Page 1 of 2 1 2
Wader Fix? #6460577 07/31/11 03:51 AM
S
sofleye23 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Does anyone know of a method that can fix a hole in neoprene waders? No leeks, just fell on a sharp rock in Oklahoma and cut about a 1/2 in. slit in the knee area, in both the waders and the skin lol. Thinking about just buying some waterproof sealant/glue and gluing a piece of neoprene from some gravel guards on top. Thanks for any suggestions.

"If you fall on the concrete, that's your as-phalt"
Re: Wader Fix? [Re: sofleye23] #6460594 07/31/11 03:56 AM
K
keebranch Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Sofleye23,
I would recommend Loons Knot sense it will take care oif the problem. Add a dab and a little sunshine, which we have plenty of lately-it literaly takes less than a minute to mend.

http://ultralightflyfishing.com
Lightliner & creek fisherman
Re: Wader Fix? [Re: sofleye23] #6460943 07/31/11 10:56 AM
G
George Glazener Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Originally Posted By: sofleye23
Does anyone know of a method that can fix a hole in neoprene waders? No leeks, just fell on a sharp rock in Oklahoma and cut about a 1/2 in. slit in the knee area, in both the waders and the skin lol. Thinking about just buying some waterproof sealant/glue and gluing a piece of neoprene from some gravel guards on top. Thanks for any suggestions.

Goop ...
http://www.eclecticproducts.com/ag_adhesives_epoxies.htm

Last edited by George Glazener; 07/31/11 11:04 AM. Reason: Amazing Goop

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds.
Previously george 1

www.reelrecovery.org

Re: Wader Fix? [Re: George Glazener] #6461807 07/31/11 05:21 PM
S
sofleye23 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Thanks for the suggestions guys, both look great. The amazing Goop Sport and outdoor one seems to be perfect. And the loon looks cool too. But I heard the loon cures kinda hard/stiff, and that would be annoying in the knee of my waders rubbing up ( I wear shorts underneath ). I might just use both... The loon the seal the hole, then the goop the glue on a piece of neoprene ontop.

Re: Wader Fix? [Re: sofleye23] #6461909 07/31/11 05:56 PM
P
preast Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Aquaseal has never failed me. I've not tried the UV version yet but the regular version is good stuff. Dries flexible and pretty much never loses its integrity. If it's just a rip/tear with the material still in tact, Aquaseal can work by itself in a lot of situations. At the knee, it couldn't hurt to use a patch.

Loon actually makes a wader repair product also.

Re: Wader Fix? [Re: preast] #6467491 08/02/11 01:27 AM
S
sofleye23 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
I bought both at Academy. They only had the Aquaseal UV that was 6 bucks, then I picked up some amazing gooop "marine" for 2.50. I'm going to seal the hole/cut with the aquaseal, then adhere a neoprene patch with the marine amazing goop. And if I have to much time on my hands, I just might do the edges of the patch up with the aquaseal. The only thing that concerns me is that the amazing goop says not to use on anything that comes in contact with animals or drinkning water etc... but it's only on the knee.

Re: Wader Fix? [Re: sofleye23] #6468471 08/02/11 11:13 AM
G
George Glazener Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Don't worry about Goop coming in contact with your skin - just use in a well vetilated area. I have used the stuff for years for thread cement - thin with toluene - it's the same as Dave's Fleximent - use instead of Pliobond - flexible - best stuff around.
You don't need Aquaseal or a patch - just Goop it and forget it ....grin
cheers

Previously george 1

www.reelrecovery.org

Re: Wader Fix? [Re: George Glazener] #6468557 08/02/11 12:22 PM
Bass Bug Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: George Glazener
Don't worry about Goop coming in contact with your skin - just use in a well vetilated area. I have used the stuff for years for thread cement - thin with toluene - it's the same as Dave's Fleximent - use instead of Pliobond - flexible - best stuff around.
cheers

yea but George, you got the big C remember ? if I was a young man I would steer clear of many of the solvent based glues (or paints, etc, etc) I got cancer too & that kinda stuff is a proven carcinogen.

Re: Wader Fix? [Re: Bass Bug] #6468947 08/02/11 02:52 PM
G
George Glazener Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Originally Posted By: Bass Bug
cheers

yea but George, you got the big C remember ? if I was a young man I would steer clear of many of the solvent based glues (or paints, etc, etc) I got cancer too & that kinda stuff is a proven carcinogen.

Mike, you are CORRECT as usual about the carcinogen stuff - you sound just like my doctor!
I have to remind him that I got galvanize poisoning welding in shipyards when I was a teenager prior to WWII, then breathing artillery smoke, tobacco smoke and goodness knows what I drank ...and then breathing lead fumes casting lead head jigs and toluene thread cement fumes hmmmm!
Life is tedious aint it???

hammer

Previously george 1

www.reelrecovery.org

Re: Wader Fix? [Re: George Glazener] #6472075 08/03/11 02:17 AM
S
sofleye23 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Bass Bug
cheers

Mike, you are CORRECT as usual about the carcinogen stuff - you sound just like my doctor!
I have to remind him that I got galvanize poisoning welding in shipyards when I was a teenager prior to WWII, then breathing artillery smoke, tobacco smoke and goodness knows what I drank ...and then breathing lead fumes casting lead head jigs and toluene thread cement fumes hmmmm!
Life is tedious aint it???

hammer

Whoah... shocked

Re: Wader Fix? [Re: sofleye23] #6472323 08/03/11 03:14 AM
P
pearow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
.......and George youre still living, and someone who hasn't been exposed to any of that dies at 27 years of age of cancer. makes you wonder????-p-

Re: Wader Fix? [Re: pearow] #6472729 08/03/11 06:09 AM
S
S-S Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Since we're on the topic of fixing waders...

...I have a pair that has had a leak on the stockingfoot seam since I bought them. How ye fix that?

Glue and ducktape?

Re: Wader Fix? [Re: S-S] #6472735 08/03/11 06:27 AM
S
sofleye23 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Originally Posted By: solamisandwich

...I have a pair that has had a leak on the stockingfoot seam since I bought them. How ye fix that?

Glue and ducktape?

I had one of dem too. Get the aquaseal, best stuff ever! It's like flexible epoxy.

Re: Wader Fix? [Re: S-S] #6473456 08/03/11 02:39 PM
G
George Glazener Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G

Glue and ducktape?

I had one of dem too. Get the aquaseal, best stuff ever! It's like flexible epoxy.

Like I told yall Goop It .. grin
Reverse the wader foot and dab Goop liberally to the seam.
It worked for me when Aquaseal failed but I probably didnt apply enough coats because IIRC Aquaseal has lower viscosity. Dab on thicker Goop in the seam - it is flexible and will mend anything!

I like to use stuff that is available from sources other than fly shops often the same products as commercial but re-packaged and re-labeled IMO.

Doesnt have to be AmazingGoop it is packaged under different labels from Shoe Goop to others .. just marketing .. find at Wally World, home improvement stores, Dollar stores just use in well ventilated area same as Aquaseal or other rubber/solvent based adhesive.

Like Lefty says: Its tougher than a mean Mother-in-Law
cheers

Previously george 1

www.reelrecovery.org

Re: Wader Fix? [Re: George Glazener] #6473514 08/03/11 02:55 PM
S
spiny norman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
If its a big tear in neoprene, you will want to reinforce it with some added fabric. I used a thin cotton scrap and Barge cement to hold it in place. Flexable, without bulk and holding up well so far.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide