Print Thread
Wading gear for winter #6706269 10/06/11 12:41 PM
A
Aitsurido Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Does anyone have any unique types of gear they have found over the years for staying warm while wading or warming up after an unintentional swim?

I carry a set of loose fitting sweats, long johns, socks, and a knit cap just in case I swim. I typically wear a knit scarf across my shoulders to keep the wind from going down my neck. Gloves, fleece pants inside my waders with wool socks, and flannel/felted shirts from Goodwill. (I know the thought that just popped into your head but its too late, I already snagged most of them)

Also, the clothes I get from Goodwill don't seem to scream too much when I take scissors to them and superglue some Velcro down so they fit better.

I used to purposely buy shirts that had arms that were too long so if I got hot I could tie them around my waist but the material would sag down to my wrists and make casting a chore. My Boy Scout Nephew showed me how I could cut the toes out of tube socks and wear them as cuffs to prevent that plus they're warm too.

Death smiles at everyone, Marines smile back.
Re: Wading gear for winter [Re: Aitsurido] #6706876 10/06/11 03:53 PM
M
mickfly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Having fished in the Arctic, Alaska, and across the northern US, including several "Early Season Openers" in Wisconsin in early March with single digit temps, my primary suggestion is to avoid cotton (including flannel, felt, and sweats) and go for quick-dry synthetic fabrics.

When I fish in the cold, I layer several layers of synthetics, from polypro long johns to microfleece to Polartec 300 outerwear or a windstopper jacket. One favorite in really cold conditions is a Cabela's Polartec 300 hoodie, since the hood is roomy enough to wear a billed cap underneath and can be loosened to provide some ventilation when I get heated up from wading or hiking.

Another piece of advice I follow is "If you want warm feet, buy a good hat." You lose lots of heat above the neck so make sure you are well-bundled there, too. On my feet, I'll wear a pair of wicking socks and two pairs of synthetic boot or hiking socks.

Breathable waders are also a must. People used to swear by neoprene waders in cold conditions, but I found they retained to much moisture inside, creating cold, clammy conditions that became quickly uncomfortable.

And if you take a dive in the cold, hypothermia is always a possiblity, so get out and get dry as soon as possible.

Last edited by mickfly; 10/06/11 03:55 PM.

Mickfly
Fish Friendly -- Life's too short to do it any other way
Re: Wading gear for winter [Re: mickfly] #6708202 10/06/11 11:44 PM
M
MHawk82 Offline
Angler
Angler
M
I second Mick on the quick dry stuff. I used under armour cold gear top and bottom, then fleece on that with a good cold weather shell jacket. I don't keep the liner in just in case I take a swim. I separate the two and the fleece jacket goes in the waders. I sat down in 34* F water and luckily it didn't make it over the waders by about 2 " or it would've been a bad day. I used to wear two fleeces, one under and one over the waders, but that was too hot and makes for a bad day when the outer one gets wet. Two pair of wool socks for the feet too and what ever gloves you like. I personally like neoprene mittens the the mitten part folds back and has a tipless glove under.

Good luck.

Re: Wading gear for winter [Re: Aitsurido] #6709359 10/07/11 12:37 PM
A
Aitsurido Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking forward to it getting really cold and there being LOTS of rain this winter. One can only hope.

Death smiles at everyone, Marines smile back.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide