Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,039,355
Posts13,963,314
Members144,201
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Choke Canyon Lake, TX FLW Collegiate Tournament 1/22/2011 (pic heavy) #5750439 01/23/11 04:10 AM
B
BaylorBass Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B

Today my partner Quin and I had our first collegiate bass fishing tournament of 2011 on Choke Canyon Lake. We represent the Baylor University Bears in Waco, TX. The tournament was an FLW collegiate event with a pay out for first through fifth, with first winning 10K; 5k for the anglers, 5k for the school.
We started out preparing pretty early for this event. We pre-fished the lake last weekend with fair results. We managed around a dozen fish with only two being rats; all the rest were over 14. We stayed up late the night before rigging up all the rods, and then caught a few Zs in the truck with the alarms set for 5 AM.

While packing for the tournament our buddies made fun of us. We had a dozen rods and reels with at least 50 lbs of tackle. We had a scale, culling floats, a weigh bag, and a ton of rain gear and weatherproof clothing. Skinny Bear Tackle who happens to be out of Bakersfield, CA generously sent us a box of assorted fish killing lures. Their flukes and drop shot baits mean business, if you have not seen their product line you should definitely look them up. I was super stoked to have finally gotten those in the mail just in time for the tournament.

We were all loaded up with over 100 crankbaits; mostly Manns medium and deep divers, five tackle trays of soft plastics from Roboworm, Culprit baits, Manns, and Stanley. Some killer finesse jigs from Stanley Jigs, and some Stone jigs from Manns with craw imitation trailers. A spinnerbait box that we could not fit another bait in if we tried, and a few swimbaits should the opportunity present itself.

Going into the tournament we did not have a concrete game plan yet. Everything was going to be determined by the water temperature. Pre-fishing was tough due to a cold front that kept the fish from moving up for their pre-spawn pattern. Sure enough, this week just prior to the tournament there were several cold fronts that came through and totally ruined any chance of a consistent shallow water bite. The air temp was below freezing and made for a very numb and uncomfortable run across the lake.

Fish were rather sporadic and not concentrated on any single pattern that we found. Once we got on the water we saw how cold the water was; averaging around 52 degrees, and decided to target medium to deep rock piles and rocky points. We hit them with crankbaits, Carolina rigged Sidewinders, drop shot, and wedge spinnerbaits. Nothing was really producing for us. Finally around mid-day we hit a rock pile we had found on the birds side scan sonar. I finally got one to bite and hold on; fishing a oz Carolina rig on 17lbs test with a creature bait. Unfortunately we stuck him on the measuring board and he was a tad shy he went back and we kept fishing. We stuck with that area a while longer until one of the pros fishing from the top 10 of the Everstart series started fishing one of our rockpiles and would not budge no worries, thats what they do for a living and 25K was on the line.

Fishing was looking to be slow so we kept on the move. We finally found a point with some shallow areas around it that produced a fish! The bite was real subtle but dragging a Stanley Sidewinder on a C-rig got Quin a big bite. A short fight on one of our new North Fork Composite rods a fat largemouth made its way into the live well. We nailed her in about four feet of water, her tail wasnt red at all, no surprise as the spawn will be a ways off if the freezing temperatures persist. (the fish above was just the rat we released, I don't think we got a good picture of the keeper)

[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv222...nt/SDC12375.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv222...nt/SDC12376.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv222...nt/SDC12377.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv222...nt/SDC12385.jpg[/img]
(Here are the guys from OU I think anybody who follows this series know whats up with these guys?.... they were in first, but the website does not even show them. It says Lamar won? What did they get DQed for?)

We made a move up to try some more shallows to see if the sun coming out finally helped things. We tied on a senko rigged wacky style with a Skinny Bear weighted EWG hook to throw around the thick timber and fish a little deeper. We fished the timber and a rocky bank for a while with spinnerbaits, and plastics. The bass are sluggish so there were no bites on the drop like youd come to expect flipping senkos. We had one bite that spit the hook. Nothing was producing there so we put the throttle down and made a big move across the lake at about 60 mph making good time to another point in deeper water with an adjacent flat and a deeper drop off from a rocky bank. This only produced a bite that ripped the worm in half (inched shy of the hook though!)
With only a half hour left in tournament time we made a quick trip back towards the weigh in. We made a brief stop at a flooded tank that had produced a few small keepers in pre-fishing. We could see the edges of the tank on the side scan, and kept over them with the trolling motor. With a lack of fish in the live well I down sized on the tackle and started drop shotting Skinny Bear flukes with 10 lbs fluorocarbon on a Rainshadow RX8+C865. The fast action and the super lightweight feel made it perfect for feeling for subtle bites. We had one short bite, but no takers. With one fatty large mouth in the tank we made it back to the dock with about two minutes to spare. (gotta love gunning a 200 hp Merc out of the hole to get from point A to point B in no time flat)
We trailered the boat and made our way over to the weigh in. Our official weight was 2 pounds 11 oz. Fishing was very slow for the field over all, so were not too disappointed. We did bump a team from the hot seat, and got to sit on stage for a short while though.

[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv222...nt/SDC12392.jpg[/img]
At the weight tanks

[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv222...nt/SDC12395.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv222...nt/SDC12397.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv222...nt/SDC12400.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv222...nt/SDC12407.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv222...nt/SDC12409.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv222...nt/SDC12422.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv222...nt/SDC12415.jpg[/img]

All in all today was a blast! Were already making plans for pre-fishing Sam Rayburn Reservoir next month. Hell or high water, were going to qualify for nationals!

Here are a few pictures from pre-fishing. I apologize for editing out the locations, as I usually do not do that. But we found some really good spots that are not community spots anyone would automatically find. I have a feeling they will really produce when the conditions are right!

[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv222...nt/SDC12338.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv222...nt/SDC12333.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv222...nt/SDC12335.jpg[/img]

Can you tell Im not an Art major? laugh

Lastly, I would like to extend a HUGE thanks to our generous sponsors. I kid you not when I say it would not be possible without them!

Skinny Bear Tackle, Manns Bait Co, Culprit Baits, Roboworm, Stanley Jigs, Batson Enterprises, North Fork Composites, Bullard Int., Costa Del Mar Sunglasses, Ardent Reels, McCoy Premium Fishing Line, Seaguar Fluorocarbon, Earthsports.com, Bass King Clothing, Hodges Capital Management, Diamond Pacific Construction, Owner Hooks, Unibutter, Cablz

[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv222/fishinkid2010/Jersey.png[/img]

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by CAbaylor2014; 01/23/11 04:15 AM.

Lake Travis Fishing Guide
www.fish512.com
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Choke Canyon Lake, TX FLW Collegiate Tournament 1/22/2011 (pic heavy) [Re: BaylorBass] #5750467 01/23/11 04:18 AM
Barrett Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
sic em

Re: Choke Canyon Lake, TX FLW Collegiate Tournament 1/22/2011 (pic heavy) [Re: Barrett] #5750847 01/23/11 08:01 AM
J
JayLaw Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Good report, and good luck with the remainder of your season

Re: Choke Canyon Lake, TX FLW Collegiate Tournament 1/22/2011 (pic heavy) [Re: JayLaw] #5750908 01/23/11 10:58 AM
F
Fishspanker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
OU DQ was for fishing in the off limits area. Very costly mistake to make. They had a nice limit under tough conditions.

25 of the 40 teams either had one fish or zeroed. Tough bite.

Seems like the ticket was grass shallow. Most the FLW guys that did good said they worked one or two like primary areas. Traps or small cranks slow.

Last edited by Fishspanker; 01/23/11 06:35 PM.

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Re: Choke Canyon Lake, TX FLW Collegiate Tournament 1/22/2011 (pic heavy) [Re: Fishspanker] #5751772 01/23/11 06:33 PM
T
Texas Smoke Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Fishspanker
OU DQ was for fishing in the off limits (ramp) area. One of your pics shows them with a rod in the front guys hand there. Very costly mistake to make. They had a nice limit under tough conditions.

Seems like the ticket was grass shallow. Most the FLW guys that did good said they worked one or two like primary areas. Traps or small cranks slow.

Actually, they were DQ'ed for throwing over the buoys at the Dam. Nothing to do with the ramp area.

Re: Choke Canyon Lake, TX FLW Collegiate Tournament 1/22/2011 (pic heavy) [Re: Texas Smoke] #5751793 01/23/11 06:39 PM
B
BaylorBass Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Dang, that is really unfortunate.
In the picture I snapped of them, they looked like they were just cutting lures off and breaking down their tackle. But its certainly possible they got too close to the jetty.

www.fish512.com
Re: Choke Canyon Lake, TX FLW Collegiate Tournament 1/22/2011 (pic heavy) [Re: Texas Smoke] #5751799 01/23/11 06:41 PM
L
LeonSulak Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
Either way great job fishing the tournament to all! What a fun tourny congrats OU awesome job just a bummer it happened, and congrats to Lamar the rightful winners. It was tough and yall did great findning them.
We got to meet a lot of cool people and great anglers. Quin and Tyler great job out there I'm glad I got to meet yall. Everyone out there was great to talk to and I cant wait till Rayburn. The night before one of the tournys we all need to go out to a restarunt and have dinner. Thats what the college tour is all about having fun meeting friends and watching some guys do great work on the water
Also thanks to Patrick Wilbright he was our pro who graciously let us use his boat and took us around the lake. He was an awesome guy and great person to spend the day out there with I couldnt have ask for a better observer, and I am thankful he donated his time and boat for us. Thank you FLW for putting this awesome event on it was one awesome day

Leon
UT Dallas

Last edited by loves2fish; 01/23/11 06:43 PM.

Re: Choke Canyon Lake, TX FLW Collegiate Tournament 1/22/2011 (pic heavy) [Re: LeonSulak] #5753477 01/24/11 02:20 AM
B
BaylorBass Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Nice to meet you out there Leon. We'll definitely have to get together for the next tournament at Rayburn. Shoot me a message on FB and we'll figure something out!

Will you guys be pre fishing it?

www.fish512.com
Re: Choke Canyon Lake, TX FLW Collegiate Tournament 1/22/2011 (pic heavy) [Re: BaylorBass] #5756039 01/24/11 07:02 PM
C
chauster Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Wow hey awesome job out there! That was my first collegiate tourny to fish as well and I also caught a 2lb 11oz bass smile

Here's a link to the one I got: https://s-hphotos-ash1.fbcdn.net/hs757.a...6_6524831_n.jpg

I'll be seeing y'all again at Rayburn..haha I hope all of us get in the top five.. that'd be awesome.

John Chau
Oral Roberts University

Last edited by chauster; 01/24/11 07:02 PM.
Re: Choke Canyon Lake, TX FLW Collegiate Tournament 1/22/2011 (pic heavy) [Re: chauster] #5756673 01/24/11 09:47 PM
L
LeonSulak Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
Awesome we will see you there were planing on going out to eat the night before

Re: Choke Canyon Lake, TX FLW Collegiate Tournament 1/22/2011 (pic heavy) [Re: Texas Smoke] #5756851 01/24/11 10:31 PM
N
Nitro-Blake Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
N
Originally Posted By: Texas Smoke
OU DQ was for fishing in the off limits (ramp) area. One of your pics shows them with a rod in the front guys hand there. Very costly mistake to make. They had a nice limit under tough conditions.

Actually, they were DQ'ed for throwing over the buoys at the Dam. Nothing to do with the ramp area.

Sure looked like them at the ramp?

Re: Choke Canyon Lake, TX FLW Collegiate Tournament 1/22/2011 (pic heavy) [Re: Nitro-Blake] #5757419 01/25/11 12:37 AM
Charlie Brown III Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: Nitro-Blake

lol

Re: Choke Canyon Lake, TX FLW Collegiate Tournament 1/22/2011 (pic heavy) [Re: Nitro-Blake] #5757533 01/25/11 01:03 AM
O
OUJoeyC Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
O
Originally Posted By: Nitro-Blake

Nah, definetely for casting over the buoys. Kevin asked them as soon as he was informed and they confirmed to throwing over the buoys without bringing the boat past them. That is still OB because it was designated "no boats" by the lake and the FLW rules state those areas are off limits. I saw a team by the ramp also, even catch one, but it prob wasn't enough to matter. These guys already had their boat trailered and parked. It was a call that needed to be made though since in their case it affected the top 5/winner/etc.

Joey
Re: Choke Canyon Lake, TX FLW Collegiate Tournament 1/22/2011 (pic heavy) [Re: OUJoeyC] #5758142 01/25/11 02:59 AM
C
chauster Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Dude yah, dinner sounds fun. Do you guys already have hotels and stuff?

Re: Choke Canyon Lake, TX FLW Collegiate Tournament 1/22/2011 (pic heavy) [Re: chauster] #5762755 01/26/11 02:11 AM
D
Daniel1056 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Hey man, nice catch and good pics, See ya at Rayburn!!!

Eat 'Em Up Kats!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide