Page 1 of 2 1 2
Trinity River south of Beach St./I-30?? #578756 05/31/05 07:49 PM
A
ALLANGT Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
A
Anyone ever fishid the Trinity just south of I-30 on Beach St??? Looks kinds good from the street.

Re: Trinity River south of Beach St./I-30?? #578757 06/01/05 12:10 PM
T
T- Gil Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I think the river is North of I-30 there? Not that it matters, just making sure I knew where you were talking about? I've never fished that stretch, but way upstream around Bryant Irvin road and all the way down to the Hulen street bridge is where I taught myself to fish. I caught my first 5lb. bass by what is now the Lockheed Rec. Area. It must have been 25 years or so ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday. I caught it on a "crabapple" Salty Sensation. I don't know if they even still make them. Anyway, I caught tons of bass, perch,channel catfish, one Hybrid and would catch BIG carp when I just wanted a good fight. I'm sure the area you're talking about is holding fish. Did you know there is a boat ramp close by?

[Linked Image]

TEAM HUMDINGER

1st teach a child to love God, teach him second to love Family, 3rd teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. CC

"Una Stamus"
Re: Trinity River south of Beach St./I-30?? #578758 06/01/05 08:59 PM
A
ALLANGT Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
A
yeah it is north of 30...lol
sorry..I can be a lil stupid sometimes. laugh

Didn't see a boat ramp, but I don't have a boat anyway. Just a float tube. Thinking about fishing that area tomorrow afternoon if the river isn't flooded to bad from last nights storms.

Re: Trinity River south of Beach St./I-30?? #578759 06/02/05 01:30 AM
Starless Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T - Gil - How big is a BIG carp? I've always thought the Trinity looked like it should have some good numbers of carp and buffalo, and maybe some big fish in there too.

The Harder the Fight, the Better the Fish.

www.TXfishes.com - Texas Multi-Species Angling ( Multi-Species Tournament: Sign up now! )

www.atdot.com Now featuring fantastic photography.

www.dfwhops.com ( All your DFW Beer news and info in one spot! )
Re: Trinity River south of Beach St./I-30?? #578760 06/02/05 02:03 AM
R
Ratmo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Hey Allangt,I grew up in the area, used to fish there alot for carp and the fight.They put a dam in there just east of Beach st. and if you will go down to where the river makes its first bend, just east of the dam, that is where we used to catch carp by the herds.I wouldnt eat anything that you catch out of there, but just for the fight its pretty good.

Re: Trinity River south of Beach St./I-30?? #578761 06/03/05 01:57 AM
P
PollyWog Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
P
I was raised in the Trinity River bottom near where Dowdy Ferry Road crosses the Trinity. Every year we were flooded and could catch carp by hand in the pasture behind the house. My dad never let us kids fish the river because the banks were so slick and the fish so big. My dad fished for gar and I've seen him pulled through the mud many a time, even with his heels digging in, only to have too cut his line or go swimming.
The biggest gar he ever landed there was over two hundred pounds, his cotton scales only had that much weight on them so we could only guess at anything over that. My dad shot it in the head three times that evening and it was still alive and trying to snap at you the next morning. I guess he missed the little brain in that dinosaur. His normal fishing spot was just a few yards downstream from the Dowdy Ferry Bridge. Another spot is beneath intersate loop just a couple of miles upstream. There used to be a old gravel pit just north of the bridge and you could drive down to it then walk on down to the river. A small stream ran into the river from the gravel pit and it was always a good place to catch bait and watch those giant gar roll the water. The world record r&r gar was caught near here. I seen some that looked like logs rolling and longer than our flat bottom boat. I never did get hooked on gar fishing, I guess seeing daddy nearly dragged into the river put the scare in me. There were also some good places to fish where the Trinity crossed Post Oak Road but I've heard they fenced most of that area off. Two many bodies being dumped in the gravel pits. For what it's worth I left Dallas in 1980 and haven't looked back. These old places hold good memories and if you can get to them probably some good fish.

Re: Trinity River south of Beach St./I-30?? #578762 06/03/05 02:59 AM
R
Ranger Rick Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I like fishing Rivers. But the only place I fished around this area was below hubabrd dam. then they clsoed that off.
Is there any safe alegal acess to the Trinity in our area. what about the water?
I fished the trinity way down towards Huntsville/Riverside/Trinty area of Texas when I was growing up. Its a lot cleaner and safe fishing river that far south Id think.
Still...Id try any such area around here or maybe another river or good size creek if any was around with acess. I just dont know this area when it comes ot the rivers and such.

Re: Trinity River south of Beach St./I-30?? #578763 06/03/05 04:42 AM
T
T- Gil Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Starless,
You know how big a big carp is! Maybe I shouldn't have said "big". The ones we would catch were in the 6-12lb. range. They were big in relation to the bass and perch we were used to catching.
Ranger Rick,
You need to look Rudy (a.k.a lovfldx) up. He's the resident expert in your neck of the woods for the river intel. I wasn't able to talk him into sharing any with me confused , but have talked to several that he has helped.
Good Luck!

[Linked Image]

TEAM HUMDINGER

1st teach a child to love God, teach him second to love Family, 3rd teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. CC

"Una Stamus"
Re: Trinity River south of Beach St./I-30?? #578764 06/03/05 08:13 AM
Starless Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Thanks T. 6-12 isn't a bad carp, and it's a still a good fight! All carp are after all. I may have to head out there sometime and try for some trinity carp. River fish are extra strong!

www.TXfishes.com - Texas Multi-Species Angling ( Multi-Species Tournament: Sign up now! )

Re: Trinity River south of Beach St./I-30?? #578765 06/04/05 01:09 PM
T
T- Gil Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
AllanGT,
We fished from tubes West (I think, upstream anyway) from the Hulen St. bridge. This was almost 20 years ago, but I be it would still be just as good. It was inaccessible any other way. The long grass on the bank laid over the edge of the water and the summer time bass would lay up in there in the shade. Our first trip in the tubes brought 10-15 bass from 3-5 pounds. We got some strange looks and comments, but it sure was fun.
Good luck and let us know how you did!

[Linked Image]

TEAM HUMDINGER

"Una Stamus"
Re: Trinity River south of Beach St./I-30?? #578766 06/04/05 09:50 PM
L
l.a. the hook setting machine Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
L
I fish the trinity river around bryant irving very often as it is close to my second home of sorts (mom's house). I ussialy do pretty good there and could give soem advice and tips on some spots and baits. Earlier in the spring during spawn the fishing was great, you could bring bass in from 3-5 lbs. In my last few trips i avg about 3 fish in an hours trip all around the 2-3 lb range.

la-"i think i got one rangerkev !"
ranger kev-"well did you set the hook!?!"
la-"set the hook?"
rangerkev-"you got to set the hook."
la-"set the hook?"
rangerkev-"yeah a hook set..."
la-"...whats a hook set"
Re: Trinity River south of Beach St./I-30?? #578767 06/07/05 03:57 AM
F
firefly515 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
I fished the area this weekend at beach and I30 for about 2 hours and got a 1 pound sand bass.The first one ive ever caught in my life .It was a rush.

Re: Trinity River south of Beach St./I-30?? #578768 06/07/05 01:23 PM
A
ALLANGT Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
A
I am hopefully going fishing there this afternoon.
Thinking primarily a blue/chrome tiny trap, 1/16 roadrunner, and 7 in plum ring rascal.

Re: Trinity River south of Beach St./I-30?? #578769 06/07/05 11:44 PM
T
T.J. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
what would you use to try and catch carp in the trinity? THere are several good spots to fish it here in irving

Re: Trinity River south of Beach St./I-30?? #578770 06/08/05 05:17 AM
Starless Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T. J. Without getting into all the crazy Euro gear I'd use the same stuff I use anywhere else.

A small hook, a number 6 is best I think, I personally like number 6 circles. For bait you'll want canned sweet corn, thread 3-6 ( I like 3 ) kernals on the hook, and be sure to leave the hook point exposed up too the barb. Fish it on the bottom.

You want to chum out the area of course with a few handfuls of corn, and fish the area you've chummed.

Nightcrawlers also make good carp bait, and will pick up catfish/drum/bass and anything else in the area too.

Doughbaits made from ground wheaties cereal and water, kneaded by hand, make good carp bait as well, but you have to watch your consistency.

All those baits are also likely to catch buffalo in the area. Buffalo usually hit much lighter then carp, so watch your line/pole carefully.

Also, if the current is heavy there you may need to use heavier weight/gear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide