Print Thread
Wind BLOWS #638330 10/14/06 09:54 PM
G
Gator_Nutz Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
G
Can someone tell me when this wind is going to subside? Is this normal for this time of year in Houston/Galveston area? I went out regardless because I had been waiting all week for the chance. It was awful. I didn't even bother going out in the bay. Stayed in Clear Lake with everyone else. Strikes but no fish. Had fun anyway just being on the water but I sure would like a semi nice weekend someday. Anyone else get out down here today? How was it for you? I know, I know. It was awesome and you got your limit in 30 minutes. I hope I get to say that someday.

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." - George Bush
Re: Wind BLOWS #638331 10/15/06 04:02 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Try very early morning before the atmosphere heats up...seems a little calmer then, although we've been catching most of our fish between ~9a and 11a and just tolerating the wind. I know what you mean, we'd like to see some of the calm and cool "October mornings" too! Hang on! They're coming soon!

fish

Take someone you love Fishing...
Re: Wind BLOWS #638332 10/16/06 11:38 PM
G
Gator_Nutz Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
G
Leonardo - are you wade fishing or in a boat? I was out there last Saturday early. I always get out pretty early. 5:30ish. But last Saturday, it was really whipping up and we did not even bother going out of the channel. Chose to stay in Clear Lake. Especially at 9:00 or 9:30. I have gone out under those conditions before and, probably due to my newness to boating and all, it was never much fun. I'll keep hitting it but when I look at the 10 day forecast, it looks like it's never going to be "nice" again and maybe I should forget it and just try some wading.

Re: Wind BLOWS #638333 10/21/06 02:48 PM
G
Gator_Nutz Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
G
ARGH

Re: Wind BLOWS #638334 10/22/06 08:31 AM
R
robsco Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Hang in there GN.
Wind will, at times, push baitfish up to wind blown banks and reefs/sandbars. Look for birds.
Saw your boat pix in the photo section...very nice!
Does your GPS pick up okay with the antenna under the T-top?

Clean up...
Re: Wind BLOWS #638335 10/23/06 10:05 AM
G
Gator_Nutz Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
G
Oh I will be hanging in there. I know it will improve and I'm learning more each trip, fish or no fish. As for the GPS, it's funny you should ask. When I got the T-top, I suggested that the puck be put up on top. My service/rigger guy said it should work fine where it is so we left it. Now it works sort of sometimes but not consistently. I continually keep getting "Position lost" then "Positin Acquired" messages over and over. Sometimes it won't even reacquire until I power off the unit and then power it back on. I will be getting the antenna moved up on the top. I'm not too happy with the sonar either and I'm not sure if it's just the unit and me not knowing how to adjust and use it properly or maybe the transducer is just in a bad spot. I get lots and lots of clutter and noise that becomes basically unreadable when underway and I'm thinking maybe its the location of the transducer and the water turbulence as it's coming across it from the tunnel hull. Any thoughts on that? Thanks.

Re: Wind BLOWS #638336 10/23/06 11:45 AM
L
Leonardo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Mornin' GN...fishing for flounder, mostly from the boat, seldom ever wade, hugging the shoreline from El Jardin on around to the Kemah bridge. Hardly ever see anyone fishing like this...they're almost always out in the bay ~ 1/4 mile or more from shore, until we get near Jennings island. What's the draft on your boat?...sometimes we're in pretty shallow water, not even 2 feet deep. We use minimal hardware in terms of terminal tackle with only a 6" 30# mono-leader with a #3 swivel on top and a 1/0 flounder hook (tied directly to the leader, not with a snap)...then a #3 snap-swivel on the bitter end of the line from the reel with a clear bead above that, followed by a 1/2 oz. egg sinker in slip rig fashion...this is so when we hook up and retrieve we can simply "un-snap" the leader, put Mrs. Flounder in the box, "snap-on" a new leader and be back in the water in a flash! We reclaim the leaders when we clean the fish. If they are scathed we simply harvest the hook and swivel and re-tie with new mono. For undersize fish, if the hook cannot be EASILY removed, we just cut the leader at the mouth and release the fish...we do use a red bead between the hook and swivel on the leader. We fish for flounder with live bait: finger mullet, killifish, and shad, in any order. For us, only the killifish stay alive in the live well...the mullet and /or shad must be kept in flow-troll minnow buckets overboard. We secure our own bait with cast net/minnow traps.

In terms of technique, for us it's sort of like "doodle-socking"(sp) the brush for Bass...we let the weight hit bottom, then lift it very slightly and then down to the bottom again..over and over, covering ground as we go. We've been successful with that...would be interested in your approach...for flounder, of course! LOL! When we fish for specs, we just chase the birds over in Trinity Bay and chunk touts or CoHo's or whatever's handy!

I agree with you regarding the turbulence thing concerning your transducer. I would consider relocating it. I'm also curious about induced interference from other electronics on board...consulting an expert is probably a good idea.

Sure do like your rig. We hope you get lots of use and good times. We've had our boat for 17 years and she still looks and runs like new.

BTW, "We", is me, and my lovely wife Georgia.

Good Luck! We're going fishing! fish

Take someone you love Fishing...
Re: Wind BLOWS #638337 10/23/06 05:48 PM
T
Trout-killer Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I dont even want to hear any moaning about how bad the wind is in the Houston area. Try living in Corpus Christi. We have 25-30 mph winds every day. I have heard that we are the windyest city in America. Anyway, I watch the weather channel and seldom get up when the wind is bad. I I just like to throw lures and the wind makes the water not right for them. I just assume wait for decent conditions as much as I get to go fishing. Early mornings are a must.

Re: Wind BLOWS #638338 10/23/06 09:51 PM
R
robsco Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Quote:
Originally posted by Leonardo:
I agree with you regarding the turbulence thing concerning your transducer. I would consider relocating it. I'm also curious about induced interference from other electronics on board...consulting an expert is probably a good idea.
Leo is right...call around and find someone who knows electronics first hand. Just because someone works at a boat place does not mean they know boats, especially electronics. The folks that installed my on-board charger had the thing wired wrong. Go figure. I do most everything myself but was out of town and hired it done. Transducer location and wire routing are important.
I would definitely get that GPS antenna on the T-top.

Clean up...
Re: Wind BLOWS #638339 10/23/06 10:56 PM
G
Gator_Nutz Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
G
Thanks guys. Leonardo, what kind of boat do you have? I was out there in this same location for about an hour Saturday before going back into Clear Lake again to putt around out of the rough stuff. We probably see you and don't even know it. Thanks for the advice on flounder fishing. I can't share my approach to that because I have never done it. I can tell you though I will be taking your advice and trying it now. I can get up into some pretty skinny water when the motor's up and I'm using the trolling motor. I'm guessing I draft 16 - 18" with the load I carry. Never really tried to find out for sure but I have been in 2' before with no problems. I was actually in about 8 inches one day at Lake Conroe. Now that was a bit of a problem. Didn't hurt anything but my pride I guess when we had to get out in water about up to our shins, in the middle of the lake, and pull the boat off of the sandbar we were grounded on. That was a blast. I learned something about that lake though. I fish with my wife Jennie also. She's pretty new to fishing but is really enjoying it and the boat.
Ah yes, electronics. Not my cup of tea. I know next to nothing about them or electrical. I have sort of put myself at the mercy of my dealer and I'm sure that has not been the best idea I could have had. I am having the antenna moved up on the top of the T-top. I will also be looking for a good electronics man to help me with the transducer location. All I really know about the Lowrance is what I read in their manual but what I do read tells me that the antenna was mounted in the wrong place and that the transducer could possibly be in the wrong place as well. I'll get it all sorted out soon I hope and then I won't have anymore excuses for not catching fish. At least not boat related ones. My actual fishing skills will continue to be my excuse until I can improve them. I do love it though, even without catching fish. I can only imagine how much more fun it will be with some actual success.
Also, I will continue "moaning" about windy conditions in this area because I live in this area. I really could not care less about Corpus' winds. :p
Thanks again guys for all the help.
James

Re: Wind BLOWS #638340 10/26/06 01:49 PM
T
Trout-killer Offline
Angler
Angler
T
If you got my post deleted for calling you a cry baby than thats pretty weak.

Re: Wind BLOWS #638341 10/26/06 06:00 PM
G
Gator_Nutz Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
G
Simmer down dude, I didn't get anything deleted. I thought it was funny (see the smiley face?) and it sure didn't bother me. Nothing bothers me here. Maybe it bothered someone else. Who knows?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide