Parking on roads/Under bridges #6227536 05/25/11 05:34 PM
M
MikeTbob Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Hey fellow fisherpersons!
I know several areas I would like to scout and fish but I'm sorta afraid I might get towed or ticketed and there isn't hardly any other place to park and still get to the water. I have seen no signs at all regarding parking under the bridge, which is where I want to fish.
I know a lot of us do quiet a bit of hiking and scouting and parking your vehicles while doing so, but one thing in particular I want to ask you all. Do you just park on the side of the road as long as there is no "No parking" signs? What about under a bridge? Is it normally okay to hop a curb and park under a bridge in the grass or dirt? I know it's usually a good idea to keep your vehicle out of the road but sometimes it just isn't possible. I know sometimes it just depends on the police officer, if one shows up. Has anyone been ticketed/harassed while trying to park and fish?

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Parking on roads/Under bridges [Re: MikeTbob] #6227576 05/25/11 05:45 PM
G
gamedog Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
it will depend on the property owner. Is it txdot property under the bridge, is it a public roadway (traffic hazard) or is it private property. It all comes down to what the complaint is if any

Re: Parking on roads/Under bridges [Re: MikeTbob] #6227577 05/25/11 05:45 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Super Topic "MikeTbob". First of all your are 100 percent right. If there is a no parking sign posted then don't park. If there is no sign make sure you are at least 20 feet off of the roadway. I have found safe ample parking under bridges or on the side of bridges. Also look for feeder roads that run next to bridges and bodies of water. You can find some safe spots off of the feeder roads. Remember to look for no trespassing signs and do block any roadway or easement. If you can remember park 20 feet from the roadway, park in a safe spot, there are no parking or trespassing signs evident, and do not block easements you will be Ok. I have heard of anglers who have still gotten tickets or towed off by doing all the above. There are always going to be exceptions to the rule. So far I have not had any problems. Again super topic. Hope you get some good feed back.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Parking on roads/Under bridges [Re: banker-always fishing] #6227653 05/25/11 06:09 PM
M
MikeTbob Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: gamedog
it will depend on the property owner. Is it txdot property under the bridge, is it a public roadway (traffic hazard) or is it private property. It all comes down to what the complaint is if any

Thanks for the feedback gamedog, I think it's all DOT roadway, it's basically a turn-around point of a service road that ends because of the water. Now, off to the sides are private property, it's posted and barb wire fenced. I have no intentions of fishing that part but the part I want to fish is directly under a freeway "overpass", it's not even really a bridge. No signs, no warnings..........just fishy looking water.

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Super Topic "MikeTbob". First of all your are 100 percent right. If there is a no parking sign posted then don't park. If there is no sign make sure you are at least 20 feet off of the roadway. I have found safe ample parking under bridges or on the side of bridges. Also look for feeder roads that run next to bridges and bodies of water. You can find some safe spots off of the feeder roads. Remember to look for no trespassing signs and do block any roadway or easement. If you can remember park 20 feet from the roadway, park in a safe spot, there are no parking or trespassing signs evident, and do not block easements you will be Ok. I have heard of anglers who have still gotten tickets or towed off by doing all the above. There are always going to be exceptions to the rule. So far I have not had any problems. Again super topic. Hope you get some good feed back.

Thanks for the reply BAF, the good feedback has already begun. smile I didn't think of the 20 foot rule, good advice and I remember hearing this somewhere before. I think there is enough room to park 20 feet from the roadway. Anyone else got anything to discuss?

Last edited by MikeTbob; 05/25/11 06:10 PM. Reason: Typo

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Parking on roads/Under bridges [Re: MikeTbob] #6227756 05/25/11 06:32 PM
M
MsSunfishDelight Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
So far I have had no problems when I pull off the side of the road to scout or fish. However, I do tend to stay within sight of my vehicle when I do it so that may play a role.

If the area looks like it might be private property I ALWAYS go to the nearest home to ask the property owner for permission and have NEVER been turned away when I've done that. In fact I've always been thanked for the courtesy of asking and in many cases have had the property owner offer to let me drive on their property in order to park closer to the water.

I have driven off-road to get under bridges and underpasses a few times, sometimes it was easier to do than others but again have never had a problem other than often finding the fishing not to be quite what I hoped it would be. I have never pulled off the side of a busy roadway/highway and walked out of sight of my vehicle in order to fish, though, so I cannot speak to whether or not that would be an issue to a peace officer.

I hope your spot works out well for you!

Last edited by MsSunfishDelight; 05/25/11 06:33 PM.

Everyone has to believe in something - I believe I'll go fishing!
Re: Parking on roads/Under bridges [Re: MsSunfishDelight] #6227965 05/25/11 07:21 PM
G
gamedog Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
You could always leave a note inside the vehicle or on the dash stating what you are doing with your contact information if there ever was a question about the vehicle

Re: Parking on roads/Under bridges [Re: gamedog] #6228400 05/25/11 08:43 PM
J
jagg Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
I agree with what all the others have said. I've pulled off the road and under bridges to fish. Be careful if it's raining heavy or if their is a flash flood warning. Some of those overpasses catch A LOT of water when it rains pretty good. Sometimes TDOT puts up signs, but often they don't. I park behind barricades when ever I can. You'd be surprised how many land owners will let you fish from their banks. They'll even let you know what species are there and what they're biting on. Up in Tuber country is a different story. There's a lot of folks up there who charge big bucks for bank access and pressure their neighbors not to allow free access. I don't normally leave a note when I park under a bridge or on the side of the road if I'm gonna be within eye sight of the truck for the most part. I always try stay within ear shot of my truck unless I know I'm gonna be covering some water. A lot of theives will see a note as an invite. But, if I'm gonna walk/wade for a long distance or take the canoe up stream, I'll leave a note and try to park behind cover. I started doing that after a friend from TPWD took me creek prowling a few times. He says most law enforcement is cool with it, as long as you answer when they call out if they come to the bank. They don't like to be surprised.

Hide any valuables or anything that might look valuable to a thief. They are definitely out there. When you get to a spot, ask your self, "Do I really feel safe leaving my vehicle here?" If you have any hesitations, find a better place to park or a different stretch of the creek. That's my 2cents

Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless His Holy Name!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBzsXYK-44H5uEUe3WXjmLg
Re: Parking on roads/Under bridges [Re: jagg] #6229693 05/26/11 01:01 AM
M
MikeTbob Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Good solid advice everyone. Thanks for the replies.Lot's of good stuff here.

Re: Parking on roads/Under bridges [Re: MikeTbob] #6231616 05/26/11 02:32 PM
A
Aquiles Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
I know the feeling I would love to scout the origins and trail the south mesquite creek but most of it doesn't seem to be accessible I know from the small areas I can get to that it is full of bass but how to get to the rest of it ...Look it up somtime guys it goes on forever if you can try to get to a piece of it .

Re: Parking on roads/Under bridges [Re: Aquiles] #6231629 05/26/11 02:37 PM
A
Aquiles Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
You know guys I would worry more about thieves then the police .. last week a friend of mine got a flat during one of those bad rain storms and of course her spare was flat too .. called anouther friend to get to a tire shop . they were gone 2 hours tops and when they came back all four tires were gone and the interior was stripped.

Re: Parking on roads/Under bridges [Re: Aquiles] #6231719 05/26/11 03:04 PM
T
tworod Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
I personally have not had an issue with it but watched a truck get pulled over exiting over at the colony on Main where people drive down and fish all the time by the bridge, instead of using the path most people drive on he decided to go up the hill to the road and just so happened to be a sherriff there and got pulled over.

Re: Parking on roads/Under bridges [Re: gamedog] #6234910 05/27/11 12:24 PM
J
joe in livingston Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Originally Posted By: gamedog
You could always leave a note inside the vehicle or on the dash stating what you are doing with your contact information if there ever was a question about the vehicle

+1 thats what i do in an unfamiliar spot

Re: Parking on roads/Under bridges [Re: joe in livingston] #6236682 05/27/11 08:55 PM
D
docfishes Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Mike Tbob
I am not sure on the parking laws in texas they can really
be twisted to fit the need of anyone wanting cite you or harrass you.
Call the highway patrol,the sherriff dept and the local city police and ask them . Then ask them to tell you where to find the law they cite you, make a copy and keep it with you.
Something I did notice is your wanting to just fish under the bridge.
Take a life jacket and and get a tube hit the water under the bridge and you can float up and down the stream as long as you do not touch the ground. Exception is an emergency,I understand
you can then touch the ground
Sometimes the ground under the water is considered private property even on lakes and rivers. ll waters in the State of Texas are public
not trying to hijack your post
A

Last edited by docfishes; 05/27/11 08:59 PM. Reason: add info

MAY THE SUN SHINE ON YOUR FACE IN THE MORNING AND YOU AWAKE WITH A SMILE THAT YOU HAVE BEEN RESPECTFUL TO SOMEONE
Re: Parking on roads/Under bridges [Re: docfishes] #6237775 05/28/11 03:24 AM
M
MikeTbob Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: docfishes
Mike Tbob
I am not sure on the parking laws in texas they can really
be twisted to fit the need of anyone wanting cite you or harrass you.
Call the highway patrol,the sherriff dept and the local city police and ask them . Then ask them to tell you where to find the law they cite you, make a copy and keep it with you.
Something I did notice is your wanting to just fish under the bridge.
Take a life jacket and and get a tube hit the water under the bridge and you can float up and down the stream as long as you do not touch the ground. Exception is an emergency,I understand
you can then touch the ground
Sometimes the ground under the water is considered private property even on lakes and rivers. ll waters in the State of Texas are public
not trying to hijack your post
A

Good advice, and I don't think your trying to hijack this thread....it's all related. I do have a float tube, so I might try that idea.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide