Print Thread
Destin FL jetties and piers #6051336 04/10/11 03:29 AM
A
adam darling Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
anything and everything i need to know about fishing them grin im going at the end of may
thanks-adam

Re: Destin FL jetties and piers [Re: adam darling] #6051594 04/10/11 06:41 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
You can access them by going past the bridge (east from Ft Walton to Destin) about a mile, turn right and drive up the peninsula. Alot of the area is private but you can access the jetties from there. I think there is a parking lot. A lot of activity happens in that pass. Mackeral move through there regularly. I have heard people catching tarpon from the beach but I haven't seen any caught. You can fish the bay but I haven't been up there fishing in about 40 years. I don't know much about the bay area. If you want a charter, see Scott Robson on the pheonix. I have been out with him and had a pretty good time. He has a good size boat and we weathered 6ft seas pretty well. I don't know much about the Ft Walton side of the pass. I never see anyone over there and I think it is off limits. You can also cruise down to Panama City and fish the jetties in the state park. I have fished there on and off since the mid sixties. It seems like the jetties were a lot longer back then but I was a lot shorter also. Saw a guy catch a 40 or so pound redfish off that jetty in a rainstorm. He fought him for a good while. If you have your own boat and need bait there is usually a guy about a mile out that nets bait and sells it to the charter captains. If you catch something edible and need a place to cook it the restaruant at the marina (harborwalk marina) will cook your catch however you want it at lunch time. It is a tourist place but the food is pretty good. We always stay at the condos on the beach (jettys east, i think). That gives you walking access to the beach and jetties. Good luck, fun and let us know how you did.

Last edited by jnd59; 04/10/11 06:42 AM.

I fish on a 14 ft piece of plastic.
Re: Destin FL jetties and piers [Re: jnd59] #6052589 04/10/11 06:26 PM
A
adam darling Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
thanks jnd59! thats alotta great information! i dont have a boat and i know almost nothing about insore fishing but from what iv seen and heard i can probly manage a few fish
thanks-adam

Re: Destin FL jetties and piers [Re: adam darling] #6058340 04/12/11 01:51 AM
T
Texas9 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
If you want to catch fish in the Destin area, I suggest going to Okaloosa Isand pier in Ft Walton Beach. It is only about 15 minute drive from Destin. I'll outline what you should do based on the type of fish will be there at the end of may.

Spanish Mackeral- Medium sized fast darting fish, good to eat if eaten before frozen. Use shiny lures such as gotcha plugs and spoons. Another great lure is the bubble rig that they sell at the pier. The bubble rig floats, so youll want to skip it across the water as fast as possible, making as much splash as possible. Jerk the gotcha plug as fast as possible at a depth of 2-15 feet. The best pace to catch these fish is 2/3 out to the end of the pier on the west side. A bass rod is perfect for these fish.

Blufish- Same as above

Ladyfish-same as above. Not good to eat. Great shark bait

Hardtail- Same as above. Smaller ones are great bait.

King Mackerel- Large fish. Anywhere from 10-50 lbs. A large reel with at least 300 yards of line and a hefty rod is needed. Use a steel leader with a J hook in the front and a treble hook in the back. Hook the J hook in the nose of the bait and the treble in the tail. You can buy frozen cigar minnows at the pier, or catch your own. Snobble your bait across the top of the water at a medium speed. (Snobble means twitch across the top using a twitch, twitch, pause... twitch, twitch, pause method.) Best opportunity is at the end of the pier.

Cobia- Most of the cobia will be gone by the end of May, however there may still be some around. Use the same rod described for kings, and a cobia jig. These can be bought at the tackle shop in destin, and tip it with a piece of squid, which can be bought at the pier. Best opportunity at the end of the pier, or along the gut halfway out.

Bait- Use a sibiki rig (can be bought at pier) and jig it up and down around the pilings.

If you want to wade the shallower parts of the bay, throw a bone color Zara Spook (topwater) or a white minnow imitation such as the zoom saltwater fluke or the strike king redfish majic. This should land you a couple of redfish or trout.

You can also catch sharks from the end of the pier at night. Just rig up a ladyfish, or any cut bait, toss it out, and hold on.

One last thing, fishing from the pier you DONT need a liscence, however wade fishing, fishing from the jetties, or fishing from the beach you DO need a liscnece.

Hope this helps,
Ben

Last edited by Texas9; 04/12/11 01:53 AM.
Re: Destin FL jetties and piers [Re: Texas9] #6058601 04/12/11 02:35 AM
A
adam darling Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
thanks texas9! i acualy walked that pier when i went to ft. walton for a day trip on saturday! it looked good but it seemed kinda over fished? there were tons of people.

Last edited by adam darling; 04/12/11 02:36 AM.
Re: Destin FL jetties and piers [Re: adam darling] #6058787 04/12/11 03:08 AM
T
Texas9 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
It is crowded, but it consistantly produces fish. It is less crowded in the early morning and during the week.

Last edited by Texas9; 04/12/11 03:09 AM.
Re: Destin FL jetties and piers [Re: Texas9] #6058892 04/12/11 03:37 AM
A
adam darling Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
okay thanks!

Re: Destin FL jetties and piers [Re: Texas9] #6059700 04/12/11 01:40 PM
M
Manchu Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
M
Originally Posted By: Texas9
If you want to catch fish in the Destin area, I suggest going to Okaloosa Isand pier in Ft Walton Beach. It is only about 15 minute drive from Destin. I'll outline what you should do based on the type of fish will be there at the end of may.

Spanish Mackeral- Medium sized fast darting fish, good to eat if eaten before frozen. Use shiny lures such as gotcha plugs and spoons. Another great lure is the bubble rig that they sell at the pier. The bubble rig floats, so youll want to skip it across the water as fast as possible, making as much splash as possible. Jerk the gotcha plug as fast as possible at a depth of 2-15 feet. The best pace to catch these fish is 2/3 out to the end of the pier on the west side. A bass rod is perfect for these fish.

Blufish- Same as above

Ladyfish-same as above. Not good to eat. Great shark bait

Hardtail- Same as above. Smaller ones are great bait.

King Mackerel- Large fish. Anywhere from 10-50 lbs. A large reel with at least 300 yards of line and a hefty rod is needed. Use a steel leader with a J hook in the front and a treble hook in the back. Hook the J hook in the nose of the bait and the treble in the tail. You can buy frozen cigar minnows at the pier, or catch your own. Snobble your bait across the top of the water at a medium speed. (Snobble means twitch across the top using a twitch, twitch, pause... twitch, twitch, pause method.) Best opportunity is at the end of the pier.

Cobia- Most of the cobia will be gone by the end of May, however there may still be some around. Use the same rod described for kings, and a cobia jig. These can be bought at the tackle shop in destin, and tip it with a piece of squid, which can be bought at the pier. Best opportunity at the end of the pier, or along the gut halfway out.

Bait- Use a sibiki rig (can be bought at pier) and jig it up and down around the pilings.

If you want to wade the shallower parts of the bay, throw a bone color Zara Spook (topwater) or a white minnow imitation such as the zoom saltwater fluke or the strike king redfish majic. This should land you a couple of redfish or trout.

You can also catch sharks from the end of the pier at night. Just rig up a ladyfish, or any cut bait, toss it out, and hold on.

One last thing, fishing from the pier you DONT need a liscence, however wade fishing, fishing from the jetties, or fishing from the beach you DO need a liscnece.

Hope this helps,
Ben

just got back from whacking spanish maks on that pier. watch out for the gangs of roaving cobia chasers when they spot one. they'll run you over trying to bomb it with jigs. a guy caught a 90 lber the same day we were there and get your fish in quick before flipper gets it

Re: Destin FL jetties and piers [Re: Manchu] #6059774 04/12/11 01:57 PM
R
Razzorduck Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Rent a kayak troll a small spoon for hardtails, ladyfish and spanish. Hook up hardtail with a steel leader or 80lb floro and slow troll outside of last bar early for smoker king macs. This IS the most fun you can have.

Razzorduck
Better tighten that drag boy, He's gonna spool ya!
Re: Destin FL jetties and piers [Re: Razzorduck] #6066021 04/13/11 10:03 PM
A
adam darling Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
thanks guys!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide