Print Thread
Restocking a one acre pond #7363473 04/02/12 03:57 AM
A
aeb Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
I have a one acre pond in Callahan County that went dry last summer. It is now about 75% full and I need some suggestions on restocking. It is within walking distance of my hunter’s cabin and I would like for it to be a general purpose “fun” type of a pond for both the adults and kid/grandkids. We are developing one of the other larger ponds as a bass pond for the guys that like to get serious about fishing. This pond will be more of a casual fishing spot. One issue that I have with the pond at the present time is that it is pretty muddy. It is near a grain field and is getting a lot of traffic from my cattle. The wheat will soon be grazed out and the traffic at this pond will decrease but for the time being… muddy water.

Starting from scratch and I am open for suggestions. My lessees want some catfish in the pond. I realize that will add to my muddy water problem but these guys are paying my bills, so I need to keep them happy. Your thoughts?

Re: Restocking a one acre pond [Re: aeb] #7363564 04/02/12 04:34 AM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Catfish are cheap......

Fishbreeder

Re: Restocking a one acre pond [Re: aeb] #7363844 04/02/12 10:55 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
I like catfish ponds. My normal stocking recommendation for a less than one acre pond is channel cats, hybrid bluegills with some redear sunfish, fathead minnows and a feeder. As the cats are caught, replace them with 8 to 10 inch stockers. I would think about 150 cats, 200 hybrid gills, a couple of pounds of fatheads and 50 redears.

A couple of challenges are muddy water with very little phytoplankton and feeding the fish. A feeder and pellets increase your business costs. Keeping the cows away from the feeder can also be a pain in the butt.

Bluegills can be used but will spawn and overspawn. Cats can't control bluegills. If you have some shallow areas you might be able to seine enough to eliminate some of the gills.

Do you get any plant life in the pond when you have water and when the cows don't keep it muddy?

Re: Restocking a one acre pond [Re: Dave Davidson] #7365902 04/02/12 08:38 PM
M
Meadowlark Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
I like catfish ponds. My normal stocking recommendation for a less than one acre pond is channel cats, hybrid bluegills with some redear sunfish, fathead minnows and a feeder.

It must be snowing in Hades today? stir I never thought I would see the day when you recommended hybrid bluegills, Dave.

However, I wholeheartedly agree with you. They are the correct choice for small ponds in my experience. They are absolutely great entertainment....for young and old and in between. My hybrid bluegill pond (about 1/4 acre)dried up last summer and I've reloaded it with a fresh batch...but I don't have all the critics yelling at me this time around. By the way, I did not find any green sunfish, nor weird stunted fish when it dried up as predicted by many.

Lots of fun, those hybrid bluegills and not nearly as prone to overpopulating a small pond as the regular bluegill.

If the pond is between 1/2 to 1 acre, I think I would also put in a few bass for bluegill control. The cats would need some help probably in reducing the offspring of the 'gills. Also, personally I would stock the hybrid bluegills at a much higher rate, especially if you plan to feed them and the cats.

Re: Restocking a one acre pond [Re: aeb] #7368324 04/03/12 11:23 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
Larry, the more I learn about ponds, the more I am changing my ideas about traditional stocking. I've just seen too many bass heavy ponds. As you and I have discussed many times over the years, trying to eliminate conditioned runt bass is tough and stocking more forage is iffy.

If stocking bass in a cat pond, I would go the extra mile and make them same sex.

Thinking about it, I agree that more hybrids would work better.

Actually, I don't hesitate about stocking green sunfish. With only annual spawning I just don't see a problem and I love the way they fight. Purists won't agree but my experience tells me that they just aren't the problem that a lot of critics say they are.

To me, the whole key to a cat/hbg/res pond is a good feeder. The redears won't eat the feed and won't thrive in a muddy pond but I wouldn't stock a pond without them. If going for whopper cats, don't feed the higher protein food. It ruins their livers.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 04/03/12 11:26 AM.
Re: Restocking a one acre pond [Re: aeb] #7368499 04/03/12 01:00 PM
M
Meadowlark Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Agree, Dave. The green sunfish gets an undeserved bad rap. They are an exciting panfish, will hit almost anything, and fight like a banchee...but a poor forage producer for a bass pond.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide