Print Thread
Corpus area help #619456 12/14/03 11:28 PM
F
fishinman Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
F
Will be heading down to Corpus area over holidays to visit relatives--Any advice for this North Texas fisherman on wetting a hook down there? t
Thanks

Re: Corpus area help #619457 12/15/03 02:31 AM
P
pscottjr Offline
Angler
Angler
P
The weather will effect where and what you will fish for. Also, what do you want to catch. From a article in the S.A. Express News the flounder have started to move. Sheephead are also moving.

What dates are you planning to go down?

bobaloo1, should be able to help you as you get closer to the dates. The fronts are coming weekly and this will effect the fishing (both godd and bad)

Scottie

Re: Corpus area help #619458 12/16/03 10:04 AM
bobaloo1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Hope I can help...just got back from Port A...caught a 45"x31" black drum, a couple of flounder in the 3# range and that was it...except for junk fish. Saw a few nice sheepshead caught - so you are right Scottie, everything is starting to make a move. I will leave the "Corpus" areas to those that know them better, as I usually only go to the Island. Do tell us what you prefer to fish for and we'll try to help...the areas right down town on Shoreline have been OK lately, Indian Point Pier @ Portland will fire up soon for drum...what area will be closest to you?

Re: Corpus area help #619459 12/16/03 06:15 PM
F
fishinman Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
F
Will be going down the week after Xmas--Can fish any of those areas--But, am a rookie when it comes to salt water--Would the piers be a good place to start or the jetties at Port Aransas--I'm flexible, just want to give it a try--Thanks for the help guys--

Re: Corpus area help #619460 12/16/03 07:16 PM
F
fishinman Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
F
Will be going down the week after Xmas--Can fish any of the areas mentioned, I'm pretty flexible--Reallly "rookie" to the saltwater
fishing so any advice is helpful--Should I fish the piers available or go to the "jetties"--Thanks

Re: Corpus area help #619461 12/16/03 10:48 PM
bobaloo1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Assuming you aren't taking a boat...so it's one of the two you listed unless you bring waders and want to try that. This time of the year the piers are the best bet, IMHO. If you aren't experienced on the jetty I would leave this alone or fish on the surf side to avoid hangups on the channel side. Anyway, email me just before you go and I will have current info. and can give you a better idea of what is happening. There are several piers on the way to Port A. from Corpus that can be very good at times also.

Re: Corpus area help #619462 12/24/03 02:36 AM
A
adrock Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
if you wanna fish the jetties one way to do it is to tie on one of those leaders with a swivel at the top, one or two of the clips in the middle and a clip at the bottom.what i do is put hooks on the two clips in the middle than tie about a foot of lite line(6 lb) at the bottom than one of those spider wheigths at the end with the copper strands
flattend out to make it as big as possible this will help keep it from falling inbetween the rocks then just keep the line tight and wait.if it does get hung then you can just break the line that goes to the weight and tie on another.also you can fish live shrimp under a poping cork(3 to 5 ft) and let it drift down the rocks to catch sheepshead(one of the best tastin fish in the gulf in my mind).good luck ! ill be down the day after xmas and cant hardly think straight.

Re: Corpus area help #619463 12/24/03 12:26 PM
bobaloo1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Well - almost time. Adrock is right about how to fish the jetty...floats for live bait..leaders with weights for cut bait (cast as far out as you can get) and soft plastics worked early and late close to the rocks for trout (just like you would for bass). Without me writing a book if you want to try Port A, you might be just as well off going to Horace Caldwell pier in addition to the jetty. Fish the bottom with cut bait (perch is best right now, IMO) or live shrimp...mostly whiting, gafftop, specs and sand trout, pompano, black/red drum)- dollar a person and dollar a rod...jetty is free but no bathroom facilities. Live shrimp are 15 cents each, live mud minnows and pin perch are $4-6 a dozen, etc...not sure what dead shrimp is...I just use what others leave lying around. The key is tide movement...too strong and you can't keep a bait stationary...try to catch it barely moving. If you want to try for sheepshead and black drum I would go to Station Street pier (anyone can give you directions)...cast cut bait off the left end of the T as far as you can into the ship channel, put in a hold in the rail and just wait. While waiting, use dead/live shrimp dropped straight down around the pilings for sheepshead and flounder. Watch those around you...they'll show you the ropes. When the big rod out in the channel bends it will probably be one of the following: hardhead, gafftop, stingray, red/black drum. I have caught red snapper and trigger fish here also - so don't be surprised at anything. Repeat this at any of the other piers and eventually you will catch something. REMEMBER: The game wardens work the Corpus/Port A area heavily...know size limits, etc. and make sure you have a salt water stamp...and tag any reds over 28" if you plan to keep them. Port A Piers: Charlie's Pasture, Robert's Point and Station Street are almost together and FREE...anyone can give you directions and they are easy to find...concrete parking, bathrooms - doesn't get much easier and you will catch something at one or all of them. Everyone fishing down there now is serious...and they will give you more help than you probably want - I promise. Tight lines and post - especially if you get a big one!!

Re: Corpus area help #619464 12/27/03 10:31 PM
R
Ranger R Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
May want to keep an eye on this website: http://www.caller.com/ccct/fishing/article/0,1641,CCCT_867_2531294,00.html
Current Corpus Christi Fishing Report. You cannot go wrong fishing under lights at night or fishing the jetties....

Or look at this report on Winter Fishing. http://www.caller.com/ccct/recreation_columnists/article/0,1641,CCCT_868_2503917,00.html

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide