Forums59
Topics1,039,716
Posts13,969,286
Members144,214
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: I have been listening live as TPWD discuss's Bowfishing for catfish #552222 04/06/06 10:42 PM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Proof that the public hearings are nothing but a dog and pony show. They've pretty much made up their minds when it gets to that point.

I know it's not TPWD's fault since they argued against it, but the politicians in Austin don't give a Dam about public opinion!

Makes you wonder since most of the biologist were against it, then who bought the key vote to push for the compromise?

Money talks, and it will become evident as soon as it's legal, what the real reason was for passing it, or who wanted it passed.

So you say it's only for a year! Well they took what they could get. The door has been kicked in, and other game fish will follow such as redfish and bass. This is probably why they picked on the catfish, and figured it wouldn't be as hard to pass. They probably didn't count on such a fight, but it didn't do any good anyway, they got what they wanted!

So much for CPR! It's a dark day for conservation of our resources! mad

Just one more cast!

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: I have been listening live as TPWD discuss's Bowfishing for catfish #552223 04/06/06 10:59 PM
B
Brewboy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I spoke up at the Cabela's Fort Worth hearing about the corruption level in our govornment and now you see it at work.

So much for democracy at work, people spoke out at 4 to 1 against. Who voted for this $hit head from Dallas that pushed this through anyway? Just make sure he doesn't get re-elected.

Looks like I need to go buy an airboat and start guiding for flathead bowfishing on the Brazos. Might as well cash in while the resource is still here cause it won't be for long. NOT!

This is a dark, dark day for Texas gamefish.

Scott Townson

PB Common - 39lb 9oz
PB Smallmouth Buffalo - 50lb 2oz
PB Mirror - 18lb 4oz
PB White Amur - 25lb 12oz
Re: I have been listening live as TPWD discuss's Bowfishing for catfish #552224 04/06/06 11:20 PM
T
TheFirstNameThat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
Well,

A 1 year study does very little. Ecosystems are effected by small changes like this over a long period of time. It's not like TPWD can call up Louie the Catfish and his family and ask them who's died or how they're effected. Well, hopefully the high amount of the unemployed don't start guiding bowfish for cat trips now, lol. I can't complain too much though, I didn't even make the meeting a while back...forgot all about it. Thanks to everyone that did make it.

Re: I have been listening live as TPWD discuss's Bowfishing for catfish #552225 04/07/06 12:28 AM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
A one year study will do absolutely nothing just like you say, but then when no fan fare or controversy and any results will be relagated to a back page or very small article, it will be extended, due to apathy. Hopefully this won't happen.

Like I said earlier the genie is out of the bottle, and you can bet further down the line we will see other gamefish added, including redfish down on the coast.

Not much we can do but keep up with what happens, and report waste to the game wardens.

Also taking pictures and posting might be a good deterent.

Just one more cast!

Re: I have been listening live as TPWD discuss's Bowfishing for catfish #552226 04/07/06 12:38 AM
B
Brewboy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I'm thinking more on the line of citizens arrest if I see bowfishers abusing their new found freedom.

What I'd really like to do:

Short fish?, I may just hold that SOB at gunpoint till the Warden gets there.

Shoot a fish and throw him back in? I may just club that evil bastard and drop him in with the dying fish.

Needless to say, I'm not happy about this.

Scott Townson

PB Common - 39lb 9oz
PB Mirror - 18lb 4oz
Re: I have been listening live as TPWD discuss's Bowfishing for catfish #552227 04/07/06 01:28 AM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I just hope TPWD makes a regulation that you can't have a generator on your boat and have a bow killed catfish in the boat at the same time.

Can you imagine what would happen night after night, by some genius rigging a shock device to the generator and punching holes in the limits of catfish they bring aboard in one night. Just think about it.

Hope TPWD gets a handle on this before they make it legal.

Just one more cast!

Re: I have been listening live as TPWD discuss's Bowfishing for catfish #552228 04/07/06 01:47 AM
D
David and Sons Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
It tears my heart out to watch you guys. We are all outdoorsman. We all love our natural resources. Rather than give us a chance you categorize us and make us out to be criminals.I have seen more abandoned trotlines than I have catfish at night. Now what kind of sportsman is that? There are enough catfish to support commercial fishing and some 250,000 rod and real anglers but not some 200 or so bowfisherman? I think some folks are thumping their chest just to say they did. I hate to think what message you are conveying to your kids.

Re: I have been listening live as TPWD discuss's Bowfishing for catfish #552229 04/07/06 02:32 AM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
We all have seen the large numbers of wasted fish lying rotting up on the banks by bowfishermen. Granted there are people who fish that waste also. You just don't see the blatant waste as you do with arrowed fish. Also fish hooked on abandoned trotlines are few since there is usually no bait on those lines.

I have yet to see a bowfisherman practice catch and release. I bowfished myself a couple times shooting talapia that I gave to a friend that I was bowfishing with. I never bowfished again after I realized that this was a practice in futility. Why kill fish if I'm not going to eat them, or use them for bait? Every shot you shoot isn't going to result in a clean kill. There will be some fish crippled, only to die later. Killing just to kill for the sport, is not sportsmanship and certainly isn't a message I want to convey to my kids or anyone elses.

Just one more cast!

Re: I have been listening live as TPWD discuss's Bowfishing for catfish #552230 04/07/06 02:38 AM
D
David and Sons Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Your opinion is respected Jimbo. As well as your fishing preference. All we ask is you respect ours.

Re: I have been listening live as TPWD discuss's Bowfishing for catfish #552231 04/07/06 02:42 AM
B
Brewboy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Quote:
Originally posted by David and Sons:
It tears my heart out to watch you guys. We are all outdoorsman. We all love our natural resources. Rather than give us a chance you categorize us and make us out to be criminals.
So you are a bowfisher? Tell me you havn't wasted at least some of the fish you shoot. Tell me you havn't left some to die or on the bank.

I too bowfished in my younger days and was guilty as sin. I have learned better. Catfish used to be a gamefish. Now they're reduced to arrow fodder. This is what tears my heart out.

Abandoned trotlines and non-tagged lines, are bad and illegal. Bowfishing for catfish is bad as was illegal until today.

The way bowfishers have wasted resources and littered our waters with dead fish has given them the reputation of a criminal in my eyes. Lets hope Bowfishers ethics change overnight else exactly what I've been talking about will happen night after night.

Scott Townson

PB Common - 39lb 9oz
PB Mirror - 18lb 4oz
Re: I have been listening live as TPWD discuss's Bowfishing for catfish #552232 04/07/06 03:12 AM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
David: I am respecting yours because I'm not on a bowfishing forum ranting. This is a my last rant, of ranting to the choir. I'm better now that I've got it out of my system. Good night all!

Just one more cast!

Re: I have been listening live as TPWD discuss's Bowfishing for catfish #552233 04/07/06 03:18 AM
2fish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
LoneStar...I must have missed that one! rolfmao

Fishing is a jerk at one end of the line, waiting on a jerk at the other end...and I'm proud to be one of 'em.
Re: I have been listening live as TPWD discuss's Bowfishing for catfish #552234 04/07/06 03:24 AM
D
David and Sons Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I questioned myself posting on your board. I let my better judgement slip. Good fishing fellows. David

Re: I have been listening live as TPWD discuss's Bowfishing for catfish #552235 04/07/06 03:34 AM
S
stork Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Honestly i dont see a difference between catching a catfish on bait or shooting it with a bow if you are going to eat it. Either way you are taking the fish out of the ecosystem. The problem i have with it is that it seems that the only time you would really get a crack at a catfish is when they are spawning, therefore reducing the fish population big time. What if they had a season for catfish or something so that they couldn't be shot during spawning times? And no, i dont bowfish, but i do hunt with a bow. I dont see why you should just go and shoot carp and 30+ year old gar for the hell of it. Doesn't make sense to me.

Re: I have been listening live as TPWD discuss's Bowfishing for catfish #552236 04/07/06 03:40 AM
Starless Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Crappiecat - I think the $250,000 that Al won for catching and releasing the new state record carp has the TPWD finally realizing there is serious sport fish potential in carp. That's why they were discussing it today...the dollar signs are helping them see the light, lol.

The Harder the Fight, the Better the Fish.

www.TXfishes.com - Texas Multi-Species Angling ( Multi-Species Tournament: Sign up now! )

www.atdot.com Now featuring fantastic photography.

www.dfwhops.com ( All your DFW Beer news and info in one spot! )
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide