Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,039,267
Posts13,961,847
Members144,197
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Dings/Dents warrant any concern? (buying a used Alum. Boat) #6756766 10/21/11 04:43 AM
D
dakicka Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
D
Hey Guys,

I think I finally found a boat. If all goes well this deal should wrap up by next week. It's for a nice Bass Tracker pretty souped up. If it works out I'll put pics online after I buy her, but for the time being I have a attached the 'worst pic' on the boat. I wanted to get your advice as to if the dings/dents in the bottom of the hull (in the below photo) warrant any concern or if it's perfectly fine? The boat seems to be in PRISTINE condition besides this and it's a 2007 model year. Also, what would be considered 'high hours' on a 2007 Mercury Optimax engine? I believe there to be about 180 hours on it and I was wondering if that is good or what. (I will of course get a boat mechanic to check compression, engine, hull, transom, etc., do a test drive and check hours officially with a meter). Lastly, the guy has this boat financed and he is thinking the process would be I come and pay my cash for it, sign some sort of paper with him and then he has the lender send the official transfer of ownership/bill of sale paperwork AFTER the fact? To me that doesn't seem to jive... I would think there's a way to have this all sorted out AT the time of sale so I can leave w/ the boat and assurance of paperwork complete showing I am owner and the loan is paid off. How would we orchestrate this all? Any tips? Also, what specifically should I be getting signed and receiving in form of paperwork? And when paying taxes when putting them boat under my name with the state (this would be in California-not Texas) am I going to get stuck for full price I pay or do people low ball the actual purchase amount somehow? Please let me know and thanks for your help.

My fishin' videos: www.youtube.com/brentgrab
2013 PB: 8.7# Cisco, TX and many lost over 10 hahaha

Football Kicking Camps & Private Lessons
www.kickingworld.com
Re: Dings/Dents warrant any concern? (buying a used Alum. Boat) [Re: dakicka] #6756883 10/21/11 10:18 AM
T
taking5kidsfishing Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
As far as the dings...I'm no expert but my 1983 jonboat has many dings and it floats fine. Get somebody with good experience to look at it.

As far as the cash...DON'T give him money up front. Sounds like a scam. If he wants to sell, go to the lender WITH him and have the title signed over to you in the lenders office where they notarize it, etc. By the sounds of this guy, I would also have him tow the boat to the lender and take possession there. Don't give this guy cash. Do the transaction at his lender. If he balks at that, walk away and find a different boat.

The taxes...if it is like Texas, your bill of sale determines that. With cars, however, the state can increase the taxable amount based on the "value" of the car...I bought a used Expedition for 8K but the book value was 13K....they taxed me on the 13K...not sure about boats.

Good luck to you....hope it works out well for you.

Pray for a return to our Constitution.
Re: Dings/Dents warrant any concern? (buying a used Alum. Boat) [Re: dakicka] #6758467 10/21/11 07:39 PM
J
Jackhammer Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Absolutely do not give him any money.

Like taking 5 said: Insist on going to the lending institution with him. They will assist with title transfer, etc.

Jim
Diana, Texas

If Christ is not first in your life, then you're settling for second best.
Re: Dings/Dents warrant any concern? (buying a used Alum. Boat) [Re: dakicka] #6759062 10/21/11 11:15 PM
D
dakicka Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
D
bump.

thanks for the help guys. anyone else care to comment on the dings/dents? anything bad?

RE: Cash- sorry, I meant I would be giving a certified/bank check and it turns out he wound up paying the loan today so he will have the title/release of lien docs in hand soon and upon seeing that and test drive/compression test/checking hours on engine/general inspection we will swap money for boat...

Re: Dings/Dents warrant any concern? (buying a used Alum. Boat) [Re: dakicka] #6759228 10/22/11 12:09 AM
B
BassHunter 69 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
The only dents that are really bad are ones on seams or ones that have stretched the aluminum till its thin. The little dings in your pictures dont look bad . But you should climb under the boat and look it over.

Field Staff for Wicked Weights (Tungsten Done Right!)
Re: Dings/Dents warrant any concern? (buying a used Alum. Boat) [Re: dakicka] #6789320 10/30/11 04:12 PM
H
Hanley Offline
Angler
Angler
H
I wouldnt worry about that. My last boat was an Xpress aluminum that I put through the wringer and never had any issues arise due to dents and ding I encountered. Just make sure there are no cracks forming.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide