Print Thread
La Pesca (Dolfin Docks) 36 hour trip? #7168731 02/14/12 01:26 AM
C
Capt. Kirk Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
C
Just signed up for a trip on the La Pesca on March 17th, the salesman said, "Its a Tuna Trip and they provide everything" Anyone been on the 36 hour trip? If so, What do I need to bring? Suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Re: La Pesca (Dolfin Docks) 36 hour trip? [Re: Capt. Kirk] #7169349 02/14/12 03:10 AM
O
Oldtrackster Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
Kirk I really hope you get some folks that have been on the boat recently replying here. Its been several years since I have been on their boats, but I would be willing to bet that they provide a 4/0 senator strapped to a short very heavy rod for bait fishing or chunking. You will probably like something different better, depending on the destination of the trip.

In the past they did not go to the floating platforms on 36 hour trips. A question to ask Dolphin Dock that would help people here give you advice is: Will this trip go to the floaters? If no then what do they plan to fish?

Can someone explain how the Feds count recreational Red Snapper catch?

"Pretty sure it involves a witch doctor, an astrologist, and a tub of KY jelly." - jamisjockey
Re: La Pesca (Dolfin Docks) 36 hour trip? [Re: Oldtrackster] #7169867 02/14/12 05:38 AM
F
fishinmachine Offline
Angler
Angler
F
I went on a 36 in November, we stopped for the night at the Falcon rig. Not sure if they'd have continued on to the floaters normally, but we had 10 to 12 foot seas on the way out and it was sloooow going. We caught a lot of blackfins and grouper and some nice AJs. First mate Kevin accidentally tossed his brand new Accurate Boss reel and rod overboard on its maiden voyage. He was, needless to say, a little down about that.

FM

Re: La Pesca (Dolfin Docks) 36 hour trip? [Re: Capt. Kirk] #7175037 02/15/12 03:47 PM
K
Kingfish1760 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
K
I've been out with DD on 60 hour tuna trips quite a few times since 2002. I've only done the 36 once and that was a year ago, so here is what I know from that experience.

First off, unless they know of tuna in close they will more than likely run to the closest floaters. That will be around 10 - 12 hours out and the same back, the La Pesca is not the fastest boat in the Port A fleet but she has nice bunks and a decent shower in the head below decks. The travel time eats up a lot of fishing time, however they will drag lines most of the day so you stand a pretty good chance of hooking up on the way out. The trick is to be the one standing near the line that chooses to go off. On the way out during the 36 hour trip I took we picked up a couple of nice hoos and had a few other hits. I've seen marlin, wahoo, dorado, bonito, and yellowfin taken while trolling on the way to the floaters. Once we got to the rig that night it was pretty non stop. I tore up the black fin and limited on yellowfin in a matter of a couple hours. All in all I would say the amount of time spent fishing during a 36 hour trip was a bit of a let down, however the quality of fishing for the price is tough to beat.

As far as what is supplied vs. what to bring... If you have your own equipment I would suggest bringing it. The standard boat rig is a boat rod with a Senator 4/0 in pretty well used condition. The stuff works, but when you lose a nice yellow to a nick in the line.... well it just chaps your hide a bit. They also have better equipment for rental there. As far as lures go I would say jigs, jigs, and more jigs. Diamond jigs as well as slab jigs. I usually go out with 4 plain chrome colored diamond jigs (2 4oz and 2 6oz) and then a wide assortment of the crippled herring jigs. No matter what is happening with the yellowfin bite, you should be able to slay the blackfin on these. Also large rattle traps really kill the blackfin. The problem is they aren't heavy so it takes lighter gear to throw them. A 20 lb blackfin on lighter gear is a hoot, but 80 lbs yellows also like rattle traps. Bring extra, I learned this the hard way. If you intend to fish bait then don't worry about terminal tackle, they supply all that and they have plenty.

Gotta get moving for now, hopefully this helps you out a bit.

Re: La Pesca (Dolfin Docks) 36 hour trip? [Re: Capt. Kirk] #7206836 02/23/12 04:26 PM
C
cocacola08 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Originally Posted By: Capt. Kirk
Just signed up for a trip on the La Pesca on March 17th, the salesman said, "Its a Tuna Trip and they provide everything" Anyone been on the 36 hour trip? If so, What do I need to bring? Suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Went on the 36hr the last two years out of dolphin docks in March.

2 years ago we had an amazing trip. We went out to the floaters and the boat caught well over 300 blackfin and a small wahoo, and nothing else.

Last year we were at the mercy of the wind, and couldn't go out to the floaters, we had a horrible trip, and I came home with an empty cooler, and a sore throat from being bent over the rail most of the trip. We would have been better off doing a half day trip. You really just have to hope for decent weather.

I probably won't go back to dolphin docks. The crew was great both times, but between the fuel charges and the condition of the boat itself if the fishing is not great it turns to be a bad experience. If diesel exhaust bothers you, I'd make sure you are upwind of the exhaust. Also, expect to pay fuel charge with the spike in prices (Probably $75ish). If they decide to not go to the big floaters they won't tell you until you've already pulled away from the docks.

Good luck.

Re: La Pesca (Dolfin Docks) 36 hour trip? [Re: cocacola08] #7230670 02/29/12 11:56 PM
J
Jhp3435 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I have looked into the 12 hour for Dolphin Docks, but I think it is a much better deal to go with Deep Sea Headquarters.
$120.00 for Dolphin Express, plus a fuel surcharge?
$110.00 for Deep Sea headquarters
Only around a 10 dollar difference, but since the Dolphin Express is slower, a 12 hr on the Gulf Eagle would also allow you a lot more fishing time.
A 12 hr on Dolphin Express would really be like a 10 1/2 hr due to the slow ride when compared to a 12 hr on the gulf eagle for example. So to me you get a lot more for your money by going with Deep Sea.
Just my opinion anyway.
I know this post is about the 36 hr, but I'm sure you also get a lot more fishing time with Deep Sea. The price is more with Deep Sea though on the tuna trips.

Last edited by Jhp3435; 03/01/12 12:46 AM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide