Print Thread
Catfish farms? #540382 02/24/04 07:37 PM
F
fishindad Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
F
I bought some rods at the local Wal-Mart and took my 7 and 4 year old fishing this last weekend at a creek a few miles from our house. We didn't catch a thing, but we had a lot of fun. Two big catfish crept close to the embankment where we were standing and were obviously waiting for something to happen. They certainly weren't biting on what we were offering (cheap white bread rolled up into a little ball on a hook which I figured would be good enough to get a few sunfish). I will probably take them somewhere along the Brazos near I-59 (we live in Missouri City, just outside of Houston) this coming weekend.

A friend suggested I might take them to a catfish farm where we'd have a "guaranteed" catch and could eat it too without much worry. It sounded interesting, if only for my kids and I to get to see a lot of catfish up close. Any suggestions about where such farms are around Houston?

I realize that for all you experienced catfisherman my question above is probably the equivalent of asking for a bottle of ketchup in a fancy French restaurant, but we're very new to this. In the next few days, I'll probably pick up a net, some of those "worms" with the three-pronged hooks and try out a couple of baits on offer at Wal-Mart, just to begin experimenting. I'd welcome any tips, especially ones that bear in mind that I'm fishing with little kids. By the way, are reels with 10-pound lines adequate for your average catfish (we aren't trying to set any size records, and we probably won't fish exclusively for catfish)?

Thanks,

Fishindad

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Catfish farms? #540383 02/24/04 07:57 PM
C
Catfish_Hunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I would say go to Wal-Mart or your local bait shop and pick up a box of nightcrawlers. Or, if you have a place to do it, dig your own worms (which can be trickier than catching fish). Nightcrawlers should do the trick though. As far as 10lb. line goes, it should be fine for your run-of-the-mill table-fare catfish up to 5lbs. quite easily if you have the drag set right and aren't fishing in heavy cover. I'd just go to the store, buy a few packs of hooks (various sizes from #6 up through #1, and a few packs of weights, and maybe some bobbers. Tie on a hook, put a little weight on it, clip a bobber onto the hook, put some worm on the hook, and fling it out. If you don't catch anything like this, try it without the bobber. If you still don't, you're either doing something seriously wrong or else the fish aren't there.

------------------
You are hereby deemed guilty of treason by preparing catfish by a method other than frying! Your sentence is to become bait.

No fish is too good for the grease.
Re: Catfish farms? #540384 02/24/04 09:18 PM
K
KUJO Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
near canyon lake is fishermans corner, and they have a nice catfish pond i hear...

TEXAS FLY REPORT
"Home of the world famous Chicken Rodeo!"

JOIN the San Antonio Area Bank Fishing Group
Re: Catfish farms? #540385 02/24/04 10:29 PM
O
obiewan57 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
I have never been to the catfish pond at Cypress and US 290, coming out of Houston it is on your left. I see people fishing there all the time and might be worth taking the kids if they stock it well, and I bet they do since they have been in business a long time. Good luck.

Weldon Kirk
www.FISHTALES-GUIDESERVICE.COM LET'S GO FISHING
Davy Crockett said, Be sure you are right, then go ahead!

[Linked Image]
Re: Catfish farms? #540386 02/24/04 10:31 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Get your local newspaper and go to the clasified section and look up Hunting and fishing leases. Some of those Catfish Ponds advertise in that section. Try the phone book yellow pages, and you could also call some of the local tackle shops while you are looking up numbers and they should be able to direct you to one. There are probably some in your area. They are the ticket for taking the kids out and letting them get a feel for what it is like to catch a fish. The great thing about those catfish ponds is they usually supply all the tackle bait net stringer and even clean the fish for you. It will be an experience those kids will never forget. It's not that expensive when you look at the entire picture. It would cost you that much to take them out in a boat and buy bait rods and reels and all the other things you need. By going to a catfish farm all you do is bring yourself and leave with filets just about guaranteed. Kids have a short attention span and those farms will hold their attention. Good fishin! Welcome to the forum! Jimbo

Just one more cast!

Re: Catfish farms? #540387 02/24/04 11:40 PM
C
canyonwomen Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
The best in Texas is Fishermans Corner...very family oriented and clean... www.canyonlakefishing.com

Re: Catfish farms? #540388 02/25/04 08:19 PM
W
waterspout Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Try going down to Brazos Bend state park they offer some prety good bank fishing also there is a catfish pond up off 290 as obiewan57 said. There is Tom bass regional park in Pearland that has piers and some fish Lake Texana is down 59 in Edna.
Good Luck

[This message has been edited by waterspout (edited 02-25-2004).]

Re: Catfish farms? #540389 02/25/04 10:18 PM
J
jedt2 Offline
Angler
Angler
J
If you don't have any luck at the on 290 and Cypress I think there is also one on FM 359 between Hempstead and Brookshire.

http://www.texashealthandmedicare.com
For your dental and travel needs
Re: Catfish farms? #540390 02/25/04 10:26 PM
R
rogc Offline
Angler
Angler
R
If you go to the one off 290 take beef liver and you will get some nice ones.
I went there a few times and cleaned up on them.
Of course being as you have to keep what you catch they would somehow get loose when i tried to put them on the stringer

Re: Catfish farms? #540391 03/01/04 12:07 AM
C
catdaddy Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
there is also a place just south of CO> RD 59 on Hwy 288 for catfishinf follow the signs going southbound.
Quote:
Originally posted by fishindad:
I bought some rods at the local Wal-Mart and took my 7 and 4 year old fishing this last weekend at a creek a few miles from our house. We didn't catch a thing, but we had a lot of fun. Two big catfish crept close to the embankment where we were standing and were obviously waiting for something to happen. They certainly weren't biting on what we were offering (cheap white bread rolled up into a little ball on a hook which I figured would be good enough to get a few sunfish). I will probably take them somewhere along the Brazos near I-59 (we live in Missouri City, just outside of Houston) this coming weekend.

A friend suggested I might take them to a catfish farm where we'd have a "guaranteed" catch and could eat it too without much worry. It sounded interesting, if only for my kids and I to get to see a lot of catfish up close. Any suggestions about where such farms are around Houston?

I realize that for all you experienced catfisherman my question above is probably the equivalent of asking for a bottle of ketchup in a fancy French restaurant, but we're very new to this. In the next few days, I'll probably pick up a net, some of those "worms" with the three-pronged hooks and try out a couple of baits on offer at Wal-Mart, just to begin experimenting. I'd welcome any tips, especially ones that bear in mind that I'm fishing with little kids. By the way, are reels with 10-pound lines adequate for your average catfish (we aren't trying to set any size records, and we probably won't fish exclusively for catfish)?

Thanks,

Fishindad

Re: Catfish farms? #540392 04/14/04 03:20 PM
H
hooklinesinker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Does anybody know of any catfish farms in or near Austin?

Re: Catfish farms? #540393 04/14/04 04:51 PM
T
TXPalerider Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I live about 2 miles from the farm off 290. I stop and wath them catch fishh all the time. Seems very prodctive.

Behold, a pale horse....
Re: Catfish farms? #540394 04/14/04 08:17 PM
B
BOBSAM Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Dont worry about the ketchup in a fancy resturant comment. Anytime you are taking a kid and teaching them to fish you may be doing them about the best favor you can. Do not be embarrased by how you do it --just do it. We need to see more kids brought up as good sportsmen and this may keep them out of trouble on the streets. Just my opinion

If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, then baffle 'em with B--- S--- !!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide