Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Casting Comments - Casting in the Wind #7417052 04/16/12 02:55 AM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
A few days ago, we completely high jacked another thread with a discussion on casting in the wind. So, I thought I’d start a separate thread for the topic.

There are books written on dealing with the wind. Obviously, we neither have the space to cover everything about casting in the wind, nor am I smart enough to even attempt it. So, I’ll stick with the basics.

Regardless of wind direction, the three actions that will make the biggest impact on improved casting in windy conditions are 1. Increase Line Speed, 2. Tighten the Loop Size, and 3. Change the Trajectory of the Cast.

> Increase line speed - Generally, the faster the line is moving the easier it will punch through the wind. You can increase the speed of the casting stroke (which is basically, cast faster), but an easier and more effective method is to use a double haul.

> Tighten loop size - A smaller, tighter loop will present a smaller surface area to the wind and will be less affected by the wind.

> Change the trajectory of the casting stroke - Trajectory refers to the plane the line moves in during the cast. For a delicate presentation, the trajectory is often parallel to the water. In windy conditions, the water will be choppy and a delicate presentation is not usually required, so you may want to raise or lower the trajectory of the cast so that the fly will turn over either closer or farther from the water.

There are four main wind directions to deal with; a headwind, a tailwind, from the rod hand side, and from the line hand side. If the wind is quartering, well, you may have to use combinations of these adjustments.

First , the easy one, wind blowing from the line hand side - Generally, if you increase line speed, tighten the loops, and adjust the trajectory, you can use your normal casting style. I like to adjust the trajectory so the fly turns over near the water, that way the fly will drop to the water before the wind can blow it off the target. Basically, “aim for the water”.

Headwinds - Increase line speed and tight loops are critical. Change the trajectory, to a low forward cast and a high backcast. The wind help load the rod by “pulling” the line during the high backcast. The low forward cast will turn over the fly near the water’s surface. You want the fly to land on the water before the wind has a chance to blow it back to you.

Head winds and Tail winds are similar, but with a tail wind reverse the trajectory to have a low backcast and a high forward cast. The wind will help pull the line during the high forward cast. However, it is still key to get a good solid backcast.

Wind from the Rod Side - The problem with wind blowing from the rod side is that there is very sharp piece of metal at the end of the fly line and the wind will try to blow the line toward the caster. It can be very painful if the wind pushes the line enough for the hook to hit the caster. The number one goal is to keep the hook away from the caster. In a light wind, a side arm cast may keep the fly at a safe distance, but with stronger winds, you’ll want to keep the line on the downwind side of the caster. There are several ways to keep the line down wind, including; cast with your other hand, turn around and then deliver the fly to the target on the “backcast”, use a Belgium style cast with a low arm backcast and a very high arm forward cast so the fly line passes on the downwind side of the caster, and there are at least a dozen other options. However, the easiest option and the one that I recommend is to use a normal, vertical style cast, but tilt your hand slightly toward your head so that the tip of rod travels on the down wind side of the head and the line will be down wind. The advantage of this technique is that you use your normal casting motion with just a change in hand position. This is an effective technique, but it does not work very well with a low side arm casting style.

In my opinion, line speed, tight loops, and trajectory are the key elements to effectively casting in the wind. I also think that increasing the wt of your equipment helps, for example an 8 wt rod and line are easier to cast in the wind than a 3 wt rod and line. Fly selection also plays a factor, some big flies are very wind resistant and are difficult to cast in the wind.

On the other thread, we started discussing some of the more advanced techniques. At this point, I’m going to bow out and quote someone that knows more than I do about the subject.

Hopefully, this is properly quoted so that this will be legal and meets the posting rules.

From page 119, of “Performance Fly Casting” by Jon B. Cave (this is a nice concise casting book for anyone trying to learn the basic cast):

“ Additional Tips for Dealing with the Wind
- If conditions permit, change to a higher-density line, such as from a floating line to an intermediate one. Because of their smaller diameter, sinking lines are less wind-resistant and therefore easier to cast in wind than floating lines.
- Try a fly line with a blunt forward taper, which may facilitate casting into wind.
- Use a short, heavy leader, which will turn over more easily in windy conditions than a long, light leader.
- Switch to a smaller, more streamlined fly.
- When circumstances allow, move to a more strategically located casting position with regard to the wind rather than try to make a difficult presentation that has little chance of success.
- In a strong breeze, avoid uplining the rod, because the added weight and larger diameter of a heavier line will cause the rod to bend more deeply when loaded, creating bigger, more wind-resistant loops. A better solution is to downline by one line weight. The smaller diameter is less wind-resistant, and the reduction in weight will allow you to carry more line outside the tip with tight loops.
- During the initial backcast and any subsequent false casts, make sure the loop has enough momentum to turn over, or the resulting slack will destroy the presentation. In wind, it is often necessary to keep less line outside the rod tip than under calmer conditions. “

texas

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Casting Comments - Casting in the Wind [Re: RexW] #7417060 04/16/12 02:57 AM
Jerry Hamon Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
what? stir

Thanks Rex!
Good stuff.

Owner/Guide at River Crossing Guide Service

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Re: Casting Comments - Casting in the Wind [Re: Jerry Hamon] #7417107 04/16/12 03:10 AM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Rev TCF
what? stir

Nope, I'm not stirring the pot intentionally. Not this time anyway. smile

Actually, I'm planning to add a few other comments on different casting techniques as I find time to get them typed. smile

TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Casting Comments - Casting in the Wind [Re: RexW] #7417175 04/16/12 03:25 AM
Jerry Hamon Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
No, I was stirring with my "what?".

Owner/Guide at River Crossing Guide Service

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Re: Casting Comments - Casting in the Wind [Re: RexW] #7417179 04/16/12 03:26 AM
S
ScottEvil Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
good info. Texas is windy generally so important tips for people

Bowfishing sucks
Re: Casting Comments - Casting in the Wind [Re: RexW] #7417553 04/16/12 10:41 AM
G
George Glazener Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Good, info Rex!
Note: In order to be qualified to give wind casting advice, an instructor must have worn a fly in his ear lobe and "clousered" at least one fly rod!
I am confidant that Rex has met thse qualificatins!!!
grin

Last edited by George Glazener; 04/16/12 11:25 AM. Reason: Note

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds.
Previously george 1

www.reelrecovery.org

Re: Casting Comments - Casting in the Wind [Re: RexW] #7417704 04/16/12 12:21 PM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I just submitted the request. We shall see what they have to say
(I pretty much am just a "hall monitor" as far as my level of access and moderation here smile )

"have fun with this stuff"
in memory of Big Dale
RRhyne56, Flyfishing warden
Re: Casting Comments - Casting in the Wind [Re: George Glazener] #7417727 04/16/12 12:33 PM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted By: George Glazener
Note: In order to be qualified to give wind casting advice, an instructor must have worn a fly in his ear lobe and "clousered" at least one fly rod!
grin

No self piercings yet, but even though a Crease fly is made of foam, it'll still leave a nasty looking bruise on the side of your head... scared

TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Casting Comments - Casting in the Wind [Re: RexW] #7417866 04/16/12 01:15 PM
T
Txredraider Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: RexW
Originally Posted By: George Glazener
grin

No self piercings yet, but even though a Crease fly is made of foam, it'll still leave a nasty looking bruise on the side of your head... scared

I can add that a wet size 2 deerhair mouse badly cast on a 5wt in a brisk wind can make you fairly certain that you've hooked yourself in the spinal cord at the base of your skull. Or so I have read. wink

"The best trips are not planned."
Written here, and used by permission of, SBridgess.
Re: Casting Comments - Casting in the Wind [Re: RexW] #7417964 04/16/12 01:42 PM
G
George Glazener Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Rex, may I make a suggestion?
Can you structure this topic into major segments and then leave open for comments so as not to hi-jack a very important topic - then go to next segment and open open for comments?

I have much experience in this subject area that may help - for example – boat positioning is very important in fishing. Boat positioning encompasses the same fly casting challenges and techniques as casting in the wind, and learning this skill becomes second nature when wind becomes a problem.

Last edited by George Glazener; 04/16/12 02:20 PM. Reason: typos

Previously george 1

www.reelrecovery.org

Re: Casting Comments - Casting in the Wind [Re: RexW] #7418277 04/16/12 03:05 PM
M
mickfly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Thanks, Rex. Good compilation and summary. I just got back from four days fishing small trout streams in the Driftless Area of SW Wisconsin. We had a couple of fronts move through while I as there, accompanied by strong winds and blowing rain.

One of our solutions to the fishing conditions was to fish the more open, meadow-like stream settings on calmer days and fish the more wooded streams tucked along the bluffs on windy days. Once we found out what the wind direction was going to be, we'd hunt for a stream that would either have the wind coming from behind us or one that was protected by hills or bluffs.

The wind can also affect your fly choice. Too much wind and dry flies just don't work. Nymph on those days and use dries on calmer days, when the fish are more likely to be rising and they can actually see a fly on the surface.

Last edited by mickfly; 04/16/12 03:06 PM.

Mickfly
Fish Friendly -- Life's too short to do it any other way
Re: Casting Comments - Casting in the Wind [Re: RexW] #7418290 04/16/12 03:09 PM
K
kentuckytroutbum Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
George-

Very good comment about wind and boats. Having fished the coastal flats numerous times, being able to cast in the wind, and having a guide who knows how to position the boat are key elements in whether you are successful or not. I consider it a good day when I don't hook my guide/friend in the back!

Re: Casting Comments - Casting in the Wind [Re: kentuckytroutbum] #7418326 04/16/12 03:19 PM
G
George Glazener Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Originally Posted By: kentuckytroutbum
George-

Very good comment about wind and boats. Having fished the coastal flats numerous times, being able to cast in the wind, and having a guide who knows how to position the boat are key elements in whether you are successful or not. I consider it a good day when I don't hook my guide/friend in the back!

grin
The very best way to P**** off a guide or a fishin' buddy is to not pay attention to the boat position - I got chewed out really good one time for hitting my guide with a fly - best casting lesson I ever got!
Just takes experience to adjust your cast to conditions at hand!

Previously george 1

www.reelrecovery.org

Re: Casting Comments - Casting in the Wind [Re: George Glazener] #7418632 04/16/12 04:26 PM
K
kentuckytroutbum Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
Totally agree with you. You've got to be aware of whats behind you in your back cast. The guide is way up in the air, standing on his poling platform. Watch out for him.

My guide/friend likes for his clients to use a sidearm backcast, and come forward with an overhead front cast, shooting the line. Keeps the hook away from him and you!

Re: Casting Comments - Casting in the Wind [Re: kentuckytroutbum] #7418765 04/16/12 04:55 PM
G
George Glazener Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Originally Posted By: kentuckytroutbum
Totally agree with you. You've got to be aware of whats behind you in your back cast. The guide is way up in the air, standing on his poling platform. Watch out for him.

My guide/friend likes for his clients to use a sidearm backcast, and come forward with an overhead front cast, shooting the line. Keeps the hook away from him and you!

IIRC, that's the way Rex W. describes my casting stroke....
laugh

Previously george 1

www.reelrecovery.org

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide