Page 1 of 2 1 2
Picking a New Boat, Opinions... #54006 05/02/06 11:25 PM
H
hookset Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
when i sell my bass boat (X51 Xpress) i will buy a bigger boat.
now my 2 boys are 11 and 8 years old and love to fish along with my wife and i.
the question i have is should i buy a fish and ski so i can drag them around on a tube from time to time, or just get a bigger bass boat?

can you use a bass boat to drag a tube?

any thoughts appreciated.

hookset

Hooksets are free, use as many as you like.
Re: Picking a New Boat, Opinions... #54007 05/03/06 02:51 AM
R
Rooster-SG Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
You can certainly pull skiers, tubers with a bass boat if it's setup to do it.My Skeeter ZX 202c has pulled a few in its time.More fishing though. As far as buying a boat alot of people should have an opinion that may help but all in all its up to you to decide whats best for you and the family because there are alot of questions to be asked (Money,usage for each activity,GAS!!!,Type of fishing, Comfort,Etc, Etc).

Re: Picking a New Boat, Opinions... #54008 05/03/06 03:58 AM
M
Mike Keenan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
hookset,
here is s suggestion, go take some demo rides in different boats. also go by north tx fiberglass to start research. I did that before I bought my basscat. ask the owner there some questions like what boats does he never see due to warranty repair. the top three or four list may be...ranger, champion, basscat and legend. if you want a ride in a basscat holler at me, I have a 2005 basscat cougar with a 225 optimax. I have a buddy with an 19 legend with a 200 optimax both are great boats. just holler at us anytime.

R.I.P. Mike "pappy" "broken rod" Green born 07-16-62 on to better fishing 06-10-08.
www.basscat.com

Re: Picking a New Boat, Opinions... #54009 05/03/06 12:29 PM
CapnJoe Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
hookset,

Be sure you take a look at some center consoles. They are great for kids with all the room, and you can still ease them through the woods and along the bank. They do have a higher profile than a bass boat, so you do give up some in tight places in the wind. Boats are all about compromise. smile

Joe

Re: Picking a New Boat, Opinions... #54010 05/03/06 01:06 PM
Monte Reagan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Hookset,
I would be glad to take you on a demo in either a new Ranger or Skeeter boat. Just give me a days notice to prep one and we can hit the water.
Thanks,
Monte Reagan
Fun-n-Sun Boat sales
817-447-9191

Re: Picking a New Boat, Opinions... #54011 05/03/06 01:18 PM
Monte Coon Offline
Coon's Bar & Grill
Coon's Bar & Grill
Take Monte up on that test drive the only way to be sure you made the best choice is to get out and give them a try.

I got my last two boats from Fun-N-Sun and the service has been outstanding.

[Linked Image]
Monte Coon | Sales Manager | Moritz Chevrolet | 817-696-2003

www.facebook.com/MoritzFortWorth
www.moritzchevrolet.com
www.dobynsrods.com
www.funnsunboats.com
Re: Picking a New Boat, Opinions... #54012 05/03/06 01:56 PM
TexDawg Online Content
Top Dawg
Online Content
Top Dawg
Quote:
Originally posted by CapnJoe:
hookset,

Be sure you take a look at some center consoles. They are great for kids with all the room, and you can still ease them through the woods and along the bank. They do have a higher profile than a bass boat, so you do give up some in tight places in the wind. Boats are all about compromise. smile
ditto, if I ever buy another fishing boat it would be a center console

Re: Picking a New Boat, Opinions... #54013 05/03/06 03:13 PM
John175☮ Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Online Happy
MACHO MAN
I would go for the bass boat if you fish for bass primarily. If you fish for sand bass or crappie a center console would do the trick. Focus on what you fish for because if the boys loose interest in fishing or tubing then you have a boat to pursue your preferred recreation. If you are taking four make sure the boat you choose is rated for four. That was my decision process and it works well...nothing is worse than a payment for something you didnt exactly want.

A bass boat will pull a tube no problem and please take Monte up on the ride offer...I got my Ranger from Fun-n-Sun and love it!

Ecclesiastes 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.
Re: Picking a New Boat, Opinions... #54014 05/03/06 03:51 PM
K
Karl J.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
My two cents worth.

I bought a Skeeter Fish & Ski and I love it. I bought the F&S to fish and play. If you go with a fish and ski get at least the 21', becuase the F&S the cockpit space is smaller than the same size run-about and the deck space is smaller than the same size bass boat. Here are some of the trade-off's.

Pros,
1. Storage space has not been a problem. I was initially worried about this.
2. I have no trouble pulling my fat but up on a slalom.
3. A 21' should be big enough for your family.
4. I do not give up that much speed over a comperable size bass boat. Still runs like a bat out of hell. (at least to me!)

5. Ladder

Cons,
1. The front deck is not big enough to lay extra poles down
2. I can only get about three poles in the rod holder.
3. Hard to figure out were to put the tube when not using it.

Anyway, that is just my two cents.

Re: Picking a New Boat, Opinions... #54015 05/03/06 04:31 PM
O
opti225 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
also if you buy a basscat, you can deal with the great guys at rockwall marine. timmy and his staff are just regular guys who fish too.

Re: Picking a New Boat, Opinions... #54016 05/05/06 01:53 AM
N
Nedley Offline
Angler
Angler
N
Fish-n-Ski's typically have higher resale value, they offer more comfort for the cold, or rainy days .. (I remember a few mornings of knocking the ice off my windshield, closing the passthrough and sticking a icechest up in the lower opening and blasting across the lake at full speed, relatively comfortable). Your passenger is normally protected better due to the other windshield.. and if your passenger is like my wife.. they will really appreciate the grab handle over there.
I have a bimini top for mine, that covers the complete passenger area, and when it rains.. I just find a brushpile and drown minnows for crappie, staying nice and dry the whole time.
There are alot of trade-off's with a fish-n-ski.. a diehard bass fisherman is not going to like them much, but I won't ever buy anything different, they are to universally practical to limit myself to a boat just suited for one hobby. My family of 4 loaded in my little 18' foot javelin has no problem at all with comfort or seating, and my little 3yr old girl even thinks the ladder is really cool, she can get back in all by herself.

Just my 2c worth.. I know alot of fishermen turn their noses up at fish-n-ski... I'm just the opposite though, I turn my nose up at a straight bass rig that has no wind protection, no seating to speak of and very little comfort if your just wanting to ride around for awhile.

Nedley

Re: Picking a New Boat, Opinions... #54017 05/06/06 03:48 AM
H
hookset Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
hey monte,
i like the idea about the test ride.
just need to sell my boat before i will be ready.

hookset

Hooksets are free, use as many as you like.
Re: Picking a New Boat, Opinions... #54018 05/07/06 08:18 PM
J
Jigfish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
you own your self to check them all out. I would check out the Legend Boat.

Jigfish/Legend Boats

Thanks,

The weak call it obsession, the strong call it dedication!
Jigfish

Re: Picking a New Boat, Opinions... #54019 05/08/06 09:58 PM
clove Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I have three kids and we had the same question almost four years ago. I thought about what it was going to be used for the most, and the skiing and tubing were only going to be about 10% of the use.
I bought a 20' Cobra bass boat (very similar to the Legend in layout) with a partial deck extension and a 200 EFI. Pulls skiers up no problem or a tube. The girls sit on the front deck with their feet in the well and the boy sits between me and the wife. She was leaning toward the F&S, but after going out in this and having room for four sets of skis, towels, snacks, tube etc., she is glad we got what we did. I take my fishing equipment out and have plenty of room for all the other play things. The kids really enjoy the front deck and use it for a floating dock and run and jump off of it, dive, flips, etc.
This boat just fits our family and the usage better than a F&S, and the rest of the time me and the boy are fishing out of a boat that can handle a bunch of rods on the deck and two people no problem!

Re: Picking a New Boat, Opinions... #54020 05/08/06 11:38 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Like many have said here, you need to just try out a few different styles of boats and see what suits your needs.

No-one has brought up one of the major reasons "I" will not buy a bass boat next time. And no, I don't do much bass fishing. Most bass boat hulls are designed to perform their best while "on-plane". And given this, they don't steer for squat at low speeds (trolling), and will not run at a medium to slow-medium speed at all. Most are either down in the water, or up on top. In rough water, this is a factor for me. If the wind gets up while out on the water. Your either going to take a long slow beating, or a fast rough one. Some can even provide you with a good soaking in moderatly rough water while going slow.

My point is...If you do much slower speed traveling, a Bass Boat might not be what you need for the family. But if you are chasing green fish up into the coves, and need a tackle store under the deck, then it is.

Obviously I am a member of the "got the wrong boat for me" crowd. But I got a killer deal on mine so I can't complain too much. I have caught a whole lot of Sandies, Hybrids, and Striper out of my bass boat. And even a few Bass.

Jay

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide