Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thoughts about slots #56953 09/01/03 01:58 PM
hasbeen Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
If slot limits are to manage a fishery, shouldn't the slot change periodically? Seems that if it stays the same for an extended period of time, the results would begin to become negative. Stunted fish, skinny fish, no big fish. Farmers rotate their crops.

I understand part of the problem is we don't take enough fish under 14" from these lakes. Maybe the incentive to take more small fish would be to change slots from 14" to 16" minimums. More people would fish for food. After a few seasons, change it to something else. Bottomline is the management of the fishery, not just setting a regulation and leaving it there.

Another possibilty is to bring back the after tournament 'fish fry'. Cook up all those fish < 14" and add to the tournament experience.

This is not a knock on TPWD, just wondering out loud.

Keep it wet,

HB

Keep it wet.

Re: Thoughts about slots #56954 09/01/03 02:16 PM
W
wcramsey Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
I agree with you on changing the lenght limits on slot lakes or lakes with certain restrictions. Lake Ivie is a good example. When it opened it was set with an 18 inch lenght limit and still is today. As a result a couple of years ago the TP&W decided to allow 2 fish under 18 inches per person to be taken out of the lake because there surveys showed and over abundance of small fish. I have seen alot of skinny and unhealthy fish come out of that lake the last few years and I dont think alot of people are taking those fish home. I know there could be alot of factors that may contribute to this but I think the obvious one is the 18 inch limit. Lake Allen Henry is still A fairly young lake with the same lenght limits. Is it going to go down the same road as Ivie?????? I hope the monitor this and change the limits accordingly.

Re: Thoughts about slots #56955 09/03/03 04:51 AM
ksutton Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I think a lot of the problem is the Catch & Release mentality some people have. They will absolutely never keep a LMB. When that is the case the slot limits don't help a bit.

Now, before I catch a lot of flak, I do agree with Catch & Release it's just I think it can be taken to extremes. If I am fishing a non-slot lake I very seldom keep LMB. Most non-slot lakes have a 14 or 18 inch minimum and I don't like to eat LMB that big so I don't keep them. If I am on a slot lake, and I catch a LMB under the slot, I keep them up to my limit. I like to grill small LMB's so they never go to waste (very seldom do they ever get frozen).

I just figure that TPWD knows more about it then I do. I may be wrong about that but that's my thinking.

I do know the slot has really helped on Grapevine Lake. I believe this is the 5th year it has been in place and the bass are definitely averaging larger.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Thoughts about slots #56956 09/03/03 01:39 PM
hasbeen Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
I agree with you that the slot has helped Grapevine. I have fished the lake ~50 times per year since 1995.

The point is, does the regulation in place stop producing the desired results after a period of time?

I also agree that not keep the small fish doesn't help the slot acheive its goal. I'm guilty of that. That's why I tossed out the idea of "Tournament Fish Frys" There are three tournys per week on GV. If one tourney keep fish, would it help the fishery?

HB

Keep it wet.

Re: Thoughts about slots #56957 09/03/03 01:52 PM
F
FishTexas101 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Obviously, slots are put into effect to produce a desired result. Doesn't it seem reasonable that after the desired result is obtained that the slot would be evaluated? Not necessarily to remove it but maybe adjust it for the current conditions. Almost like one prescription is cure for everything and forever.

Re: Thoughts about slots #56958 09/03/03 02:07 PM
E
eddie lane Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
JUst a thought. Relocation of small and slot fish. It has been my practice to bring fish back to my dock in a w.ell outfitted live wel;l and release them. I do this with all lmb and the only problem(has not happened yet) is having under 16 inch lmb in the boat and having a pwd warden stop and inspest me.Ialso do the same with sandies under 12 inches and larger ones when I don,t need them for the skillet. I try to keep the habiat around my dock where the lmb will stay,Needless to say my dock is a stop for the tournament fisherman and I enjoy watching them(both the bass and fisherman.There are some days when check in is 3 pm that you have to get a number to fish my dock after 2pm.

eddie lane
Re: Thoughts about slots #56959 09/04/03 07:34 AM
ksutton Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Eddie,

Good idea but it is illegal. Not only transporting under size fish but transferring fish from one body of water to another. They don't like it because there are chances of transferring diseases, undesirable plant life, etc. from lake to lake. It is in your fishing regulations manual.

And, yes, it does seem to me that the slots should be adjusted, or elminated, after a certain period of time. It seems to me that after a period of time all you catch are slot fish and smaller. But, again, I am assuming TPWD knows more about that then I do.

Kevin

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Thoughts about slots #56960 09/04/03 04:17 PM
B
Bassinfool Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
O.K. here is my two cents on this subject. It is just an opinion. I think the slot limits should be waived and follow State Law ONLY if you are fishing a tournament, because the fish are "catch and release" anyway.

www.funnsun boats. com Pro Staff
Www. Ardentreels.com Pro Staff
www.fishpaa.com
www. Wickedweights. com Pro Staff
www. Hagstornadobaits. com
www.gohardfishing.com Pro Staff
www.alvaradocustomtackle.com Pro Staff
Re: Thoughts about slots #56961 09/04/03 06:03 PM
C
c.j.jenkins Offline
Angler
Angler
C
What about all the fish that die in tournaments? They may be "catch and release" but there will be a good number of "slot" fish that will die during or after a tournament due to stress. Ergo, the slot will only apply to certain fishermen--that doesn't seem fair. If it is a slot lake (and it only became a slot lake to protect a certain size of fish) then the rules should apply to everyone, whether a tournament or weekend angler. Lake Fork Sportsman's Association went through this battle a few years ago and Fork is still a slot lake for everyone.

Re: Thoughts about slots #56962 09/04/03 06:19 PM
petro Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I think slots should only be imposed when a lake is new or on a rebound ,to help the population grow. After so long the slot should be removed or at least adjusted.
The current slot lakes are kind of boring to fish because of all the small fish. Granted you can catch your share of larger fish, but you can go to rayburn or t-bend,r-chambers for example and catch just as many fish over 7 or 8 lbs. as you can on any slot lake. Except for maybe fork.

Re: Thoughts about slots #56963 09/04/03 06:19 PM
B
Bassinfool Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I knew someone would jump on my comment. I have fished in approximately 23 total tournaments this year alone and know of only (3) fish that did not make it. It all has to do with the way fish are handled too. Like I said before everyone is entitled to their opinion and I gave mine. Did not mean to ruffle any feathers by any means.

www.funnsun boats. com Pro Staff
Www. Ardentreels.com Pro Staff
www.fishpaa.com
www. Wickedweights. com Pro Staff
www. Hagstornadobaits. com
www.gohardfishing.com Pro Staff
www.alvaradocustomtackle.com Pro Staff
Re: Thoughts about slots #56964 09/04/03 07:56 PM
D
David Mulcahy Offline
Angler
Angler
D
I agree with BASSINFOOL there should be away to get permisson to keep fish on tournament days till the end of the event. Our club will not fish slot lakes. We only fish 18"lakes about once or twice a year.

Re: Thoughts about slots #56965 09/04/03 09:05 PM
petro Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
As I see it there isn;t a lake in N. texas that needs a slot. Cedar reek for example has better fishing than Joe Pool or Cooper or Ray bob. And it has 100 tourneys a year on it.
I also think there should be a waiver for legitimate tourneys on slot lakes.

n it.

Re: Thoughts about slots #56966 09/04/03 09:41 PM
S
scott01 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Okay petro, what would you consider a "legitimate" tourney? Should it be based on how many entries, how much the entry fee is, who's is in attendance, or what? Really now, is any one tournament organization on the local level any more legitimate than the others, and if so, why? Who should make that determination, TPWD? Do you really think that Cedar Creek is a better fishery than Ray Bob? I guess that's a matter of personal opinion. I for one have caught many more big bass at Ray Bob than CC, not to mention the times when we have boated 20+ bass over 5 lbs with 2 over 10 in a single day. I like both lakes for completely different reasons. It's really hard to compare them since they fish so opposite of each other. If I'm looking for a wall hanger size bass (10+ lb), I would put Ray Bob and Cooper ahead of Cedar Creek, easily. I agree that the slot lakes do deter tournaments from scheduling them and that's why lakes like Cedar Creek and others get hammered by so many tourneys each year. I too hate to fish slot lakes during tourneys because it's frustrating trying to target bass below a slot or going for broke to try and catch 1 over the slot fish. It would be nice to spread the tourneys out onto these other lakes too, which I think would benefit all lakes (reduced overall pressure on some bodies of water). However, some of the older (and smaller) lakes like Grapevine that are basically void of cover need a slot to protect the spawning size bass from overharvest.

Re: Thoughts about slots #56967 09/04/03 10:06 PM
P
Perchsearcher Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
The slot makes Lake Fork. Without it, the lake would be a much less productive fishery. I fish several lakes I believe would benefit from a slot.

Why would sport fishermen, who pay just as much for their licenses, want to see tournaments hauling slots around the lake all day? Tournaments have a bad enough image without another PR faux pas like that one.

Larry Lynch
Country Place
Tyler, TX
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide