat storage place today, and I saw the boat that started the fire. It was a brand new Ranger bass boat. I was told the owner (former owner?) had it less than 3 weeks.

Take my word for something, be sure the fire extingusher on your boat is charged and you can reach it quickly in a fire. I never knew until today to what extent a fiberglass boat can burn. There was nothing inside the hull you would ever recognize. As for me, after seeing that burned out hull, I will be adding a second, larger fire extinguisher to my boat.

I would say the peak of the roof of the metal building is at least 30 feet up, and the flames from the boat fire burned a hole in the steel roof and melted the steel that the roof panels are screwed to. I know a lot of the heat came from the on board fuel, but the fiberglass had to have burned very hot as well since the trolling motor on the front of the boat was reduced nearly to ashes.

I would have taken a picture for ya'll but they would not let me since it was not my boat and there is a big investigation going on.

I'll take some pictures of my boat and post them after the adjusters get done with it provided I can figure out how to do it. Sorry to keep ranting about the boat fire, and I know it's just a material thing, but I had waited a lot of years to get back in my own boat, and it's tough to accept that all I've got right now is a boat payment with nothing to take out on the lake.

Joe

Joe

Re: Update on Boat Fire #74699 10/01/03 11:46 PM
B
bgibson Offline
Angler
Angler
B
CapnJoe - I read your original report and was curious to find out if an ignition source was found that started the fire in the other boat. You didn't mention whether or not the storage facility had electricity to each area in which the boats were stored. Is it possible the owner could have been keeping electrical power to an onboard battery charger and this provided the spark igniting everything? Also noticed that you were trying to obtain an incident report from the fire dept. Unless it is just for your personal info, I would let you insurance company pay for the report and obtain it, that is what you are paying the large premiums for. Good luck in you endeavor.

Re: Update on Boat Fire #74700 10/02/03 12:21 PM
CapnJoe Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Bgibson,

I got the feeling that I was not very welcome around all the insurance people yesterday. Nothing specific, but they were talking quietly and a couple of times they stopped talking at all when I was near.

I did overhear enough to know that they were suspecting the onboard battery charger as a potential source of the fire. The boat had been left with the charger plugged in. I asked the fire marshall how many boat fires he had seen that were suspected of being caused by the on board charger. He had no seen any, and one of the insurance guys, overhearing my question, walked over and said he had only seen 3 fires in 10 years that were caused by an onboard charger. Portable charges, he told me, had a much worse safety record.

One of the other insurance guys, overhearing that, was quick to walk over and point out that there was no evidence that pointed to the charger as the source of the fire, that it was just one of the things they were investigating. I did notice they took a lot of pictures of the part of the boat where the charger was mounted, as well as the 110 volt plug on the wall.

I'm trying to be careful here that I don't misrepresent anything or accidently state something wrong. I think this one gets really ugly for somebody before it ends due the high cost of the damage to a lot of boats and RVs. I don't see how my boat storage place was in any way negligent, and they have been most helpful to me. That's why I have yet to say who they are because they run a first class business (even provide free ice) and I would not want to create any publicity that could cause someone not to choose them. I don't want to get sued either!

Joe

Re: Update on Boat Fire #74701 10/02/03 01:39 PM
J
j.steve Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
The old saying, S**t rolls down hill fits right in here, LOL. They are probably trying to blame the storage facility's plug and breakers and the facilities insurance is trying to say it was his onboard charger. More than likely end in court. Your insurance should take care of you first and they will get their money back later.

2 Thessalonians 1:6-10
In these verses, there are dire consequences for NOT obeying the gospel. What the world claims as "saved" isn't gonna cut it! Learn what it is, in an eye opening true story, "Muscle and a Shovel", by Michael Shank.
Re: Update on Boat Fire #74702 10/02/03 01:40 PM
The Hag Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I had an onboard charger short out and catch fire. The batteries were fully charged and the charger was just trickle charging. Luckily, even though the boat was in my outside storage building, I had my tarp on the boat. The tarp prevented enough oxygen from getting to the fire and it put itself out. It melted everything in the back and both windshields. The rest of the boat was unharmed except for smoke. The manufacturer of the charger didn't even argue after the charger was sent in to them for investigation. They paid for 100% of the damages without one single problem. I was told by the marina that mine was the third one in 2 years that they had seen catch fire. One guy wasn't so lucky. The boat was in his garage and it burned his house down to the ground.

Another note.....even if it appears that some rods and reels may not be damaged, but just have smoke damage, the heat from the fire will weaken those rods! I would demand all new rods.

Best of luck. I bet you have no problems whatsoever getting back on the water. They just want to see exactly who is going to pay for it all. Your insurance agency should go ahead and pay you for everything now and then subregate the responsible party. If not, I would be looking for another agent.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Dobyns Rods Staff http://www.dobynsrods.com
Re: Update on Boat Fire #74703 10/02/03 08:06 PM
B
bgibson Offline
Angler
Angler
B
A lot of people (myself included) sometimes forget about checking the water level on the so called maintenance free batteries. Especially if you leave the charger on and don't come back ever so often and monitor the water level. Several years ago, I plugged the charger in without first checking the water level on the starting battery and blew the battery to pieces, luckily the plastic battery storage box kept the pieces inside and no damage was done to the boat. The loud explosion is an attention getter to say the least. Once again, wish you the best of luck.

Re: Update on Boat Fire #74704 10/02/03 10:03 PM
CapnJoe Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
OK, here goes my first attempt to post a picture here.

[img] http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/46/E2/BoatPicturesGroup/1/1.jpg [/img]
[This message has been edited by CapnJoe (edited 10-02-2003).]

I give up! Would be nice to learn how to do it so I could post fishing pictures someday. If anybody can tell me what I'm doing wrong I'll try to edit it.

Anyway, I have pictures of my melted boat on that MSN group if anybody wants to see them. I also took one of a hellbender, on the side of the boat away from the fire, that survived. That will be my lucky lure for sure when I get back on the water.

The URL for the group is http://www.msnusers.com/BoatPicturesGroup/shoebox.msnw if anybody wants to see them.

Joe

Re: Update on Boat Fire #74705 10/02/03 10:24 PM
J
jimin8r Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
capnjoe, don't put spaces after the [img] and before the [/img], and it should work for you. I took a look at the picture and you're referencing the thumbnail picture (very small), open it up in your browser and click on the thumbnail to enlarge the picture. Get the URL from the Properties and use it.

Good luck,
James

Re: Update on Boat Fire #74706 10/02/03 10:28 PM
CapnJoe Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
OK, one more time....

[img]http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0WQDSAlkb*dPEav![/img]

Thanks, James, I took out the spaces and used the properties tab from the actual picture, not the thumbnail. It appears MSN has some kind of security lock that prevents going directly in to the file. Anyway, I at least got a box with an 'X' in it this time.

Joe

Re: Update on Boat Fire #74707 10/03/03 06:20 AM
T
teamdaiwa Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T

[This message has been edited by teamdaiwa (edited 10-03-2003).]

Re: Update on Boat Fire #74708 10/03/03 02:51 PM
J
j.steve Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UAAuAGwXjawYf5dULiYj9uP2YpMovp4cP98z99uxt0b5owaG5igybWl3lrAUl0rOwqoqAXbVUlNt0O4Kq7!uqmzbPHtIqZlOfNiS*G5NBRfHb95VsTClfW0AZwAvAGMA/Boat20Pics2001. jpg[/img]
[IMG]
Just so y'all can see what I did. I right clicked on this picture in CapnJoe's album and saved it to my computer but before I hit the "save" button, I took out the spaces he put in the name and then saved it. I then uploaded it to my album and tried to post the picture here and it didn't work. The reason is the name had too many characters in it(19). You can see that MSN put a space between the 2 and the 0. That caused it not to work. I then deleted that photo in the album and re-named the one on my computer with 14 characters and uploaded it, posted it here and it was STILL too many characters. I deleted it off my album and re-named it on my computer with 13 characters, uploaded it to the share album, posted it here and it worked. The characters contained letters and numbers but there cannot be any spaces in the name nor can the name be longer than 13 characters long. Evidently that is the limit. Right click on the picture and choose "Properties" and scroll down the URL and you will see that the name is Boat20Pics201. Don't ask me why it is this way cause I too dumb to know why
Also FYI, you cannot re-name the photos in the album and expect it to work. I tried that and it didn't. The URL still showed the original name even though I changed it on the album. Again, I don't know why that is. I HAD to re-name them on my computer and then upload them to the TFF album. Hope this explains posting pics here and if not I am sure it confused the hell out of ya . Dang, I gotta get a life or at least go back to work,

[This message has been edited by j.steve (edited 10-03-2003).]

In these verses, there are dire consequences for NOT obeying the gospel. What the world claims as "saved" isn't gonna cut it! Learn what it is, in an eye opening true story, "Muscle and a Shovel", by Michael Shank.
Re: Update on Boat Fire #74709 10/03/03 04:01 PM
CapnJoe Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
j.steve, you are The Man!

I'm not trying to turn this in to my private training session, but someday I know I'll want to show ya'll a fish.

[img]http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0TgDGAt8YePMBjQ85f7UP450lVlVY8KzrzKTyazkcpzNzIieKHsq4nkMBb7sEXAtm[/img]

[This message has been edited by CapnJoe (edited 10-03-2003).]

One more time...

[img]http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0SgCz*8EWrGMBjQ85f7UP450lVlVY8KzrXSnQ7HQGoFW3XCEQ*Y0u18M8zXkaYS7bF34L7NmJvvQ41VO03aN[/img]

[img]http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0SgAAAMEWrGMBjQ85f7UP450lVlVY8KzrXSnQ7HQGoFW3XCEQ*Y0u18M8zXkaYS7bF34L7NmJvvQ41VO03aN*QUdotoTQwS*dJzSSyiY1Z*zFznZOMBJ4GQ/Hellbender.jpg?[/img]

Finally! Thanks for the help guys. I was doing three thing wrong. First the length of the name and the spaces, second I was using my share site not TFF's, and finally there is more to the URL than you see when you right click the Properties tab, and I was not capturing all the data.

Check out the fishing line in the picture of the hellbender. It didn't melt in two but it sure needs to be replaced.

Glad I've finally learned how to post pictures. Thanks again for all the help.

Joe

Re: Update on Boat Fire #74710 10/03/03 08:11 PM
J
j.steve Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
CapnJoe, you can use any web site but the restrictions have to be set to where anyone can view them. I have posted from 2 other MSN sites I have but I have the restrictions set to where anyone can view but you have to be a member to be able to post pictures or add files. Glad ya got it down.
Looking at your pics, that sure was some intense heat in there. I hope ya come out good with your insurance and get back on the water soon. Good luck!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide