How long is Too Long? #638223 08/20/02 08:36 PM
W
whopperstopper Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
Hey all,
Just thought I would post a little question of opinion to see what you all think. My question is regarding fishing rods. I have heard lengthes up to 18 ft. I personally use a 15' ugly stick on the beach also. How long do you consider is too long? and what is your favorite length of rod?

here is a pic from this past weekend cranking in a shark. notice my 15' rod (LOTS OF HARD WORK)

------------------

TexSafaris Outdoor Adventures

[This message has been edited by whopperstopper (edited 08-20-2002).]

Re: How long is Too Long? #638224 08/22/02 02:21 AM
W
Wannabefishin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Wish I could say with some authority, but my longest rod is 9'6" (baitcasting). Not even close to the pole vault you use! I've seen your photos,Whopper. Gotta have a 20mm wideangle lens to get that thing in the picture! Ha! Hey, I'd say, "whatever works for you." As for me, I don't think I could handle anything over 12'. (But then, I've never tried). Those long sticks sure make for neat pictures though.

Re: How long is Too Long? #638225 08/22/02 05:09 PM
T
Tigershark Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
THe longest rod I use is a 12', and I am slightly disappointed with it because I can actually cast further on all my 10' rods. THe problem with the long rods is that you cannot cast a heavy bait if you are deep in the water because there is too much bend in the rod, and it will sometimes drag in the water. Also, with a long rod, you cannot horse the fish at all, making you very tired, and it can also make the fish die of shock. My favorite rod is a 10' ugly stick(for the money) or a custom Herrington 552 ((JUst Awesome). I see though that in your picture you use a spinning rod. I only use baitcasting, so if you use a spinning only, I guess longer is better, but the shorter you go, the more power you get.
By the way what did ya'll catch that day.

Re: How long is Too Long? #638226 08/22/02 07:32 PM
W
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
Hey Tigershark,
that is the longest of my rods.. I can cast it pretty well, but I can also yak baits out with that rig because it holds close to 600 yds mono/power pro combo. This rod will really whip you when you have to reel in a big fish because of the leverage the fish has on you... but there are a couple of advantages. The first one, and best, if there is weed in the first gut, this rod keeps the line high and out of the water for a ways... keeping it weed free longer. Also, while reeling a big fish, you can always anchor the butt in the ground and use it like a pivot. giving you lots of "horsepower". Like you I also have a 4/0 mounted on a 10 ft stick, and a longbeach 68 mounted on a 7 ft boat rod. I use all of them from the pier, jetties or beach.. but conditions decide which one works best on that day. I have a 6 foot bull shark to my credit with that big rod.. and numerous Bull Reds up to 35 lbs. I really appreciate your input and you make a good point!

------------------

Re: How long is Too Long? #638227 08/22/02 09:41 PM
P
progator115 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
whopper,I have purchased my surf rod,I chose the 10' heavy ugly stick bait casting($70.00)
picked a penn pearless#9 at a garage sale($15.00)cleaned re-oiled and put 25lb tri colored mono on it.went to the park with a 3-oz weight and practiced casting I am very pleased,luckily nobody got beaned.I will be giving you a update after my trip to spi mid sept.Thanks to you and Too and everybody else who has been a great help...Rex

Re: How long is Too Long? #638228 08/22/02 10:48 PM
W
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
I have that same stick Rex, and I think you will be happy with it. That is a good heavy duty rod for the price. I am sure you are going to getting into some bull reds too in sept on spi.

------------------

Re: How long is Too Long? #638229 08/23/02 03:22 AM
M
mdsalinas Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Man ya'll got me excited reading about all this surf fishing. Whopperstopper I really appreciate all the input you guys give. It makes for a really great site man. This is better than any mag I can go buy. I'm heading down to Surfside tomorrow night. I always say Surfside but actually its Folletts beach down by San Luis Pass. The fishing is excellent down there man. Marker 5 on Blue Water HWY is the spot. Rex I think you got an excellent setup. I don't have anything over 10 ft, but after seeing that picture of Whopperstopper with that 15 footer I am thinking of going to a longer rod. I am still going to SPI Rex maybe we can spend a day or night down at the surf. I don't consider myself a pro Rex but I have fished the texas coast my whole life so I do know a thing or two. I just love to fish and have a good time and have plenty of stories to tell. If you are ever in my neck of the woods and want to have a good time I am always ready to wet a hook. It is what I do.

Good luck to all!

Re: How long is Too Long? #638230 08/23/02 06:52 PM
P
progator115 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
MD
I am ready for freddy on spi surf fishin,can,t wait.Have you ever been to Louies back yard on spi?If not maybe we can take the wives and children if your bringing them.Great food mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.A evening surf fishing man am I ready,see ya there
maybe Too,whopper,crawdad,or any body else thats tff family can join us??Rex

Re: How long is Too Long? #638231 08/23/02 07:59 PM
W
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
Hey Rex, I havent fished SPI yet.. I have a buddy that has been trying to get me to go.. he fishes it quite regularly. I will be down on The Padre Island National Seashor (north padre) in October for The Surf Cats fishing Tournament. If you are interested in joining, you can print off a copy of the Entry form on my website, TexSafaris. Just go to the message board section. Good Luck!

------------------

Re: How long is Too Long? #638232 08/25/02 06:23 AM
P
progator115 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
whopper your friend that fishes s padre regulary can you get any info from him before i go?mdsalinas and I are going to hook up and try some fishin,I,m sure I will learn alot from him as I am such a rookie.md I will be arrivig 8-14 (afternoon)and leaving the 21st around noon.Will this work with you.Any one else down there during this time and loves to fish just email me.Whopper we would to have ya down if you can work it in......later Rex

Re: How long is Too Long? #638233 08/25/02 01:33 PM
TOO Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Rex, thanks for the compliment. I just saw your post here. I just hope that someone, somewhere will finally catch a fish with one of my suggestions even if its just a hardhead. I hope you meant on your post that you'll be heading down on 9-14. I was available on 8-14, but Sept 14th is taken with hunting business. But man I would love to go and pull some big reds and shark up on the beach. Yall catch a pretty fish with one of my suggestions, please! Have you eaten at Blackbeards? If not they got great food also.Man, have a great trip.
Hey, Wannabe, got to disagree, thats not a pole vault. We're going to call him Sir Whopperstopper. That thing is one of those joist that the Knights used back in the Middle Ages. I bet whopper could knock a blacktip off the 2nd sand bar on a charge with that. That's a cool picture. And I've been thinking of going surf fishing with my "heavy" 7 ft jetty pole! Talk about rod envy, mine would be a minnow! 15 ft!

Re: How long is Too Long? #638234 08/26/02 02:13 PM
W
Wannabefishin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
"Sir Whopper" it is, TOO. Ha! No need for line or bait, just a sharp tip. Whopper, I hope you have a good sense of humor! I'll add that if I'd have caught 1/3 the fish you've caught, I'd die a happy man. How long is too long? I'd have to think it varies individual to individual and can change as skills are improved. Obviously, there will come a point of diminishing return. If you are yakking out baits 75% of the time, a 12'- 15' pole may be a bit more than you need. From a pier, a looonnng pole may be a detriment as well. But for casting in knee deep water, they should shine (in the right hands). And, they make for great photos! There's my 2-bits worth. How 'bout it, Sir Whopper?

Re: How long is Too Long? #638235 08/26/02 02:28 PM
W
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
LOL... Sir Whopper! thats a good one... If you cant hookem.. stickem! LOL... thats entertaining! Looks like I was fishing for Crappie with my crappie pole and just happen to hook a bull shark! LOL

------------------

Re: How long is Too Long? #638236 08/26/02 06:11 PM
W
Wannabefishin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
"Sir Whopper of the Green Water" it is. (I hope you have a good sense of humor, Whopper).Ha! I guess it's up to the individual's skill level. I don't know that I could cast a 15' rod, though I've never tried. I know I can cast a 9'6" rod. And, I'm sure you reach a point of diminishing return. If you yak your baits 7 outta 10 times, is a long rod necessary? On a pier, is it better? There's give and take. I'm pretty sure Whopper was meaning as a surf rod only, though. I stil say....whatever works for you. How 'bout it Sir Whopper?

Re: How long is Too Long? #638237 08/26/02 06:29 PM
W
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
I have used it on the pier, but it is kind of a pain because of the length, and the piers dont like them that long either. It works great from the jetties because you can reel you line in high and keep it out of the rocks, and in the surf it is great too, because it keeps you line out of the first gut where most of the weed stays sometimes. But rest assured, what ever you crank in with it.. you are going to work for!! when it comes time to reeling, the shorter rods are definitely easier.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide