Forums59
Topics1,040,256
Posts13,978,488
Members144,232
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Pontoon log repair [Re: Mike Halfmann the boatmann] #6770134 10/25/11 12:42 PM
M
Mike Halfmann the boatmann Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
M
It's an 86 model 24ft Sweetwater. Here's the poopy part: The boat was given to me so that I could turn it into a Handicap boat. And I busted my (you know what) to make the boat ready for Last Weekend on Lake Bastrop. We had 16 boats that was going to show up and "Take A Solder Fishing" These solders were coming from Fort Hood. Johnny Corino's was donating food for fifty people. Remax (Hunter Brewton) donated $150 to the materials for the boat, V&V Marine (wholesaler) sold me carpet at a reduced price. Johnson's Lake Management donated 5 lbs live minnows,(approximately 1000) My business footed the rest of the materials and labor to make this boat ready.
Then on Friday afternoon at 4:30. The whole thing was called off. The reason? There was some kind of lack of effort from Fort Hood's representative and only 4 solders signed up. This was not due to a bunch of fellows willing to spend there time and money to make this happen from our side of the fence. So, I had already picked up the live bait, and then invited my 89 year old dad that is wheelchair bound and a 84 year old ex fishing partener to go. After a few anchor spots we ended up in the hot water discharge and loaded the boat with catfish. Great ending. That was until I loaded the boat and watched the water sprinkler effect coming from the pontoon logs. So to make a long story short; I'm deep into the restoration on this project with the new cross ribs, decking, carpet, console, lights and wiring, hand crafted loading ramps,tune-ed up motor and regristration. So I'm searching for ideas on the pontoon problem. Once repaired, The boat has already a committment to "Take a Wounded Worrior Fishing" for next years Ducks Unlimited Banquet and for the Bastrop's "Take a Solder Fishing" reschedule tournament(date not set yet).
I have checked into a couple of suggestions that has been presented here on the TFF. Two look really good, but I've run short of funding and will have to posepone this for a little while. Or at least until I get another donation....
The consept of turning a pontoon boat into a handicap vessel especially intended for wheelchair or scooter fishermen has meet with some great response. There are a lot, and I mean a lot, of people that want to go fishing but can't due to the fact of limited facilities.
sorry to get so long winded, but it touches my inner soul to help a wounded worrior that gave so much for our freedom.

Last edited by Mike Halfmann the boatmann; 10/25/11 12:45 PM.

mike halfmann
Re: Pontoon log repair [Re: Mike Halfmann the boatmann] #6771193 10/25/11 05:49 PM
C
crabman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Thank you Mike, you are a Patriot. Our Wounded Warriors deserve a lot more than what our Country gives them. Your boat needs a salute also. New pontoons or a cut, patch & weld? Good luck.

Re: Pontoon log repair [Re: Mike Halfmann the boatmann] #6800132 11/02/11 01:26 PM
M
Mike Halfmann the boatmann Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
M
UPDATE>>>>>
Thru the generosity of Nettle's Propellers in Austin (512)837-7707. J.T., Mike, and Robert is welding the holes shut on the bottom of the logs. Once we lifted the toon, it was quite clear why the water looked liked a sprinkler system coming out of the bottom of the logs. The water was running out of holes just offset of the bottom into an angle shaped aluminum the acted like a rudder on the bottom of the log. These holes were made due to the poor installation of the trailers bunks. The manufacture (sportsman, which is out of business) did not countersink the heads of the mounting bolts. Those bolts were not stainless steel or galvanized, instead plain steel. They rusted and did a chemical reaction with the aluminum. They also were touching the aluminum and apparently rusting while rubbing a hole in the log.

Cudos to Nettle's Propellers...... They are a full sevice propeller repair facility that also does skeg/cavitation repair and aluminum welding of all kinds. If you find yourself in need of such sevices....give them a call.....(512)837-7707 They do pickup and drop off in San Marcos, San Antonio, Seguin, McQuenny, Marble Falls, Waco, Temple and other areas...

mike halfmann
Re: Pontoon log repair [Re: Mike Halfmann the boatmann] #6800290 11/02/11 02:22 PM
B
Blue Skeeter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: Mike Halfmann the boatmann
UPDATE>>>>>
Thru the generosity of Nettle's Propellers in Austin (512)837-7707. J.T., Mike, and Robert is welding the holes shut on the bottom of the logs. Once we lifted the toon, it was quite clear why the water looked liked a sprinkler system coming out of the bottom of the logs. The water was running out of holes just offset of the bottom into an angle shaped aluminum the acted like a rudder on the bottom of the log. These holes were made due to the poor installation of the trailers bunks. The manufacture (sportsman, which is out of business) did not countersink the heads of the mounting bolts. Those bolts were not stainless steel or galvanized, instead plain steel. They rusted and did a chemical reaction with the aluminum. They also were touching the aluminum and apparently rusting while rubbing a hole in the log.

Cudos to Nettle's Propellers...... They are a full sevice propeller repair facility that also does skeg/cavitation repair and aluminum welding of all kinds. If you find yourself in need of such sevices....give them a call.....(512)837-7707 They do pickup and drop off in San Marcos, San Antonio, Seguin, McQuenny, Marble Falls, Waco, Temple and other areas...

The guys at nettles are top notch. They will let you take and try diff props before you purchase. They can also fix bent prop shafts for $150.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide