Forums59
Topics1,039,391
Posts13,963,811
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7113427 01/31/12 03:21 PM
Duck_Jerky Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Foot control...it's like the DVR feature on your satellite...you'll wonder how you ever did without it wink

Brian Carter
Pro Staff
B'n'M Poles - www.bnmpoles.com - Quality Rods For Over 60 Years
War Eagle Boats - www.wareagleboats.com - Built for hunters who love to fish!

Videos
www.youtube.com/BnMFishingPoles - YouTube Channel
Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7113675 01/31/12 04:20 PM
ERNEST PATY Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
It's an endless debate. I've had both and have my own likes and dislikes on all types.

Personally if someone gave me the best foot controlled unit this morning I would have it on E-BAY before dark. Same for wireless.

Hand controlled (With the proper handle) and foot on/off switch is the only way to go.

I sit to fish most of the time now and using the hand controll and foot switches is a lot less tiring.

I also don't spider rig much (at all) so that might make a difference but I doubt it.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by ERNEST PATY; 01/31/12 04:22 PM.

Ernest Paty 214-202-7866
catchcrappie@aol.com

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7113715 01/31/12 04:30 PM
Laner Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I feel foot controlled is the best way to go. It takes a little longer to learn, but with time your muscle memory will kick in, and you will combat the wind/current without thinking.

The foot contol also gives you the ability to go hands free. What I like about this is that it allows you to not only to have more rod control, but to remain more steadily poised.

Check Out The New Website!!!

TCU Alumni class of 2009

Owner/Operator Ft. Worth's Premiere Guide Service: www.ftworthfishing.com
817-266-9811

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7113793 01/31/12 04:45 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
I like foot control. It's nice having both hands free to fish.

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: ERNEST PATY] #7114006 01/31/12 05:29 PM
B
Bud B Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: ERNEST PATY
I sit to fish most of the time now and using the hand controll and foot switches is a lot less tiring.

That's a good point. Whether you sit or stand may make a difference in what you like best. When I made the switch from mostly bass fishing to mostly crappie fishing, I made the switch from standing up to sitting in a regular seat, thinking it would be easier on my cratered back. I was completely wrong, and went back to standing.

One foot on the boat deck, one foot on a bolted down trolling motor pedal, and leaning against a stand-up style seat is what works best for me. I step off the pedal and away from the seat often, to keep changing things up for my back, and can fish lots of hours without a problem.

Bud Baker
Gun Barrel City, Tx

[Linked Image]
Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7114136 01/31/12 05:59 PM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Foot control for me. I used had control the first 15 yrs I fished cause that's all I could afford. After the first foot control, I've never owned a hand control since. Most people, when they get their first foot control, make the mistake of keeping their foot control motor "on" all the time. You only need to bump it on in the proper direction to hold the boat. After a little use, you can tell which way the motor is going to push the front end by the position of the pedal; you won't have to look down. I can operate the foot control and never have to look at the troll motor or foot control; eyes on the line and rod tip all the time. You get that long handle on the hand control and stopping the boat as you move forward thru timber can be a pain trying to swing the handle all the way to the front. Using the reverse function takes your eye and concentration off the rod.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7114234 01/31/12 06:20 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
I have had both. Foot is the only way to go. Once you learn to operate it you wont have to think about it, your boat will just go where you want it to.

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7115220 01/31/12 10:38 PM
M
Mo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
I use the same controls as Ernest , hand steering with
foot off and on. My neighbor has foot contol and I have
almost thrown myself off the boat on more than one occasion.

I would like to see Ipilot and spot lock in action over
a small brush pile.

MO

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile
Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7115498 01/31/12 11:50 PM
T
Texas Guide Fishing - Mark Parker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Go with Minn Kota Terrova with I-Pilot ,

Ive always been a foot control guy going back to the 1960s its 2nd nature to me.

But the I-Pilot offers more the ability to walk away from the trolling motor and set it on Spot-Lock, which works like an electronic anchor.

Also it has abilities to follow trials (via GPS) or set a direction via GPS and it follows the course regardless of the wind direction changes (via a remote - from any where with in the boat).

This is were Trolling Motors are going, (Its kind of like Side Image depth finders thats where its all going and thats where its at)

If you are not keeping up with the technology curve, then you are probably still using a flasher or maybe simply a rock tied to a rope as your depth finder. If so then what are you doing reading this via your computer?

Stay up with Technology,

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7115722 02/01/12 12:40 AM
J
Jeff Schiller Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
J
Foot control.
But you better like standing on one leg. I lean against my seat and don't sit.
Your leg(s) will get tired but after you get used to it, you can seamlessly fish while running the trolling motor.

If you get a digital foot control, you will have to look to see where the head is pointed to know which direction you are pointing. The cable drive motors, you will learn where it's pointed based on how your foot is positioned. Completely hands/eyes free.

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Jeff Schiller] #7115845 02/01/12 01:06 AM
Bobcat1 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I've hand control, remote control and foot control. Foot control all the way. I sit a lot while fishing but I know for a fact Guy Skinner stands all day and uses a foot control. My knees just won't tolerate standing all day especially with all the excess tonage I have. As others have mentioned the cable drive on foot control has a fast response time. The remote control is a mechanical head and reacts too slow for my taste around trees and bridge columns. Hand control requires on hand to steer and a foot to power it on. Again Foot Control all the way.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Texas Guide Fishing - Mark Parker] #7115880 02/01/12 01:13 AM
el Rojo Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Texas Guide Fishing - Mark Parker
Go with Minn Kota Terrova with I-Pilot ,

Ive always been a foot control guy going back to the 1960s its 2nd nature to me.

But the I-Pilot offers more the ability to walk away from the trolling motor and set it on Spot-Lock, which works like an electronic anchor.

+1
Also it has abilities to follow trials (via GPS) or set a direction via GPS and it follows the course regardless of the wind direction changes (via a remote - from any where with in the boat).

This is were Trolling Motors are going, (Its kind of like Side Image depth finders thats where its all going and thats where its at)

If you are not keeping up with the technology curve, then you are probably still using a flasher or maybe simply a rock tied to a rope as your depth finder. If so then what are you doing reading this via your computer?

Stay up with Technology,

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7115927 02/01/12 01:23 AM
S
Sac-lait-Pat Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I use a foot controlled mainly because I stand up mostly all the time fishing for hours at a time and usuallay a pole in each hand one foot on the trollong motor and the other foot on the net really,a balancing act it get to be second nature.

Pat-T
Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7117010 02/01/12 06:45 AM
G
Grainraiser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
I tried foot control units but once I used a hand control I was hooked. I have a big foot switch on mines and simply bump it when I want to stay on a brushpile. My boat is a 17 footer and I found the foot control took up to much space. I do most of my fishing standing up so it was a no brainer for me.

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7117052 02/01/12 08:36 AM
L
lakesteak123 Offline
Angler
Angler
L
I have hand control with a bigfoot switch also. I also don't just fish crappie. All i can say is hit a wave where the trolling motor comes out of the water using a foot control........sitting or standing you had better have very good balance and reflexes or you might go for a swim!!!! Also if you have a small front deck and room is and issue a hand control is gonna take up less space. You also mentioned you have a knee problem.....how long could you stand with your foot on and empty shoe box without crushing the box?? That's kinda what driving a foot control was like for me. Just my .02$

it's the crapy days that make the good days that much better!!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide