Texas Fishing Forum

Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor

Posted By: Wylie Crappieman

Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 12:12 PM

I am looking at putting me a boat together and want some opinion. I know which way I am leaning, but could use some input before I spend the cash. I've been on other people's boat and have found the foot control to be like riding a bull and a beating. However, I'm not convinced that was the best situation either. The boat is a tracker tx17 with a 70hp. It's older, but been stored correctly. I'll be replacing the TM and electronics. Soooo.. input please.

Posted By: Tony Clark @ Lake Fork

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 12:24 PM

Foot control for me,great for fishing bridge pylons & docks!

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 12:46 PM

Thanks, Tony.. As someone I have admired for a long time, I respect your opinion. Any others? Is there a dual type system where it is not only foot controlled, but optionally hand controlled for quick adjustment?

Posted By: Creamlevel Creek Kennels

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 12:55 PM

I also am a Foot Contol Fan. I always have pleny of things for my hands to be doing. A foot control requires some learning, but once you have spent some time learning to control your boat, you can be very SMOOTH with it's operation. Like you I bought an older Tracker, that had the foot control, so I have had to learn what was there. At first I was all over a Brush Pile, not being able to hold steady over the pile. Fishing Timber, I was ALWAYS crashing into the tree we were trying to fish. Don't catch to many fish that way.

But, after owning my boat for 1 year now, I can hover over a Brush Pile with the ability to vertically fish, without hanging up, ease up to Timber and never touch the tree, but remain close enough fish right down the tree.

I guess it is ALL about learning to CONTOL your boat with whatever Trolling Motor you have. Seens that it would be more difficult to hover over Brush Piles with a Hand Operated Trolling Motor. Requires 2 hands to fish for Crappie, and I don't have a spare on to operate trolling motor.

keith

Posted By: pepop

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 01:24 PM

I too am a foot control guy but I have heard several reports that "No Hands/No Feet" is the way to go. I-Piolt if you can afford it, allows you to "dial in" a spot via gps coords and the TM is supposed to "lock" on to that spot. As I said, I've heard several reports and not all good but the positive comments are in the majority. My 2cents

Posted By: gborg

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 01:28 PM

I've had both more of the foot control than the hand.15 yrs with the foot and a whole lot less with the hand. Everything has pros and cons. Quick response to turns and emergency, the foot control out performs, when the need to slow down quick the hand control. As has been stated above boat control via tm can b nothing more than u. I have a hard time bending over to change speeds on the foot control and unless the foot control itself is n the floor of the boat it seems to b one more thing n the way up front. Just my .02 worth.

Posted By: big10

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 01:37 PM

I have used both and dont think I will ever go back to a hand control again. Like creamlevel said, I need 2 hands for crappie fishing. It was a major pain to try to fish a brush pile, timber, or a bridge. Every time I had to do something in the boat such as put a crappie nibble on my jig, take a fish off the hook, or re-tie I found myself getting blown off the brushpile. Basicly I found the only way to fish was to ease up onto the pile, make a drop with the jig when I was over it, and hope you get bit quick. People fishing with me got frustrated because if I got bit before them we would blow off the pile while I was unhooking the fish and re-tipping my jig while they were left floating in open water. Also when I had the hand controlled I never fished with minnows. I felt it would be even more of a pain to try to keep my hook baited while operating a hand controlled trolling motor. Just my 2cents

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 01:41 PM

Can it be done both ways? I think Ernests is hand controled as far as direction but button controlled for power?

Posted By: Fillet O' Crappie

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 01:43 PM

There are many advantages to a foot controlled one. That being said, I find it easier to use a hand controlled one. I like standing up to fish and find it easier to do with my hand controlled one. When I owned a foot one, I caught myself sitting down way too often.

And yes, you can have a little of both. I have a big foot button on my hand controlled. I just bump the direction I want to head to on the head and then hit the button with my foot to get where I need to go. Staying on brush piles is easy enough too and I really don't have my hands on my trolling motor much. I just bump it occasionally to redirect it.

Posted By: craigo

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 02:21 PM

Wylie, always enjoy your posts. I use a wireless foot controlled pedal and I love it. Truth is, it's the only one I've ever used (first boat). It was awkward at first, but once I got used to it I love it. I think it's all a matter of getting used to whatever you use. SOme foot guys will swear that's best... some hand guys will swear that's the best. Pros and cons for each, I suppose. Good luck out there...

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 02:25 PM

Thanks Craig.. I haven't had a boat in years, but having some knee problems it looks like I have to make a move. I think I will go with the foot controlled for most of the reasons mentioned above. Just wanted to get some input from guys who have been at it. I want to get it right the 1st time.

Posted By: Brent's Dad

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 02:51 PM

For me it depends upon your style of fishing. If you sit when fishing, I would recommend a foot control unit. I like standing since it gives me more flexibility and better site of view. Hand control eliminates cable breakage that can become a factor on foot control units. On hand control units, I control on and off power via a dimmer switch. You can mount the dimmer swith permanent or on a board that allows you to move it to a desired location. As I get older (61 now), I am finding it more difficult to stand for a full day of fishing and my balance is not as good as it was years prior. Over time I can see myself having to go to a foot control unit. For now I will continue to use a hand unit, until I move to sitting and a foot unit.

Posted By: Bud B

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 02:56 PM

This is one of those unending debates. I've always preferred a foot control, and never understood, while watching people swat at a hand control while they're trying to fish. My .02.

Posted By: leanin post

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 03:09 PM

The foot control cable driven is very good,, it will feel like learning to walk again the first couple times you use it, until your brain makes that connection with your foot, but once it does, you wont even think abt it, it will almost be like auto-p ilot, even though you are controlling it, and making constant turns with your foot, and bumping the power button. after some time with it, you will be able to work the boat around timber or bridge pilings almost effortlessly. Its pretty amazing. I like the cable drive, because even though some are " wireless" there is still a large pigtail wire on the motor that seems to be constantly getting tangled up, and twisting,... the cable drive wont go past a 360 degree turn, so no worries abt a wire being yanked out of the trolling motor. cable drive is also instant response, the wireless have a little delay, and cable drive has ALOT less stuff that can go wrong. Try a minn kota maxxum in the 70 to 80 lb thrust range, tough , simple, powerful, dependable.

Posted By: Buzzard Breath

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 03:12 PM

remote control, fish from anywhere in the boat.

Posted By: Duck_Jerky

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 03:21 PM

Foot control...it's like the DVR feature on your satellite...you'll wonder how you ever did without it wink

Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 04:20 PM

It's an endless debate. I've had both and have my own likes and dislikes on all types.

Personally if someone gave me the best foot controlled unit this morning I would have it on E-BAY before dark. Same for wireless.

Hand controlled (With the proper handle) and foot on/off switch is the only way to go.

I sit to fish most of the time now and using the hand controll and foot switches is a lot less tiring.

I also don't spider rig much (at all) so that might make a difference but I doubt it.

Just my opinion.

Posted By: Laner

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 04:30 PM

I feel foot controlled is the best way to go. It takes a little longer to learn, but with time your muscle memory will kick in, and you will combat the wind/current without thinking.

The foot contol also gives you the ability to go hands free. What I like about this is that it allows you to not only to have more rod control, but to remain more steadily poised.

Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 04:45 PM

I like foot control. It's nice having both hands free to fish.

Posted By: Bud B

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: ERNEST PATY
I sit to fish most of the time now and using the hand controll and foot switches is a lot less tiring.

That's a good point. Whether you sit or stand may make a difference in what you like best. When I made the switch from mostly bass fishing to mostly crappie fishing, I made the switch from standing up to sitting in a regular seat, thinking it would be easier on my cratered back. I was completely wrong, and went back to standing.

One foot on the boat deck, one foot on a bolted down trolling motor pedal, and leaning against a stand-up style seat is what works best for me. I step off the pedal and away from the seat often, to keep changing things up for my back, and can fish lots of hours without a problem.

Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 05:59 PM

Foot control for me. I used had control the first 15 yrs I fished cause that's all I could afford. After the first foot control, I've never owned a hand control since. Most people, when they get their first foot control, make the mistake of keeping their foot control motor "on" all the time. You only need to bump it on in the proper direction to hold the boat. After a little use, you can tell which way the motor is going to push the front end by the position of the pedal; you won't have to look down. I can operate the foot control and never have to look at the troll motor or foot control; eyes on the line and rod tip all the time. You get that long handle on the hand control and stopping the boat as you move forward thru timber can be a pain trying to swing the handle all the way to the front. Using the reverse function takes your eye and concentration off the rod.

Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 06:20 PM

I have had both. Foot is the only way to go. Once you learn to operate it you wont have to think about it, your boat will just go where you want it to.

Posted By: Mo

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 10:38 PM

I use the same controls as Ernest , hand steering with
foot off and on. My neighbor has foot contol and I have
almost thrown myself off the boat on more than one occasion.

I would like to see Ipilot and spot lock in action over
a small brush pile.

MO

Posted By: Texas Guide Fishing - Mark Parker

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 01/31/12 11:50 PM

Go with Minn Kota Terrova – with I-Pilot ,

I’ve always been a foot control guy – going back to the 1960’s – it’s 2nd nature to me.

But the I-Pilot offers more – the ability to walk away from the trolling motor and set it on Spot-Lock, which works like an electronic anchor.

Also it has abilities to follow trials (via GPS) or set a direction via GPS and it follows the course regardless of the wind direction changes (via a remote - from any where with in the boat).

This is were Trolling Motors are going, (It’s kind of like Side Image depth finders – that’s where it’s all going and that’s where its at)

If you are not keeping up with the technology curve, then you are probably still using a flasher or maybe simply a rock tied to a rope as your depth finder. If so then what are you doing reading this via your computer?

Stay up with Technology,

Posted By: Jeff Schiller

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 02/01/12 12:40 AM

Foot control.
But you better like standing on one leg. I lean against my seat and don't sit.
Your leg(s) will get tired but after you get used to it, you can seamlessly fish while running the trolling motor.

If you get a digital foot control, you will have to look to see where the head is pointed to know which direction you are pointing. The cable drive motors, you will learn where it's pointed based on how your foot is positioned. Completely hands/eyes free.

Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 02/01/12 01:06 AM

I've hand control, remote control and foot control. Foot control all the way. I sit a lot while fishing but I know for a fact Guy Skinner stands all day and uses a foot control. My knees just won't tolerate standing all day especially with all the excess tonage I have. As others have mentioned the cable drive on foot control has a fast response time. The remote control is a mechanical head and reacts too slow for my taste around trees and bridge columns. Hand control requires on hand to steer and a foot to power it on. Again Foot Control all the way.

Posted By: el Rojo

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 02/01/12 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Guide Fishing - Mark Parker
Go with Minn Kota Terrova – with I-Pilot ,

I’ve always been a foot control guy – going back to the 1960’s – it’s 2nd nature to me.

But the I-Pilot offers more – the ability to walk away from the trolling motor and set it on Spot-Lock, which works like an electronic anchor.

+1
Also it has abilities to follow trials (via GPS) or set a direction via GPS and it follows the course regardless of the wind direction changes (via a remote - from any where with in the boat).

This is were Trolling Motors are going, (It’s kind of like Side Image depth finders – that’s where it’s all going and that’s where its at)

If you are not keeping up with the technology curve, then you are probably still using a flasher or maybe simply a rock tied to a rope as your depth finder. If so then what are you doing reading this via your computer?

Stay up with Technology,

Posted By: Sac-lait-Pat

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 02/01/12 01:23 AM

I use a foot controlled mainly because I stand up mostly all the time fishing for hours at a time and usuallay a pole in each hand one foot on the trollong motor and the other foot on the net really,a balancing act it get to be second nature.

Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 02/01/12 06:45 AM

I tried foot control units but once I used a hand control I was hooked. I have a big foot switch on mines and simply bump it when I want to stay on a brushpile. My boat is a 17 footer and I found the foot control took up to much space. I do most of my fishing standing up so it was a no brainer for me.

Posted By: lakesteak123

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 02/01/12 08:36 AM

I have hand control with a bigfoot switch also. I also don't just fish crappie. All i can say is hit a wave where the trolling motor comes out of the water using a foot control........sitting or standing you had better have very good balance and reflexes or you might go for a swim!!!! Also if you have a small front deck and room is and issue a hand control is gonna take up less space. You also mentioned you have a knee problem.....how long could you stand with your foot on and empty shoe box without crushing the box?? That's kinda what driving a foot control was like for me. Just my .02$

Posted By: OkieBob

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 02/01/12 01:42 PM

I have to disagree with the post regarding the iPilot and Spotlock. Fishing brush piles with Spotlock is a joke. It is supposed to keep you within a 10' diameter circle of the 'spot'. I've been using it for two years now and there is no way it will even come close. So, you then have to use the remote control and it hangs around my neck and I'm constantly grabbing it and correcting the location I'm trying to hold on. There is no wireless foot control for the model I have or I would have one. I bought one that plainly stated in big letters that it was especially for my model only to find out from the factory that it doesn't! Got my money back but, now I'm stuck with an overpriced TM that is almost useless for what I need. I can go to a wired foot control but, then why waste the $300 or so it cost to put on. If you want to try this out, I'll be happy to take you out and if you like it, I'll make you a good deal on it.

Posted By: Buzzard Breath

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 02/01/12 01:46 PM

I'm perfecting a mind control TM, should be on the market by 2025.

Posted By: anthonyhicks101

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 02/01/12 02:46 PM

I've never owned a boat that wasn't foot controlled. Having said that, I LOVE when I'm on someone else's boat and they have hand controlled.....go figure.
Gras always seems greener on the other side.

Posted By: karpbuster

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 02/01/12 05:22 PM

In bad wind I like my tiller and I have used a foot control on other boats and get use to them pretty quick, not much wind works fine. I have a MK Copilot and its foot control is useless, so I use the remote control on my wrist and that works OK too.

So ??? every fish an iPilot?

By the way I have a Minnkota AP/Copilot on the bow and a Minnkota Vector 3x on the transom. I have a tiller big motor, so staying in the back and using the tiller TM works best for me. My electronics are there, etc. But if trolling the AP on the bow is set for a course and away we go.

Posted By: crappiejigmaster

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 02/01/12 10:13 PM

I've got an i-pilot wireless and just love the spot lock feature. It works great for trolling the pylons too.

Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 02/02/12 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: OkieBob
I have to disagree with the post regarding the iPilot and Spotlock. Fishing brush piles with Spotlock is a joke. It is supposed to keep you within a 10' diameter circle of the 'spot'. I've been using it for two years now and there is no way it will even come close. So, you then have to use the remote control and it hangs around my neck and I'm constantly grabbing it and correcting the location I'm trying to hold on. There is no wireless foot control for the model I have or I would have one. I bought one that plainly stated in big letters that it was especially for my model only to find out from the factory that it doesn't! Got my money back but, now I'm stuck with an overpriced TM that is almost useless for what I need. I can go to a wired foot control but, then why waste the $300 or so it cost to put on. If you want to try this out, I'll be happy to take you out and if you like it, I'll make you a good deal on it.
I had one too and can attest to the fact you can't stay on a brushpile. You can stay around it but you are constantly swimming your jig. Sometimes it is great but when the crappie want it dead still it is worthless. Usually there is a sweet spot on a pile and it is impossible to stay on it with spot lock. The trolling motor with I-Pilot would be great for sand bass, hybrids or stripers I guess. The foot control was awful too and the head was slow to react because it is mechnical. I would say foot control then hand control and never a remote control mechanical head trolling motor.

Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 02/02/12 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: fishin'aholic2
I like foot control. It's nice having both hands free to fish.

thumb

Posted By: lipripper1

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 02/02/12 03:48 AM

Foot control could be tough on your knee just thinking.

Posted By: Rangerbobtx

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 02/02/12 04:39 AM

I fished hand controls with a bigfoot type switch for over 30yrs. but when I got serious about crappie I switched to foot control. Started out with a motorguide and hated it, then switched over to a MinnKota Maxxim and became an instant convert. I was surprised at how quickly I was able to adjust to using the foot control with the MK. The foot control allows you to be much more precise in boat placement when holding over brush or shooting docks, especially in the wind.

Steve

Posted By: Mo

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 02/02/12 08:31 PM

I think you should go with the way you are leaning.

Most fisherman I know only like one kind of control, they are not going
to change thier minds.

the best system is fishing behind someone who runs the TM. I fish by my self
99% of the time. It was a treat last Sunday to just fish and let someone
else run the motor.

MO

Posted By: KS374

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 02/02/12 08:45 PM

love the hand control on my center console. got it set up with a big foot foot switch. basically gives you the great easy maneuverability of a hand controlled trolling motor but with the great part of having the foot switch for the power; essentially it gives you a hybrid of foot and hand control

Posted By: Rangerbobtx

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor - 02/03/12 04:53 AM

Try fishing a hand control in the wind with a rod in each hand. Then you will understand the value of a good foot control.

Steve

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum