Page 1 of 2 1 2
56 hr tuna trip questions #7143119 02/07/12 08:13 PM
D
Double Digit Fishin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Do they supply rods and tackel on the trip ? How long does it take fishing grounds ? While they are driving can you troll for fish ? Do they clean the fish or would they let me clean it with some pointers ( i would like to clean my own ) ? Do they tag your fish or do they split all the fish at the end ? If u get lucky enough to get 3 yellow fin do u get to fish for different fish ? I'm thinking of going on the march 23 trip before it gets to hot . Thanks

Re: 56 hr tuna trip questions [Re: Double Digit Fishin] #7143279 02/07/12 09:09 PM
T
tunatamer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Do they supply rods and tackel on the trip ?

There is boat tackle you can use but you'd be better off with bringing something capable of catching YFT yourself.

How long does it take fishing grounds ?

It depends on the port, the boat and the destination but usually a minimum of 10 - 12 hours.

While they are driving can you troll for fish ?

Yes but it isn't done on a regular basis.

Do they clean the fish or would they let me clean it with some pointers ( i would like to clean my own ) ?

They have fish cleaners that charge something like 50 a pound. If you want to clean the fish I'm sure someone else on the trip can offer pointers.

Do they tag your fish or do they split all the fish at the end ?

Some boats will tag your fish and others expect you to bring colored zip ties to mark your own, but I have never seen them split the catch.

If u get lucky enough to get 3 yellow fin do u get to fish for different fish ?

If everyone gets three they will probably fish for other species . Most boats target YFT at night and bottom fish during the day if the time and location allows it. After getting three YFT you could target Blackfins.

I'm thinking of going on the march 23 trip before it gets to hot .

If we knew which boat then we could answer your questions more directly.

In March there is only something like 30 - 40% chance of catching the weather right for the trip to go IMO. To me the best time to go considering a combination of the weather and quality of fishing would be November and December.

Last edited by tunatamer; 02/07/12 09:11 PM.

"still" awesum
Re: 56 hr tuna trip questions [Re: tunatamer] #7143326 02/07/12 09:17 PM
TOO Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Nicely answered, Bobby J.
This should be a sticky for all rookies inquiring about the Scat Cat 56 hour tuna trips.

Re: 56 hr tuna trip questions [Re: Double Digit Fishin] #7143576 02/07/12 10:16 PM
D
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Dang u nailed it . Thanks for the Great info . And yes it was the Scat Cat . Thinking real strong about getting off the deer lease this year and spending my money on something different . I know how to clean fish but i never cleaned anything that big at T-wok the big ones go back . Just threw that in cause the rookie remark stung a little ( LOL ) . I went to Mexico few years back and caught a Sail Fish it was real cool but that was my younger days and only rember a little about Mexico . The boat i was on had all the tackel but i thought mabe it was for tourist . Again thank you for the info

Re: 56 hr tuna trip questions [Re: Double Digit Fishin] #7146508 02/08/12 04:04 PM
lite-liner Offline
Capt. CUDA
Capt. CUDA
Willie, you're right.
twice or three times a year these questions are asked
by those new or unfamiliar to this aspect of the sport.
Not that we don't like the conversation, grin but a sticky
like "tx tuna trips- what to bring, what to expect"would be a real asset to the offshore section.
shall I throw something together?

fish eater- Best way is to just jump on & wing it!
there's enough good people here to make you feel more than welcome & show you all the ropes without getting bound up!
these are the same guys that tricked me into this addiction almost 8 years ago!!!! LoL!! hammer
I'd bet for the cost of an AVERAGE east tx lease you could probably do
3 tuna runs a year from oct thru jan.

[Linked Image]
Re: 56 hr tuna trip questions [Re: Double Digit Fishin] #7146793 02/08/12 05:10 PM
O
Oldtrackster Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
If you catch 3 yellowfin and do not want to catch more (they will be donated to other less fortunate fishermen) there are the blackfin as mentioned. You can also run a flat line with a sardine and have a chance to catch a mahi, but it is not something you can count on.

Can someone explain how the Feds count recreational Red Snapper catch?

"Pretty sure it involves a witch doctor, an astrologist, and a tub of KY jelly." - jamisjockey
Re: 56 hr tuna trip questions [Re: Double Digit Fishin] #7147005 02/08/12 05:49 PM
D
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
I sure want a new thrill in life . I hear you about winging it sometimes its the best way . And sometimes I wish I was hunting in east Texas but I hunt the panhandle long drive but good deer . With gas and corn , mounting fees , processing fees , and not to mention I've killed my share its time to move on . I hope to go and fall in love with offshore fishin . Hopefully I don't ask to many stupid questions but I'm new so thanks again and thanks in advance

Re: 56 hr tuna trip questions [Re: Double Digit Fishin] #7147083 02/08/12 06:07 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline
aka "Dad"
aka "Dad"
Fisheater, tuna are relatively simple to clean. If you have a big catch, your cleaning bill could get hefty in a hurry ... so you might consider cultivating a friend on the trip who is willing to show you how to fillet tuna in exchange for a case of beer or something similar.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: 56 hr tuna trip questions [Re: Double Digit Fishin] #7147478 02/08/12 07:33 PM
O
Oldtrackster Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
These guys will help out with questions, so don't worry about stupid questions. If you spend time here asking questions and reading you will increase your learning curve exponentially and enjoy your early trips more.

Can someone explain how the Feds count recreational Red Snapper catch?

"Pretty sure it involves a witch doctor, an astrologist, and a tub of KY jelly." - jamisjockey
Re: 56 hr tuna trip questions [Re: lite-liner] #7148099 02/08/12 10:00 PM
TOO Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: lite-liner
Willie, you're right.
twice or three times a year these questions are asked
by those new or unfamiliar to this aspect of the sport.
Not that we don't like the conversation, grin but a sticky
like "tx tuna trips- what to bring, what to expect"would be a real asset to the offshore section.
shall I throw something together?

fish eater- Best way is to just jump on & wing it!
there's enough good people here to make you feel more than welcome & show you all the ropes without getting bound up!
these are the same guys that tricked me into this addiction almost 8 years ago!!!! LoL!! hammer
I'd bet for the cost of an AVERAGE east tx lease you could probably do
3 tuna runs a year from oct thru jan.

LL, that would be a great asset to the offshore section.
I'd go so far as to suggest one for each party boat that does tuna trips. Galveston and Port Aransas areas. Each dock does things differently.
It would be great if more new guys would do some research and post specific questions like F.E. did instead of general questions. But it is a public forum and folks can ask whatever they want.

F.E. the best time to go fishing is when you can, but read LL's last 4 words. I'll extend it to February if the seas are not too nasty, but that's prime time for YFT.
You can do well other times of the years, but those 4-5 months put the odds best in your favor.

Re: 56 hr tuna trip questions [Re: Oldtrackster] #7148106 02/08/12 10:02 PM
TOO Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Oldtrackster
These guys will help out with questions, so don't worry about stupid questions.

Worry when we (TOO) asks stupid questions!

Re: 56 hr tuna trip questions [Re: Double Digit Fishin] #7149063 02/09/12 01:49 AM
D
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
What happen's if the sea is to rough and they call the trip off . Do they let u know a few days in advance so u don't drive down ? I rember last spring on T-wok and it was windy dang near everyday . I still went out but it was rough i can only imagane the ocean . Also how is the weather in Nov. and Dec . Temp wise ? Do the cold fronts push down that far ?

Re: 56 hr tuna trip questions [Re: Double Digit Fishin] #7151522 02/09/12 05:38 PM
T
tunatamer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
What happen's if the sea is to rough and they call the trip off . Do they let u know a few days in advance so u don't drive down ?

They try to. They watch the forecast and will usually make a call about 2 days beforehand. Often the trip may only get pushed back a day or so and for that reason it's a good idea for participants to plan accordingly

Also how is the weather in Nov. and Dec . Temp wise ? Do the cold fronts push down that far ?

Cold fronts do push through down here in November and December but it's still fairly mild. I still carry shorts to fish in but bring heavier clothing. There is probably a 75% chance of getting out in November and slightly less in December.

I try to plan all of my floater trips between November 1 and December 15.

"still" awesum
Re: 56 hr tuna trip questions [Re: Double Digit Fishin] #7166967 02/13/12 06:15 PM
D
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
One more question .... If you are successful on the trip and you get some tuna how well does it store in the freezer ? Not sure if i need to plan one h ell of a fish fry or space it out . Thanks

Re: 56 hr tuna trip questions [Re: Double Digit Fishin] #7167200 02/13/12 07:00 PM
lite-liner Offline
Capt. CUDA
Capt. CUDA
it really depends on what happens to the fish from the moment it comes on board.
1.) bleed the fish well, then into the ice slurry
2.) NEVER EVER let fresh water touch the meat
3.) vacuum-seal if at all possible

this should provide nice, delectable,tuna steaks that are
still appetizing to look at up to about 3 months.
after that its great in salads,tacos,casseroles..
tuna does not keep very long, so its really up to the individual

I usually only keep 1 good YFT, although the limit is 3 per trip
the additional 20-40# of prime meat just wastes in the freezer,
so I let em swim till I need another one! smile

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide