D

Re: Rollover Pass news [Re: DickyT] #6929219 12/11/11 03:41 AM
R
Red Fisherman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Here's the Houston Chronicle version.

http://www.chron.com/default/article/1-000-foot-pier-proposed-at-Rollover-Pass-2393424.php

I like the other version better as it has two piers being built.

I'm always catch and release, except for cut bait.
Re: Rollover Pass news [Re: DickyT] #6936160 12/13/11 04:10 AM
N
Nick220722 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
I don't mind this as long as they patrol and enforce regulations on the pier. At 1000 ft out a lot of bull reds will be caught and I will lose a kayak fishing spot. But there's plenty in that area.

PB Buff - 56lbs
PB Common - 26lbs
PB Mirror - 7lbs
PB Grasser - 45lbs
PB Koi - 10lbs

Re: Rollover Pass news [Re: DickyT] #6936410 12/13/11 10:36 AM
F
fishin redneck Offline
Angler
Angler
F
It won't be a 1000 ft out ,it's a T pier. Probably 500 out then a T .
I hate to see the pass go but I'm looking forward to this new pier .

fish fish fish fish
Re: Rollover Pass news [Re: fishin redneck] #6937676 12/13/11 06:38 PM
J
Jean Scurtu Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
I like to fish at ROLLOVER PASS ,not to fish on the pier.I am disable ,problem with my legs,so is not easy for my to take my fishing tackle on the pier.I am fishing just with artificial bait.
Why to close ROLLOVER PASS and not to built some jetty like North and South jetty ,or like the jetty from Galveston,so the erosion of the beach are minimum.

For 50 years ROLLOVER PASS make happy many fishermens with minimum erosion of the beach,why just now after the huricane IKE start the idea to close the pass.
Not the pass distroy the beach,Ike do this.

I love ROLLOVER PASS and if is close i don't have another place to fish(i don't have boat and money to buy) .Why to drive 2 hours from Houston to fish on the pier,when i can find pier in Galveston to fish.But i don't like to fish on the pier.

For me the best place to fish is ROLLOVER PASS .When i was younger i have fishing in many places,but from 2003 (when i find this place) i was fishing on the bank just at ROLLOVER PASS.

I hope nobody close ROLLOVER PASS("dum spiro,spero")....

Last edited by Jean Scurtu; 12/13/11 06:41 PM.

Jean Scurtu

"BORN TO FISH,FORCED TO WORK"
Re: Rollover Pass news [Re: DickyT] #6938274 12/13/11 09:28 PM
B
BrettB Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
They can't build jetties?

Seems if they close in the Pass the fishing will decline drastically. Think of all the fish populations that have used that Pass to get in and out of breeding grounds for years now. Current flow, saline levels, tide heights, all that is going to be effected by closing the Pass and quite frankly they have no clue how the ecosystems will react. This goes beyond fishing, seems there's more to be looked at

Re: Rollover Pass news [Re: DickyT] #6940034 12/14/11 02:08 PM
T
TroutSupport.com Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Its kinda sad... if the close in the pass... all your doing is fishing the beach.... so they'll spend millions to fund a pier that will be out in the middle of no where and that probably won't get used after a couple years because fishing won't be good enough to go all the way over there.. why can't the build the pier behind the north jetty so you could fish the jetty with out almost killing yourself to get way out there..

You'd think they could think a LITTLE... please.

110% Money Back Guarantee -Tons of Testimonials!

Speckled Trout/Redfish Instruction & DVD's - FREE Preview

Like us on Facebook
Re: Rollover Pass news [Re: TroutSupport.com] #6941121 12/14/11 07:12 PM
J
Jean Scurtu Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Originally Posted By: TroutSupport.com
Its kinda sad... if the close in the pass... all your doing is fishing the beach.... so they'll spend millions to fund a pier that will be out in the middle of no where and that probably won't get used after a couple years because fishing won't be good enough to go all the way over there.. why can't the build the pier behind the north jetty so you could fish the jetty with out almost killing yourself to get way out there..

I agree with "TroutSupport.com".

Jean Scurtu

Re: Rollover Pass news [Re: Jean Scurtu] #6976500 12/26/11 12:53 AM
R
Red Fisherman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted By: Jean Scurtu
I like to fish at ROLLOVER PASS ,not to fish on the pier.I am disable ,problem with my legs,so is not easy for my to take my fishing tackle on the pier.

Jean, you may consider trying Galveston Fishing Pier (90th and Seawall). My wife has diabetic neuropathy and has problems with her legs. If you park on the seawall, it's just a short walk to the shops. This is a nice place (you can even eat there as they will bring food downstairs from the cafe upstairs) and you can sit down a few minutes before making another short walk to the pier and select you a spot.

When I take the wife fishing, no more long walks for us like at Seawolf and 61st piers.

http://www.facebook.com/GalvestonFishingPier

Good luck.

I'm always catch and release, except for cut bait.
Re: Rollover Pass news [Re: DickyT] #6977270 12/26/11 01:43 PM
P
Pferox Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
From what I understand, it is one of the last of the free places shore bound people can fish.

I'll lay odds that those two new piers won't be free to access.

Sounds to me like somebody is making money at the angler's expense with the state's assistance. Sorry, this is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Duct tape is like the Force, it has a Dark Side, A Light Side, and holds the Universe together. Carl Zwanzig
www.mtpocketstackle.com
www.facebook.com/MtPocketsTackleCompany
Re: Rollover Pass news [Re: Red Fisherman] #6977899 12/26/11 07:59 PM
J
Jean Scurtu Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Red Fisherman
Originally Posted By: Jean Scurtu
I like to fish at ROLLOVER PASS ,not to fish on the pier.I am disable ,problem with my legs,so is not easy for my to take my fishing tackle on the pier.

Jean, you may consider trying Galveston Fishing Pier (90th and Seawall). My wife has diabetic neuropathy and has problems with her legs. If you park on the seawall, it's just a short walk to the shops. This is a nice place (you can even eat there as they will bring food downstairs from the cafe upstairs) and you can sit down a few minutes before making another short walk to the pier and select you a spot.

When I take the wife fishing, no more long walks for us like at Seawolf and 61st piers.

http://www.facebook.com/GalvestonFishingPier

Good luck.

Before i have discover ROLLOVER PASS(in 2003)i was fishing in Galveston on the jetty,Flag Ship pier,61st. pier,SAN LUIS PASS,NORTH JETTY,SEA WOLF PARK,BUT NO PLACE YOU CAN COMPARE WITH ROLLOVER PASS .That time i don't have problem with my legs.
I was fishing to at TEXAS DIKE,SURFSIDE JETTY,but the best place stil ROLLOVER PASS.
I already tell i don't like to fish on the pier and now having problem with my legs i can't take my tackle and ice box on the pier.
I am fishing just with artificials,and the majority on the pier are fishing on the bottom with thick line,and if i catch some fish the people comming in my spot.I don't like to fish for red fish,i like to fish for speckled trout,flounder.

ROLLOVER PASS is the best place to fish in Texas ,IMO IF YOU DON'T WADE AND FISH ON THE BANK.

Jean Scurtu

Re: Rollover Pass news [Re: TroutSupport.com] #6979091 12/27/11 03:46 AM
H
Herbert77060 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
As my great aunt use to say.....it is too much like right.

Originally Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Herbert77060

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln

Re: Rollover Pass news [Re: Jean Scurtu] #7016031 01/06/12 01:31 AM
F
FrostyTexas Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F
Jean, well said, I hear similar stories often, and it is good to hear people talk well of the Pass, It is old and worn our, but very fixable and I think with help from the fisherman that use the pass we can make it the jewel it used to be. Be sure to comment on the GLO's pier Plan you can link it from our website www.rolloverpasstexas.com

The Deadline is Jan 9th.

Ted

Re: Rollover Pass news [Re: DickyT] #7029097 01/09/12 05:53 PM
J
jm423 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
What part of PASS do they not understand? Fish PASS through the pass, bay water/ gulf water exchange is critical to the life and productivity of any estuarine system. How do piers compenste for that??? Never been there myself but would think jetties would provide best of both worlds. Case in point--Cedar Bayou/ Vinson Slough complex betweem Matagorda and San Jose islands buldozed closed some years back during hysteria over Mexican oil spill, now a litany of excuses to not re-open.Knocked productivity of lower San Antonio and Mesquite bay considerably. No water exchange from Pass Cavallo all the way to Aransas Pass. Would also help when the Guadalupe gets on a tear!

Last edited by jm423; 01/09/12 06:04 PM.
Re: Rollover Pass news [Re: jm423] #7029189 01/09/12 06:13 PM
Eastexn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Rollover Pass holds many fond memories for me. I fished it during the 1960s and it is a special place to fish.

I agree with the majority here in that the pass serves a very important purpose in the marine life cycles in the bay estuary. No fishing pier can replace this, nor will it replace the fantastic fishing now available on the pass.

It seems to me repairing the pass and building protective jetties would be a better answer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide