Page 1 of 2 1 2
Strange question: BBQ on I-45 #681 06/11/03 04:28 PM
I
imacomin Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
I
I know one of yall can help me out on this. About a month ago or so, I went down to Houston (from Fort Worth). On the way down I caught the scent of some damn good smelling barbecue. On the way back up I paid more attention to where it came from. There was a strong wind out of the south, and the smell kicked in just a mile or so north of the Leona exit, so I assume it was there. This smell was strong and GOOD. Do any of yall know what I was smelling?

------------------
Save the Lake Bridgeport Hybrids!
Texas Fishing Info

Re: Strange question: BBQ on I-45 #682 06/11/03 05:06 PM
F
falcon Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
I think that would be Bubbas BBQ. I cant remimber what town its in but I have eaten there and yes it is great BBQ. I'm sure somone on here knows what town its in.

FL

FL
Re: Strange question: BBQ on I-45 #683 06/11/03 05:19 PM
Cowtown Hockey Offline
Angler
Angler
I believe that it is called Bubbas BBQ. They have signs all the way up 45 and the one I remember in particular says "Bubbas BBQ ate miles ahead” I exit off of I 45 at mile marker 247 onto hwy 287. I believe Bubbas is a few miles North of that exit probably around mile marker 250 to 255.

[This message has been edited by Cowtown Hockey (edited 06-11-2003).]

Re: Strange question: BBQ on I-45 #684 06/11/03 05:46 PM
R
RonJR Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Probably Madisonville.......right before you get to Centerville heading north on 45...22 miles or so....

Re: Strange question: BBQ on I-45 #685 06/11/03 07:08 PM
Streater Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Any question about BBQ is an IMPORTANT question in my book. BBQ is a food group, ya know. I think you were smelling the "Up In Smoke BBQ" joint. I've been there a couple of times, and will definately dine there again. Here's what I thought.

The parking lot in front isn't paved, but it's free of potholes and has ample parking up close. When I walked in the front door, I was immediately greeted by one of the staff and/or proprietors. They expressed a genuine appreciation that I came in, and took an honest intrest in making me comfortable.

The decor on the inside was simple and functional with autographed pictures and paraphealia of professional atheletes and celeberties. It didn't have the cluttered "white trashy" look that I've seen too many times in highway BBQ joints. The tables were covered with simple, red and white checkerboard pattern tablecloths, and the normal assortment of condiments. While the chairs were metal framed and armless, they were light, padded and functional.

As I stated previously, I take my BBQ very seriously. I take pride in the fact that I know good BBQ when I taste it, and what it takes to make it so. With that said, I found the food delicious. This was definately good BBQ. It wasn't that overly fatty meat that was cooked too fast in a conventional oven and drowned in a cold bbq sauce that tastes like ketchup with a little honey and lemon added to it. This meat was slow-smoked with wood in an accual PIT. The quality of the meat was way above average, and it was obvious that these people take pride in thier food.

The meat had an excellent flavor and was tender, without even a hint of dryness. They applied the right amount of herbs and spices to accentuate(sp*) the flavor of the meat without covering it up. It's obvious that these folks use thier own recipe. There was no generic taste to it whatsoever.

The BBQ sauce was thier own as well. It had a sweet tangy flavor that didn't drown the taste of the meat. Had the perfect consistancy as well; not too thick, not too watery, juuuuuuuust rite! I could drink this stuff straight. It was served a little bit hotter than most establishments, and I could tell that this recipe took decades to perfect. They serve beef, chicken, sausage, ribs and I think they even serve turkey. I had sliced beef, half pound of pork ribs, and a vegatable.

Up In Smoke offers a decent selection of vegatables and side orders, as well. The quality and freshness are comparable to the meat. I was given a slice of Texas toast with my meal that was buttered and toasted on both sides.

The only negatives I found took nothing away from the restaraunt. The portions could have been just a little bigger. Not that they were small by any means. I'm just a pig. The plates that the food came on were just enough to hold your full order, so I had to pay special attention as not to spill on the table. Not really an issue since I don't have to clean off the table when I'm done.

All in all, the dining experience was well worth the half hour I took to stop and eat. The service was friendly, quick and competant. The prices are reasonable and fair. In fact, they could probably get away with charging a little more, but we'll just leave that out of thier suggestion box. I'd highly suggest Up In Smoke BBQ to anyone. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.
AMEN

[This message has been edited by Mudcat (edited 06-11-2003).]

Re: Strange question: BBQ on I-45 #686 06/11/03 07:47 PM
F
falcon Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Mudcat, i do have to say you take your BBQ seriously. .
Thanks for the tip.

FL

FL
Re: Strange question: BBQ on I-45 #687 06/11/03 07:49 PM
R_L Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Bubba's BBQ is in Ennis. 35 miles South of Dallas on 45.

Re: Strange question: BBQ on I-45 #688 06/11/03 08:10 PM
M
MIKEY Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I thought there was another one right before you get to the Wortham exit. I could be wrong though. But if you really think about it there are 42 BBQ places called Bubba's right here in Ellis County, so it could be Bubba's.

Re: Strange question: BBQ on I-45 #689 06/11/03 10:12 PM
redfinŽ Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Ate at an Up In Smoke place they use to have in Keller a long time ago...don't know if it's still there or not since I moved but they had the autographed movie star/singer pictures and old posters there as well. I remember the old Filmore West posters the most...that place use to rock with a lot of up-in-smoke as well.

Hey, wasn't that an old Cheech and Chong movie title if I remember in my old fog soaked mind?

------------------

I know more old alcoholics than I know old doctors - Me.
"If you think women are the weaker sex, try pulling the blankets back over on your side."
Re: Strange question: BBQ on I-45 #690 06/12/03 01:53 AM
B
big_al Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
If you were around Leona there is a little country store there, off the Leona exit. They do meals, it varies by nite as to what is on. No choice as to what you want,just choice of drinks, and all you can eat of whatever is on that night. Sorry dont know the name but may can find out this weekend if you are still interested.

Re: Strange question: BBQ on I-45 #691 06/12/03 08:58 AM
B
bradtex Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Yes redfin, Up in Smoke is still in Keller.

Ride 135
Re: Strange question: BBQ on I-45 #692 06/12/03 02:28 PM
K
Keith Stone! Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
K
There is a Shell station that also has a large general store with a meat market inside. It is located on the north side of Madisonville. Leona is the next town to the north if I recall. Anyway, they make beef jerky and other smoked meats on site.

That may have been what you were smelling? They are on the southbound side of the road.

Re: Strange question: BBQ on I-45 #693 06/12/03 02:38 PM
I
imacomin Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
I
Thanks for the help guys, sounds like it was either the store in Leona or possibly the place in Madisonville.

Redfin, Up N Smoke in Keller is still here, different owners nowadays. I'm pretty good friends with those guys and George is a racing nut so now the bar and restaurant is jam packed with all his racing memorabilia, including this really neat accidental double exposure picture he has of Dale Earnhardt.

Every race out at TMS, he goes out and meets some of the teams he's friends with and a couple of them will invariably come out to the restaurant a night or two and hang out for awhile. I've had a lot of fun hanging out with George at the speedway and at the restaurant when all the racers are in town.

In the past, Up N Smoke has been a fairly rough place but George and Phil are really adamant about keeping it a little more family friendly than it used to be. Don't get me wrong, everyone has a good time in there, just not the same hell-raisers that used to go there.

Oh, and don't tell George, but their barbecue isn't my favorite

------------------
Save the Lake Bridgeport Hybrids!
Texas Fishing Info

Re: Strange question: BBQ on I-45 #694 06/12/03 10:10 PM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
BBQ huh?
Well let me say this...
Kreitz Market - Lockhart
City Market - Luling
Salt Lick - Driftwood
Cooper's - Llano
Louie Mueller's - Taylor
Sonny Bryant's - Dallas
And of course...
Rudy's - Leon Springs

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: Strange question: BBQ on I-45 #695 06/12/03 11:13 PM
D
divot Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Rudy's? Is that down near Sea World? The display on the gas pump's says that Rudy's is the Worst BBQ in Texas! It sure did smell good, I should've tried it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide