Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
How Many Stung By a Ray While Wading? #623295 06/10/05 08:25 PM
L
Little George Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
Just curious how many of yall have been hit by a ray while wading. How many of yall wear ray-proof boots? So far I've been lucky. After years of wading, I haven't been hit. But think of it a lot while wading. Condidered getting boots but haven't found any that are ray-proof...

Re: How Many Stung By a Ray While Wading? #623296 06/10/05 08:58 PM
S
spannymacker Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
I was stung for the first time this past winter in Tampa, FL (I recently moved to Pearland) I was barefoot and was wadefishin out in the sand. As long as you shuffle your feet your pretty safe from ray stings (in florida anyways). I was headed back to the shore to change tackle and wasn't shuffling and then WHAM!!!...OUCH!!! I got nailed by a small ray. He got me on the inside of my ankle ....was not a fun experience at all. was very painful for about 15 minutes...had to go to the hospital to get xrayed..to see if any of the spine was in my ankle....Even though shuffle feet is effective Im gonna make sure I have some good wadin shoes or boot from now on. smile

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more fishin'
Re: How Many Stung By a Ray While Wading? #623297 06/10/05 10:26 PM
B
bighead Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
An odd thing happened to me a few days ago out at Chandeleur Islands. One of the partys on the Islander Lodge left the day before us and my ray resistant boots got loaded on their plane. My son and I ended up wading the last day barefooted. It was nice not having those big boots on until I felt the flutter of either a flounder or ray by my foot. Kept shuffling and in about 10 yards my son and I both felt that flutter again. Can't be sure it was a ray but we were not taking any chances and got out of the water and moved to another spot. I've never been hit and want to keep it that way!

Re: How Many Stung By a Ray While Wading? #623298 06/12/05 02:40 AM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Watched my grandaddy get popped in the stomach by one he hoisted into the boat when I was a kid. Trip to the hospital and lots of pain that day for him.

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: How Many Stung By a Ray While Wading? #623299 06/12/05 06:08 PM
K
Keiser Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
K
When you are on a shell reef do you still need to shuffle your feet? I didn't know whether or not the rays actually lay on the shell they way they do in the sand.

Re: How Many Stung By a Ray While Wading? #623300 06/13/05 06:42 PM
K
Keith Stone! Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
K
I got popped in the top of the foot last year while wading the surf in Port A.

I was luck and it must of been a small one or it didn't get me that bad, it sunk in about 2-3 inches across the top of my foot going vertical to the sole so, it didn't go clear through my foot.

It hurt but, it wasn't end of the world type pain like I had experienced on other occasions during vehicle wrecks and such.

I didn't know how to treat it and placed an ice pack on it to see if that helped, nope. Tried walking it off and grinning and baring it for a while but, I ended up at the hospital in the long run. The magic solution was hot soapy water. I just had to soak my foot in water that was over 100 degrees in temp and that causes the stingray venom to disipate.

I wish I would of known that in the beginning, it would of saved my some grief and pain. The ice pack was the worst thing I could have done.

Re: How Many Stung By a Ray While Wading? #623301 06/13/05 09:34 PM
Larry Bozka Offline
Angler
Angler
Rays are awful when it comes to hurting you big-time. I just had a story on stingrays, and how to counter them and treat wounds, in Texas Parks & Wildlife Magazine. If you would like a copy, send me an e-mail to larry@blacksalty.com.

I wear leggings every time I wade ... especially because, as a photographer I have to do a lot of maneuvering when carrying a camera while wading. Rays will follow your footsteps, eating whatever food sources you kick up off the bottom, and stepping backwards is very risky.

I know, because I got hit while wading Port Mansfield back in 1989. I was, fortunately, wearing stingray leggings (back then, "Walk-N-Wades made by the late, great Paul Perrin). All I ended up with was a big, purple bruise on my shin. I shudder to think how bad it could have been had I not been wearing leggings.

Yeah, they create drag in the water, and aren't nearly so fun as wading with tennis shoes or, if you are crazy enough, barefoot. But it's just not worth taking the chance. I could name you two or three victims who would quickly verify that contention.

The best guards I know of are made by Billy Gerke of Hallettsville, TX. Go to www.foreverlast.com. It's the best (last I checked) $120 plus shipping a wade fisherman can spend.

One trip to the emergency room is more expensive than that. Not to mention, a hell of a lot less painful.

Be safe out there ...

Boz

Larry Bozka
Coastal Anglers
Contributing Writer/Saltwater - Tide Magazine, Texas Parks & Wildlife Magazine, Texas Sporting Journal
Re: How Many Stung By a Ray While Wading? #623302 06/15/05 02:35 PM
S
SeaPro-Todd Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
I waded at TC dike, chocolate bay, and galveston but luckily never got stung by one. Caught several though. Great fights.

Re: How Many Stung By a Ray While Wading? #623303 06/15/05 03:02 PM
N
nellayor Offline
Angler
Angler
N
I've always fished without ray guards in the past, but I bought some ray guard boots a few weeks ago. It was nice to have that peace of mind. Before I got them I spent a lot of my time in the water worrying about getting hit, but now I feel a lot safer. For $130, it is great insurance against getting hit. Getting hit good one time without them will definately cost a lot more that.

Re: How Many Stung By a Ray While Wading? #623304 06/15/05 04:16 PM
L
Little George Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
Quote:
Originally posted by nellayor:
I've always fished without ray guards in the past, but I bought some ray guard boots a few weeks ago. It was nice to have that peace of mind. Before I got them I spent a lot of my time in the water worrying about getting hit, but now I feel a lot safer. For $130, it is great insurance against getting hit. Getting hit good one time without them will definately cost a lot more that.
Nellayor, did you get the boots that are made by Foreverlast?

Re: How Many Stung By a Ray While Wading? #623305 06/15/05 04:24 PM
N
nellayor Offline
Angler
Angler
N
I got the Foreverlast at Academy. I like them a lot. I met a guy while wade fishing who had a pair and he told me he loved them. He also let me know that they do not have any drain holes, so he drilled two very small holes in his so the water will drain out when he gets out of the water. I haven't done that yet, but will before I go down this weekend. I beleive they are 119 + tax.

Re: How Many Stung By a Ray While Wading? #623306 06/15/05 04:36 PM
L
Little George Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
Quote:
Originally posted by nellayor:
I got the Foreverlast at Academy. I like them a lot. I met a guy while wade fishing who had a pair and he told me he loved them. He also let me know that they do not have any drain holes, so he drilled two very small holes in his so the water will drain out when he gets out of the water. I haven't done that yet, but will before I go down this weekend. I beleive they are 119 + tax.
I've been looking at those boots. I noticed on the Foreverlast's that I looked at at Academy did have small holes drilled in them. Let me know how those work out for you...

Re: How Many Stung By a Ray While Wading? #623307 06/15/05 04:44 PM
N
nellayor Offline
Angler
Angler
N
I've used them about 7-8 times now and the water hasn't been draining out. I'll check them out a little closer tonight when I get home. Even still I will probably add some holes since they haven't been draining. I will let you know how the homemade holes work after the weekend.

Re: How Many Stung By a Ray While Wading? #623308 06/15/05 10:31 PM
R T Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Been stuck twice once barefoot(what a dumba$$) and once through booties. Now I pole if I fish the flats.

It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprachaun.
Re: How Many Stung By a Ray While Wading? #623309 06/16/05 03:00 AM
T
txfishermann Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Most people do not relize how painful a stingray can be. I luckly have never been hit by one. One time we were surf fishing and a guy down the beach caught a big one and brought the barb down for us to look at. He set the thing in my hand and I forgot I had a small cut one my hand. Man it felt like my hand was on fire for about 30 minutes.

The main thing to remember is do not put ice or anything cold on it PUT VERY HOT WATER ON IT.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide