Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,039,271
Posts13,962,002
Members144,197
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Moisture Issue in Boat (stored with canvas cover outside) #6839092 11/13/11 02:30 AM
D
dakicka Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
D
Hi Guys,

I've had a lot of growing pains with owning my first boat that I got only 2 weeks ago. Most I've learned along the way but there's still a few hiccups I haven't been able to overcome, notably keeping moisture out!!!

So far the 3 times I took the boat out to fish since I had it, there has been condensation when opening any storage compartment. There is dampness and a water on the inner portion of the door that I flip up to open the locker (like on the stainless steel portion). The carpet doesn't seem to get too bad wet, just inside the lockers. Also, the deck carpet stays dry too, it's only an issue inside the compartments for some reason.

I stow the boat at an outdoor secure storage facility (not my backyard or house) so I keep it covered with a relatively form fitting canvas cover that does not let water in. When storing it, it seems to cover any openings around the boat, but of course I'm sure there's an inch here or there that allows air in.

Anyway, I'm trying to cure this moisture/condensation issue immediately before I encounter a mildew/mold problem! The condensation only happens around the stainless steel/inner portion of each compartment on the boat... not on the deck carpet or inner carpet... I'm wondering what else I can do or if there is a better way to prevent this issue?

Also, I keep the compartments LOCKED since I store gear/rods in there, so keeping the doors open would not be an option for me although I'm sure that would resolve the issue (keeping them cracked open to allow air flow) with a fan under the canvas... But need a solution that will allow me to keep the compartments locked all day/night when storing boat...

My google research suggests a dehumidifier (I tried one of these in each storage compartment, but it did not work): http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/no-damp

Also google shows to try 'goldenrood dehumidifier: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/sto...;classNum=50670
didn't try that yet either...

I also googled that people suggest a 20" oscillating fan with a self timer so it goes on overnight and shuts off during the day. I did not try that.

West Marine suggested this: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/sto...8&langId=-1

I also googled people suggesting putting another tarp over the canvas cover, but not sure what that would do? Although I bet that would help me for when it rains so the water doesn't seem into one section of the canvas and collect (thus causing me to bail out water after a rain storm) which I had to do this AM.

Any tips would be much appreciated guys!!!

My fishin' videos: www.youtube.com/brentgrab
2013 PB: 8.7# Cisco, TX and many lost over 10 hahaha

Football Kicking Camps & Private Lessons
www.kickingworld.com
Re: Moisture Issue in Boat (stored with canvas cover outside) [Re: dakicka] #6839198 11/13/11 02:56 AM
S
snmcc Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
I use a tarp and boat cover, pull the tarp over the motor and leave a space between the cover and tarp. Also I put wood blocks in all doors before I wrap it up to allow air to flow in the compartments.

Boatless for minute
Re: Moisture Issue in Boat (stored with canvas cover outside) [Re: dakicka] #6839256 11/13/11 03:08 AM
F
Fishing South Texas Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Make sure you always pull your drain plug when you get off the water. Also when you park your boat make sure your trailer jack is all the way up so the front of the boat is higher than the rear of the boat so that any remaining water will drain out the drain hole.

Re: Moisture Issue in Boat (stored with canvas cover outside) [Re: Fishing South Texas] #6839436 11/13/11 03:51 AM
B
BassHunter 69 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
When I store mine with the cover it will do the same thing when it cools down at night. So I prop open the compartments just a bit to allow the temperature to change equally with the outside air. But I usually pull most items out of boat before I store it outside anyway.

Field Staff for Wicked Weights (Tungsten Done Right!)
Re: Moisture Issue in Boat (stored with canvas cover outside) [Re: dakicka] #6843603 11/14/11 04:39 PM
M
militarybrat Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Boat covers are a double edged sword they keep stuff out like the sun but they keep moisture in. I wonder when someone will invent one that is vented to let moisture out. Gore Tex would be way too expensive but would work. Dam covers keep water out but keep it in too.

Who ever said nothing in life is impossible.
Never tried slamming a revolving door.
Re: Moisture Issue in Boat (stored with canvas cover outside) [Re: dakicka] #6843989 11/14/11 07:18 PM
OldFrog Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I have the same issue. About once every week or two, when I'm not using it, I'll drop by the mini warehouse stall where it's stored, uncover it, open all the hatches and let it dry out in the sun for an hour or two while I piddle in my indoor warehouse. ( dont get too excited, you'll never see my unit on storage wars !)

Now, Donald...please pick John Bolton for your running mate.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide