Print Thread
Will pumping river water kill bass? #6656713 09/21/11 06:10 PM
T
TexAg-'09 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
We have a few tanks stocked with bass and striper on our place near Coleman, TX. With the drought conditions, we've been forced to pump water out of the Colorado River to keep these tanks from going dry, both to keep from losing our fish, and also to keep something to drink for the deer and other wildlife.

The reason we stocked these tanks was because we had an apparent die-off several years back. The fishing had been great, and then suddenly you couldn't catch anything. This occurred shortly after we had pumped a bunch of water from the river to fill the tanks up. We brought a fish expert out, he shocked the tanks and did all that stuff and we only saw a few bass. We stocked them up and since then have had great fishing, catching 5 lb bass and nice healthy striper almost at will. We've also managed the tanks accordingly so as not to have too high a fish population.

Are these fish at risk from our irrigation practices? I only ask because a week or two ago, shortly after a couple days of pumping, I found two dead grass carp that we had put in one of the tanks. I haven't seen any bass or striper floating yet, but was just curious. The water we're pulling is from the river near Lake Ivie so I wouldn't think there would be any problems, but was just curious looking for some input.

Thanks.

Aaron Smith
TAMU Petroleum Engineering Class of '09
Rig: 2011 F-250 Superduty Diesel w/ 2008 Mako 2201.
Re: Will pumping river water kill bass? [Re: TexAg-'09] #6656754 09/21/11 06:20 PM
S
snickers Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Is the river moving or is it sitting still like stagnet. I would think its a oxygen type of problem.

Re: Will pumping river water kill bass? [Re: snickers] #6656806 09/21/11 06:34 PM
J
Jedfish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
you have striper in a pond?

Re: Will pumping river water kill bass? [Re: Jedfish] #6656853 09/21/11 06:49 PM
B
Ban-D Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Jedfish
you have striper in a pond?

+1

Re: Will pumping river water kill bass? [Re: Ban-D] #6665273 09/23/11 09:35 PM
B
Brandon A Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
You have a permit to pump out of the colorado to fill stock ponds?

Cast, reel, HOOK 'EM

http://texasbassteam.com/
Re: Will pumping river water kill bass? [Re: Brandon A] #6667058 09/24/11 05:12 PM
jason121 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A few things,

1. How do you have striped bass in a pond? As far as I know that is not possible. Maybe hybrids but Im no fish-biologist so fill me in.
2. As far as pumping water from the river. I'm no expert again but surface water is not permitted to be use without permission from the state. This is per a 1967 law I remember my grandfather talking to me about several years ago when i suggested we pump river water into our low ponds. He did research and found that while a landowner can use ground water as he/she needs that surface water is the states.
3. I agree that the kill is due to O2 issue with the river vs. Pond, or a temp imbalance. Like a turnover on a larger body of water.

Re: Will pumping river water kill bass? [Re: jason121] #6667133 09/24/11 06:05 PM
S
salex Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Striped bass are possible in private ponds. Many beleive that larger ponds, probably 5 acres or larger will have greater success than smaller ones. Remember that striped bass compete for the same forage as large mouth bass. Food is the single biggest limiting factor to growing big fish. If your goal is to grow trophy LMB than having stripers in the same pond is probably costing you additional weight for your LMB.

Steve Alexander
salexander@privatewaterfishing.com
www.privatewaterfishing.com

Re: Will pumping river water kill bass? [Re: salex] #6667946 09/25/11 12:52 AM
T
Texas Pro Lake Management Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I would first get a water test done on the river water and your lake water. Also, I would contact tpwd and determine how close the golden algea in the Colorado river basin is to your pump. Once you get the results from your water quality test back I would contact your fisheries biologist and let them tell you if anything in the river would harm your lake.

In my opinion I would be mainly be concerned with river temperature compared to your lake temperature. When you pump cool river water into a warm lake it could cause a turnover. Get yourself a thermometer that you can measure the temperature at every foot or so in the deepest part of the lake. Also measure the temperature of the river water. This info would tell you if you may cause a turn over in the lake with the river water. What you are looking for is warm temperature at the surface with a quick drop at 5-8 ft of 4-5 degrees or more in some cases, that is the thermocline. The difference in surface temp to thermocline temp and the depth you find the thermocline at could give you a fairly good idea if a turnover is highly likely. Considering the fact that you have striped bass and largemouth in the lake I would say you are at fairly high risk of a turnover.if it were my lake or a customers of mine I would look into a form of bottom aeration to help prevent a turn over.

You may also look into the way the river water is discharged into your lake. Try to break the water up by running over rock and/or spraying it into the air. This will add oxygen and allow the water to disperse much more evenly.

Happy Fishing!

Re: Will pumping river water kill bass? [Re: Texas Pro Lake Management] #6671089 09/26/11 09:58 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
Grass carp can be the first to go when a Dissolved Oxygen crash occurs. They are the ponds "Canary in the coal mine" re oxygen. And that crash can happen in 15 minutes. A lot of your other fish might come out OK.

Several things can cause it and GAC has come up with the most plausible thoughts regarding the river water temps. I'll certainly second his thoughts about having the water tested and aeration if at all possible and/or feasible. Ivie water, at this time, could have some serious problems. While the water has evaporated, it has left behind all of the nasties that can be in a big body of water. Only the water has gone. It has been said that fish live in their own toilets and the ones that we create for them.

That water might be OK for cows to drink but not for fish to live in.

When changing water in home aquariums, we are advised to only do a certain small amount at a time.

There are warnings in stretches of Texas rivers where it isn't really safe to eat the fish.

It could also be having a fish biomass that can't be supported. Neglect and/or catch and release can be the culprit. That doesn't sound like the case in your situation.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide