Forums59
Topics1,041,866
Posts14,008,050
Members144,270
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: Devil Horse] #6087464 04/19/11 05:53 PM
R
Randy Harrell Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Well, for me, it took several years for me to finally realize that the boat and equipent does not make the fisherman. A bigger, faster boat will get you to a spot faster and dryer than my 17' Xpress will. The difference for me and the other boat is mine is now paid for vs if I had bought the bigger boat that I looked at I would still owe around $9K. I don't have SI or DI or even GPS or Color LCD graphs. I do have a 2001 model hand held GPS though that was given to me. I have an Eagle 480. I have some cheaper Allstar rods and Bass Pro extreme Reels.

I said that to say this. I would love to have newer updated technology. The truth is that it is not in my budget. I can afford a lot more than I have now. I simply cannot put my family in potential financial jeopardy so that I can look good, or go faster on the water. I do believe that technology helps to bridge the gap between experience and novice. However, there is still no substitute for time on the water. Technology may help people to find more fish, but it cannot make them catch 'em.

Set the hook first, ask questions later!!!
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: Randy Harrell] #6087709 04/19/11 06:50 PM
Z
Zipster Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Z
I can relate to many of the posts on here. I drool over the new boats, but no way am I making that payment!

Too many people these days do not think from an ownership standpoint; its all about what can I afford to pay each month. Financial insolvency is rampant in our country, especially among our youth. The " I want it now" attitude is destroying the fabric of what made our country strong. I see so many $30k Millionaires today, the industry is merely catering to it.

Gas is no different. Once we crossed the $3.00/gal line, I was surprised to see it drop below it. WE tolerated it and still continued to use to excess. They keep raising the bar, and we keep jumping over it. Why should they stop?

This is not a political rant or pointed towards anyone. It is my opinion , that's all. I chose to raise my kids on the pay as you go philosophy that I was raised on; instead of the Credit is king philosophy.

Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: Zipster] #6087979 04/19/11 07:54 PM
C
Crank-B8 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
I hear ya'!

All the reasons that people listed above is exactly why I recently decided to purchase a membership to some private lakes about 45 minutes from my house.

The price for the lakes is $140 a month and I don't have to worry about a boat (the lakes provide boats), gas for the boat, insurance, maintenance or anything else.

It's not the same as hooking up the rig and heading to your favorite reservoir, but not having to make all those payments is worth it (at this stage in my life, anyway). Plus, with the lakes being just a short drive from my house, I'm fishing a lot more than I would if I had to trailer a few hours to get to a "serious" body of water.

I just load up my rods and tackle, go fish for about 6 or 8 hours and come home. No loading and unloading the boat, no cleanup... just FISHING.

The whole idea of having to own a 50k-plus boat, Power-Poles, $20 lures and 5k worth of electronics is a marketing phenomenon driven by pros and tournaments, I think. Don't get me wrong, if I had the money to spend I'd have all those toys, but in the end it comes down to what gets you on the water and enjoying the sport as much as you can.

Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: Cloud Dancer] #6088329 04/19/11 09:11 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted By: Cloud Dancer
The fact is that "the economy" is in much worst trouble than we realize. Otherwise, there would be a Ranger dealer in a big city like San Antonio. They're just not selling very many $70K bassboats.
Personally, I've always save up the money first, and paid cash for all my toys, including small aircraft. My last significant 'toy' that I ordered was my 41 ft diesel pusher motorhome(back in 2003). My last new bassboat was my 1990 Ranger.
Today, I'm a retired senior citizen who nobody will hire(as a commercial pilot). Heck, I can't even afford all the fuel that I want. I'm tired of "cutting back", BUT grateful that I even have a boat. My days of buying stuff are over, but I still go fishing. By launching close to the "fishing hole", I only burn a few gallons of gas.

Isn't Travis boating center a Ranger dealer? San Antonio is the worst place for a fishing boat dealership because there are no good lakes around. Anchor marine just left. The economy is fine, except gas is putting the hurt back on it. Have you been to Del Rio? Not nearly as large as SA but it has 2 boat dealerships.

Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: Crank-B8] #6088398 04/19/11 09:25 PM
H
HitmanFO Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
I'm laughing all the way back to the house when I take my old 19' Champion bass boat with "hand me down" electronics, old Mercury 150, repaired/rebuilt trolling motor, etc. etc. etc., and fish a tournament and come home with some money, while these guys in their brand new 21ft Champions/Rangers/Skeeters/BassCats that costs most of my yearly salary come up with nothing. I don't fish to show off my gear; I fish to get away from "life" and relieve some stress and hopefully get a little paycheck to help cover the cost sometimes.

I'm just like everyone else on this forum though - if I had a hundred thousand dollars to blow on a boat and gear, I'd have the baddest, latest bass boat with the best electronics money could buy and the most awesome rods and reels and lures and all that! Not saying I don't dream and drool... I'm just satisfied with what I have, and I'm going to live with what I have until I can COMFORTABLY afford to upgrade!

I'm not knocking you guys that can afford it, either... you work hard for your money, and if that's how you choose to spend your money, GREAT!

Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: HitmanFO] #6088434 04/19/11 09:34 PM
DFW-fisherman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Right on HitmanFO! It is very nice to enjoy the sport, or put food on the table, and sip a cold one - whatever your choice! I finally upgradded last year (to a new 2007 Ranger) after returning from five years in Germany and am now trying to relearn the sport!

Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: DFW-fisherman] #6088669 04/19/11 10:32 PM
C
cman Offline
Angler
Angler
C
All the boat prices suck. Buy used, they don't catch fish one way or the other better. You don't need 6k in electornics either. Doesn't suprise PE wants to jack you around with the prices and there whole business model etc... Just buy what you can afford, no sense of being stupid paying for [censored] and then suffering later because of it.

Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: cman] #6088776 04/19/11 11:01 PM
Big Red 12 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
It is going to get worse before it gets better. Could be in the Tank!

Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: Big Red 12] #6088814 04/19/11 11:13 PM
D
Danno71 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
We got out of racing just over a year ago. Got back into fishing, bought a new bass boat and equipment.

Although I was shocked to see what fishing costs these days, we are actually saving money fishing over racing. Could always be worse. Hobbies cost thats for sure. My boat payment dosn't even come close to the monthly up-keep on a race car.

Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: Danno71] #6089041 04/20/11 12:22 AM
S
sexyshad Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
I can't afford to fish honestly with the prices being as high as they are. You buy a bag of worms 3.99 and thats for 8 worms. Everyone is talking about boats and graphs but what about the baits. Once you buy the new boat and graph you still have to have baits to fish with and the baits are getting ridiculous I dont have a nice boat and have no payments on it but gas is enough of a payment if you ask me. I love to bass fish and fish tournaments but how can the average joe do it b,c thats what I am.

Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: Zach Caudle] #6089305 04/20/11 01:32 AM
E
Easy Fisherman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
Things are changing and fishing cost are geting higher and higher and in Southeast Texas we are running out of water to boot.In some cases some people are chasing the wind and all they will end up catching is Mr Debt

Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: Easy Fisherman] #6089455 04/20/11 02:10 AM
F
Fish AKA Jerry Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
I went to bass pro today a walked out with a tiny bag of baits and a spool of line. The price...$106.00....WTF I thought to myself. Just one spool of flouro was $20.00. My dad would have wipped my butt when I was a kid if I spent his 20 on a spool of line for Gods sake.This equipment thing is getting ridiculous too.I think I will catch more fish if I spend more money...?? What am I thinking??

FREYED KNOT

Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: Easy Fisherman] #6089496 04/20/11 02:22 AM
T
TheRedTorpedo Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I fish from an 8' Bass Raider, I bought it new with my first profit sharing check. Then about 3-4 months later I got a $100 TM as an anniversary gift from my wife. Then a couple more months I bought a battery. I use mid level gear and only buy things I need. I never buy anything if the money isn't available. I get some funny looks from people at the ramp, but I catch plenty of fish. Maybe someday I will upgrade, but only if I can afford it comfortably. I get alot of comments/questions on my rig at the ramps, I never forget to mention that it costs alot less to charge the battery than it does to fill a gas tank!!

Cliff

Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: TheRedTorpedo] #6089670 04/20/11 02:56 AM
Lake Fork Guide Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
It's outrageous if you don't get it put into check quick, I have spent month after month fishing and half on the road fishing new lakes and use to find myself always needing something and would always find it and a 100 extra in stuff.. Now I just make do unless I get on a killer bite, I will but enough to get me thru the full competition.

Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: Zach Caudle] #6089711 04/20/11 03:04 AM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Its a waste of time and energy worrying about what the next guy has. Be happy with what you have and just worry about your limits not someone else's.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide