Print Thread
What am I doing wrong #5722669 01/16/11 06:34 AM
F
Fat Cat Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
I can not seem to catch a perch to save my life. I have been going to this city pond where I KNOW FOR A FACT there are lots of perch there (I have caught 100;s from there in the past) But for the last 3 weeks I can catch 1. I fish close to the bank, far out, shallow, deep.... nothing. When it gets cold do they stop biting or what?

Re: What am I doing wrong [Re: Fat Cat] #5722689 01/16/11 06:49 AM
D
Don Morey Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
I don't think they stop biting, I think they school up and move around less. I've seen Aquaview footage (under the ice) and the gills are still biting well. Cold may slow down their matabolism causing them to eat with less effort on the bluegills part. But...

find the school and put a waxworm, beemoth, maggot... in front of their face and I'll bet they'll bite.

Re: What am I doing wrong [Re: Don Morey] #5722770 01/16/11 08:23 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Good advice Don. Keep searching for em. They are in deeper water and are not moving as much because of the cold weather. I am also having the same problem fishing spots where I have caught a ton of em in the past and now nothing. Fish off of the bottom and deep and be very patient. Soon or a later one will strike. Also take advantage of any warm spells that may occure. Good luck.

Oh Yea Welcome to the Texas Fishing Forum.

Last edited by banker-always fishing; 01/16/11 08:24 AM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: What am I doing wrong [Re: Fat Cat] #5726379 01/17/11 12:31 PM
S
Smithaven Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: wyliefishdude
I can not seem to catch a perch to save my life. I have been going to this city pond where I KNOW FOR A FACT there are lots of perch there (I have caught 100;s from there in the past) But for the last 3 weeks I can catch 1. I fish close to the bank, far out, shallow, deep.... nothing. When it gets cold do they stop biting or what?

A good place to start is to learn the correct names and the habits of each species. There are no perch in the south except for a few small varieties. The fish you are calling perch are really varieties of sunfish. There are many sunfish. Around Wylie the most common are Bluegill, Green Sunfish, Redear, Longear, Pumpkinseed and Warmouth. Each variety has slightly different habits.

In general, though, look for the fish in the deepest water of the pond. Use small hooks and small baits. Tiny pieces of worms or mealworms are good. The hook should be a #10 gold Aberdeen. Use a small pinch on sinker and an oval balsa slip bobber.

I have the best luck on sunny days. High-pressure fronts will stop the bite for a few days. The best day is a sunny day just before the next front.

I hope this helps. There are some really good sunfish fishermen on this forum and I am sure some others will chime in. Good luck.

Re: What am I doing wrong [Re: Smithaven] #5727186 01/17/11 05:08 PM
J
jagg Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
It's normally a hunting game in winter. Ya have to find concentrations of 'gills. They want to be in the deepest parts of shallow bays, but will move out if the weeds die or if the food is scarce. If they move out, then they will scatter to places like deep humps, rock piles, mud flats, hardwoods, fence rows and pole timber, etc... At least, the big ones will. This is the one time that I've personally found it easier to catch the big bream and not the lil' dinks. I don't know why, but it has been that way for me since I've started targeting big bream. The hard part is finding them. They are feeding on invertebrates and crawfish and things like that, so if ya find the bait, you'll find the bream. In other seasons, you can throw out your bait and the bream will come to you. That's not something that happens to often in the winter. Most folks think these fish are easy to catch when in fact they are only usually easy prey in the spawning times. Other than that, they are as worthy of a target than any other gamefish. Winter is the time you find out if you're really a bream angler. Hope this helps! Good luck and tight lines! cheers

Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless His Holy Name!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBzsXYK-44H5uEUe3WXjmLg
Re: What am I doing wrong [Re: jagg] #5730977 01/18/11 01:24 PM
D
deucer02 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
I've always heard of them referred to as perch or bream. We called it perch jerking. It makes no difference what you call them or what kind of sub species they are. They're all good in a skillet.

Biden famously said in the New York Observer, โ€œI mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, thatโ€™s a storybook, man.โ€
Re: What am I doing wrong [Re: deucer02] #5731156 01/18/11 02:14 PM
C
chuckwagon Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C

Gittchee sum earthworms..preferably red wigglers. I have a friend that raises worms and I love the small, fiesty wigglers about 2 inches long.

Thread a couple of the wigglers on a #8 or #6 cricket hook and set your bobber to hold the bait about 6 inches or so off the bottom. Move the bait and let it "rest" for a minute or two. Move it again and let it rest. You ain't gonna move it again because some big bull gill is gonna inhale that bait!! thumb

****Sun sinking low....lines baited.....gentle south breeze blowing...you realize.........I AM! .
Re: What am I doing wrong [Re: chuckwagon] #5740457 01/20/11 03:23 PM
M
Meadowlark Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
+1 to Chuckwagon.

Whatever you use this time of year for 'gills....go slow and low. Slower than you can stand it and as low in the water column you can get without touching bottom.

Re: What am I doing wrong [Re: Meadowlark] #5752107 01/23/11 08:18 PM
B
Blandastig Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
i have found in ponds with large numbers of sunfish that i have my best luck if i can make them swarm where i want. to do this i throw 10-12 fish pellets(fish chow)- walmart sells a can for a few bucks in the pet dept. then i get crappie nibbles, usually pink or white, i use a 12 foot panfish pole and just land the crappie nibble right where they are swarming the pellets. in places i do this regularly i can catch 20+ sunfish in half an hour.

btw: some lakes in texas do actually have PERCH. Yellow perch have been introduced to a number of lakes the only one i know for sure offhand is Lake Baird. This can be verified by looking at stocking reports from the tpwd.

Last edited by Blandastig; 01/23/11 08:21 PM.

PB- Channel cat:4.75 lbs, Common Carp:5.5 lbs, Bowfin: 7 lbs
Re: What am I doing wrong [Re: Blandastig] #5754453 01/24/11 12:06 PM
D
Don Morey Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
wyliefishdude: Have you had any luck with the advice posted?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide